SF Magic Mountain gets a new President.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/...ew-president-is-a-familiar-face-for-the-park/

>>“Neal is one of the best and brightest minds in the theme park industry,” Thomas Iven, Six Flags senior vice president of U.S. park operations, said in a statement. “He is an outstanding leader, whose knowledge of park operations is unmatched. He is already very familiar with Magic Mountain — the employees, and the culture, so he is very well-situated to lead this park.”

Thurman comes to the park with a focus on improving guest services and employee relations on the heels of recent contract negotiations.<<

This is such a great move, Bonnie is off to corporate to focus on the areas she knows very well.

I would call Neal a friend, someone who has approached me at both SFMM and SFHH many times when he saw me, to say hello, ask about how we thought the park was running, both positively and negatively, and would talk about upcoming things he truly was excited about happening (improvements). He truly cares about both his employees and guests, and should help make improvements in areas such as attractions, that Bonnie wasn't as much into. But I have to love Bonnie for what she did to improve the food offerings in the parks.

To me, it is a win-win for Six Flags and the SFMM guests.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
In advance planning, I will let you know my inside info, which is always subject to change.

This year is the Crazanity large Flat ride, and a reworked midway area.

2019 big item is a major new Roller Coaster, but has not been finalized as to which specific one they will build.

But there is talk of addressing more family attractions, based on the demographics of the Season Passholders.

Rich T

But there is talk of addressing more family attractions, based on the demographics of the Season Passholders.
That's good to hear. For decades now, MM has been such a narrowly-focused coaster park, and the demolition of Log Jammer just emphasized that (though Justice League was a great step toward diversity).

Spending an entire day at a park doing nothing but waiting in line for roller coasters is not everyone's idea of a good time. I know their teen/20's demographic loves it, but MM can be so much more. I wish they'd aim for a balance like Cedar Point has; Tons of coasters AND tons of family attractions.

dweezil78

I wish they would just, at a minimum, clean and freshen up the park so it seems less... well... disgusting. Last time I was there, I went into Food Etc. and the booths/cushions looked like they hadn't been touched in 20+ years, there were spiderwebs and garbage literally everywhere inside, it was just so ghetto and unappealing to be served food in a place that looked like that. If they can't manage to keep a simple restaurant clean, it really gives me concern about the safety of their attractions.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I wish they would just, at a minimum, clean and freshen up the park so it seems less... well... disgusting. Last time I was there, I went into Food Etc. and the booths/cushions looked like they hadn't been touched in 20+ years, there were spiderwebs and garbage literally everywhere inside, it was just so ghetto and unappealing to be served food in a place that looked like that. If they can't manage to keep a simple restaurant clean, it really gives me concern about the safety of their attractions.

When was this? Last time I was there, it looked clean, saw three staff members cleaning the dining area (busy day).

Is the décor a bit outdated, yes. All the Food service areas have been upgraded in the last 3 years. They have made major changes to the Sports Bar (Former Mooseburger Lodge) and Ace 'O Clubs. I presume that Food, Etc. is line for an update in the near future.

dweezil78

When was this? Last time I was there, it looked clean, saw three staff members cleaning the dining area (busy day).

Is the décor a bit outdated, yes. All the Food service areas have been upgraded in the last 3 years. They have made major changes to the Sports Bar (Former Mooseburger Lodge) and Ace 'O Clubs. I presume that Food, Etc. is line for an update in the near future.

A month ago tops. Try walking downstairs inside to the seating area. It looks like staff hasn't been down there in years and years. Bathrooms are the same. The place is just such a dump.

Phroobar

I think they are just working their way around the park. Food, Etc is pretty awful right now. The booths rock when you move in them and the room looks pretty much like it did in the 80s. However the new Sports bar, Ace 'O Clubs and the outdoor Metropolis bar looks great. I would guess Johnny Rockets would get refurbed with the new boardwalk games area.

I hear a rumor that either Apocalypse or Viper will be going away for a new coaster. I love both rides so it will be sad to see them go. The area around Apocalypse (Cyclone Bay) really needs to be demolished and rebuilt into something new. There is so much wasted space there.

I believe they are working on it but it takes time. They don't have Disney sized resources.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-six-flags-president-20180104-story.html

>>With 19 roller coasters, Six Flags Magic Mountain has more coasters than any single park in the country. Thurman now oversees 3,000 employees in a 250-acre facility that includes a water park, Hurricane Harbor.

On Jan. 1, the park began to operate 365 days of the year as part of a plan to transform from a niche regional attraction to a major Southern California destination, rivaling competitors such as Universal Studios Hollywood and Disneyland.<<

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I think they are just working their way around the park. Food, Etc is pretty awful right now. The booths rock when you move in them and the room looks pretty much like it did in the 80s. However the new Sports bar, Ace 'O Clubs and the outdoor Metropolis bar looks great. I would guess Johnny Rockets would get refurbed with the new boardwalk games area.

I hear a rumor that either Apocalypse or Viper will be going away for a new coaster. I love both rides so it will be sad to see them go. The area around Apocalypse (Cyclone Bay) really needs to be demolished and rebuilt into something new. There is so much wasted space there.

I believe they are working on it but it takes time. They don't have Disney sized resources.

The Johnny Rockets in the Boardwalk Games area will be getting a remodel this spring, as part of the area's retheming/remodeling/enhancements.

There are major reasons why they are ending Neil back to SFMM, he is the shining star, as the chain is placing a major focus on the park to become the showcase park in the chain. He is coming with increased power and more access to the corporate checkbook.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Is SFMM worth visiting as a tag on to my next DLR trip?

Do you like Roller Coasters? Then a strong yes.

Do you Love Roller Coasters? Not to be missed, to the point that if needed, drop a day from the DLR.

And if you love Roller Coasters, add a day for Knott's Berry Farm, America's First Theme Park.

Where do you live? If you are close to a Six Flags and/or Cedar Fair park, get a Season Pass that will allow you visits to all their parks, along with the unlimited drinks, meals and photos options, they will more than pay for themselves.

On the other hand, not a big roller coaster fan, opt for Universal instead.

EricsBiscuit

Do you like Roller Coasters? Then a strong yes.

Do you Love Roller Coasters? Not to be missed, to the point that if needed, drop a day from the DLR.

And if you love Roller Coasters, add a day for Knott's Berry Farm, America's First Theme Park.

Where do you live? If you are close to a Six Flags and/or Cedar Fair park, get a Season Pass that will allow you visits to all their parks, along with the unlimited drinks, meals and photos options, they will more than pay for themselves.

On the other hand, not a big roller coaster fan, opt for Universal instead.
I'll definitely check it out. I live in Florida and am an AP to WDW and go to DL every D23 so I'll be going in 2019.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
In advance planning, I will let you know my inside info, which is always subject to change.

2019 big item is a major new Roller Coaster, but has not been finalized as to which specific one they will build.

If it didnt come from a Disney bus driver then I take it with a grain of salt :eek:

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I will easily state you should take a grain of salt on any inside info.

On the other hand, I have/had personal relationships with many park presidents and even Theme Park chain CEO's over the last 30 years or so, so do have a good feel of what is going on in the industry.

I do have to admit, Disney did a very good job keeping many out of the loop in regards to the Western Gateway project. They used the 4th Hotel project (well known) to hide the parking structure and shifting away from the Eastern gateway, at least in the short term. This includes Anaheim City staff, that was still working on Eastern Gateway related projects.

Alas, due to planning reasons, the SFMM 2019 plans have made the gossip circuit for industry insiders.

Ismael Flores

I really hope they continue to add more family style rides. i have heard great things about their new dark ride. SFMM really needs many more of those kinds of rides instead of so many flat rides.

Also hoping that Knott's goes in that direction also, i have seen so many cool small themed indoor coasters/ dark rides added in local parks around the world if Knott's and SFMM did that they would really improve their roster of attractions

Rich T

I really hope they continue to add more family style rides. i have heard great things about their new dark ride. SFMM really needs many more of those kinds of rides instead of so many flat rides.

Also hoping that Knott's goes in that direction also, i have seen so many cool small themed indoor coasters/ dark rides added in local parks around the world if Knott's and SFMM did that they would really improve their roster of attractions
The weird thing about SFMM, though, is that they have very few non-kiddie flat rides (four I think?? Scrambler, Roundup, Ship and Chair Swing) and those four have been there for decades while more than that have been removed and never replaced. The 2018 addition of Crazanity is great and much-needed, but that's a mega-thrill flat ride a lot of people can't handle. MM could use at least three or four more less-extreme flats the whole family could ride together, spread around the park.

(EDIT) The thing is, Six Flags would have to be willing to do that as just a long-term park quality investment, since it's nothing that would actually drive attendance in the short-term.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Knott's is still debating what to do in 2019.

They have a major coaster opening this year.

They know that Galaxy Edge is opening, SFMM is get a big roller coaster, and Universal is getting the World of Nintendo in 2019, plus the recent opening of The Secret Life of Pets Dark Ride.

So what to do? The Coaster World will be focusing on SoCal in June of 2019, and Knott's is one of the host parks (SFMM is the other).

So one thought is yet another Roller Coaster, to better compete with SFMM in the Long Term. Cedar Fair has a good deal for VR Theater attractions, and that is a possibility (more of a family attraction).

But Sol Spin is not working out. The Sky Cabin and Xcelerator will reopen before summer.

Space is limited, but with the Fire Station relocating on the Western Lot (The new Station is almost complete on the outside.), there is an option to build the loading station inside the park, and have the majority of the attraction built on the Western Lot, somewhat similar to how they built GhostRider.

They can also go farther to the backstage area on the south end, and shift facilities to the parking lot next to the Hotel and/or the Western Lot.

Knott's already has architectural plans for a Parking Structure on the east side of Beach Blvd. next to Soak City, but hasn't decided when to do it. But prepared for the future.

With Matt Ouimet's decision to "slow down" and allow others to make decisions, 2019 is still in limbo, but they know that Families are a significant part of their business, and is using the Peanuts brand more chain wide.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom