Seven Dwarfs Mine Train gets named.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I think it was a perceived level of the impression an attraction gave. They obviously had standards with which to give the original roster of attractions a code but I don't know of an actual checklist a ride had to tick to reach a certain level.
I would assume that ever ambiguous "ride popularity" had a good bit to do with it as well. After all, an E ticket cost more than D ticket making supply and demand a necessary metric.

Goofyernmost

@Lee or @marni1971 might know this. Back in the day when Disney used the A-E tickets, did they ever have a sort of check list for determining what attraction got an A, B, C, D, or E classification?
I don't know, but wasn't "Small World" once considered an E Ticket? We all know how thrilling that is. I think it is based more on popularity and not "thrills". That is a recent definition due to the fact that, back in the day, there were no thrill rides at Disney. Just a new kids way of definition. If it is fun, themed well and popular then that will make it an E-ticket. We shall see, I guess. Looks good from the outside.

EDIT: Sorry Marni I didn't see yours before I posted. Same thing basically though.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't know, but wasn't "Small World" once considered an E Ticket? We all know how thrilling that is. I think it is based more on popularity and not "thrills". That is a recent definition due to the fact that, back in the day, there were no thrill rides at Disney. Just a new kids way of definition. If it is fun, themed well and popular then that will make it an E-ticket. We shall see, I guess. Looks good from the outside.

EDIT: Sorry Marni I didn't see yours before I posted. Same thing basically though.
It was. As was the Tiki room and CBJ.

e.jpg

e-ticket.jpg

Lee

Adventurer
The meaning has really changed over the years, certainly since the ticket books went away.
Originally, popularity was the biggest factor. The higher the demand, the higher level ticket required. What was once an E, often is considered much lower now.

Nowadays, the scale is used more subjectively. It has come to signify the scale and scope of the attraction. Popularity isn't a factor.

WDI folks that communicate with me have, since day 1, put the Mine Train solidly in the D class. Mermaid is a C.

Nothing wrong with those ratings, the park needs rides of all levels. A D can be a great ride.

NormC

The meaning has really changed over the years, certainly since the ticket books went away.

WDI folks that communicate with me have, since day 1, put the Mine Train solidly in the D class. Mermaid is a C.

Nothing wrong with those ratings, the park needs rides of all levels. A D can be a great ride.
To be fair once the ticket books went away so did the ratings. I agree though that a "D" can be a great ride and I think the Mine coaster looks to be a great ride and well themed. Any one expecting a high speed super thrill ride has deluded themselves as Disney never intended it to be that.

Tonka's Skipper

Originally, popularity was the biggest factor. The higher the demand, the higher level ticket required. What was once an E, often is considered much lower now.

Nowadays, the scale is used more subjectively. It has come to signify the scale and scope of the attraction. Popularity isn't a factor.

Some good points, but I do believe popularity has to be a factor. The best E ticket in the world, if people don't want to ride it is not a E ticket. Popularity is indeed a factor.

As I pointed out before the Mine train may have started as a D ticket, but with the information we have now it is shaping up as a E ticket. They really did out do themselves!

AKK

NormC

No, it doesn't work that way.
Sure it does. As the ratings no longer actually exist and we only have pictures of old tickets to compare type of rides classified as E tickets we can clearly place the Mine Train in that group. I agree with you though that many are rating it a D and I am OK with that.

Goofyernmost

So what makes it an E ticket is totally subjective by someone that is making the decision. Question: Is Toy Story considered an E now? They can put any internal label on it that they want too, the proof is in the popularity. If no one likes Stitch, for example, they can classify it as an E until the cows come home, it still isn't.

I sure hope that they don't classify it by thrill, because that would be to narrow a defining field. What it all boils down to is what the people enjoy. They can have an attractions with three thousand magnificently done animatronics, massive themeing and nobody likes it. Or even makes your heart stop to the point that they have to station paramedics just outside and it still doesn't cut it if the guy/girl making the classification says no.

Lee

Adventurer
To clarify...

Forget the old ticket book rating system. Those ratings stopped being valid 30 years ago.

To the people who design and build the attractions, popularity is not a factor in determining a letter classification.

Peter Pan and Dumbo are quite popular, but that doesn't make them E tickets.

The mine train, though quite nice, does not reach the levels of scale and scope to be classified an E by WDI.

If anyone wants to have their own system, and say that it's an "E to me"...fine.

Lee

Adventurer
So what makes it an E ticket is totally subjective by someone that is making the decision. Question: Is Toy Story considered an E now? They can put any internal label on it that they want too, the proof is in the popularity. If no one likes Stitch, for example, they can classify it as an E until the cows come home, it still isn't.

I sure hope that they don't classify it by thrill, because that would be to narrow a defining field. What it all boils down to is what the people enjoy. They can have an attractions with three thousand magnificently done animatronics, massive themeing and nobody likes it. Or even makes your heart stop to the point that they have to station paramedics just outside and it still doesn't cut it if the guy/girl making the classification says no.
Toy Story is not an E.
If I recall properly, it's a D.

Tonka's Skipper

Read what I posted above.
Popularity/line length is not a factor.

Especially in a park with very few rides, specifically family ones. (By that logic, you could move Pooh to DHS and call it an E.)

Lee you are of course entitled to your opinion, but I still find that Popularity has to be a factor.

AKK

Goofyernmost

Read what I posted above.
Popularity/line length is not a factor.

Especially in a park with very few rides, specifically family ones. (By that logic, you could move Pooh to DHS and call it an E.)
Not me, Pooh is just a cheap carnival ride. Doesn't even apply to this discussion. But others do compare and if popularity is not a factor then what is? If one is going to imply by using the no longer used rating of E that it is superior and worth more then the rest then there is a reason?

I don't doubt that they use a different method to determine the rating, I'm just thinking that it makes no sense. Even Pooh, if it is a major draw, although it is a cheap carnival ride, has more value to the business the many of the others. If the purpose of classifying them isn't to know which ones are of increased value for the business then what is the purpose?

Lee

Adventurer
Not me, Pooh is just a cheap carnival ride. Doesn't even apply to this discussion. But others do compare and if popularity is not a factor then what is? If one is going to imply by using the no longer used rating of E that it is superior and worth more then the rest then there is a reason?

I don't doubt that they use a different method to determine the rating, I'm just thinking that it makes no sense. Even Pooh, if it is a major draw, although it is a cheap carnival ride, has more value to the business the many of the others. If the purpose of classifying them isn't to know which ones are of increased value for the business then what is the purpose?
Ok, fine. Forget Pooh.
My point still stands: In a ride-poor park, almost anything can get a long line.

Bottom line, popularity has no place in this discussion unless you are making up your own scale. (Which I suppose you are welcome to do.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom