Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride- "Animated Figures"

Smiddimizer

Original Poster
In the press release for the new ride, they advertised the Snow White and Seven Dwarfs AAs as "animated figures". should we expect to see fully fledged audio-animatronics along the lines of the new little mermaid ride (spectacular ride, by the way) or more like the "moving statues" we see on Winnie the Pooh or other lower-budgeted dark rides?

Any insiders are encouraged to peep in.

(Background info: the AAs on the little mermaid ride were called animated figures by the disney parks blog).

raven

Being that it's a rollercoaster I don't think super sophisticated AA's would really be necessary here. You'd more than likely pass them very quickly except for maybe in the break run area at the end.

MonorailGuy11

I was thinking this was going to be more of a Splash Mountain type ride...there will be thrills in it, but it will tell a story, slow down at times, then speed back up

MotherOfBirds

Hopefully they won't be like the figures in SWSA or PPF that maybe move at one point and the rest is a static character, like the Dopey figure that only wiggles his ears.

RSoxNo1

Being that it's a rollercoaster I don't think super sophisticated AA's would really be necessary here. You'd more than likely pass them very quickly except for maybe in the break run area at the end.

Yeah, it would probably be a bad idea to have a major selling point of a roller coaster being a super complex animatronic. That might backfire.

tirian

Yeah, it would probably be a bad idea to have a major selling point of a roller coaster being a super complex animatronic. That might backfire.

...especially if the bloated management levels and engineers can't predict what sort of foundation will be able to support the forces produced when the animatronic moves. ;)

wizards8507

...especially if the bloated management levels and engineers can't predict what sort of foundation will be able to support the forces produced when the animatronic moves. ;)

Too soon... :animwink:

I don't think animation characters lend themselves or require the super complicated AA's. The best AA's are the ones that are representing "real" people.

JLW11Hi

Too soon... :animwink:

I don't think animation characters lend themselves or require the super complicated AA's. The best AA's are the ones that are representing "real" people.

Naw, I think the best animatronics are the ones representing robots. The mechanical movement fits fine with robots, and there's nothing to hide.

But with humans and cartoon characters...they need way more articulation to pull off something engaging. They really need to figure out something better than the flapping lips we've seen on AAs for the past few decades. Even looking at the Little Mermaid videos, I just see flapping Muppet mouths instead of specific mouth shapes. (Actually, that is another thing animatronics do well: Muppets. They should make a new Muppet attraction and utilize this.)

I think the best animated representation of cartoon characters in a three dimensional form comes from the Tory Story zoetrope on display at DCA. If they could incorporate that technical concept on a grander scale, it would be pretty sweet. In fact, just using the zoetrope model itself would be great for a dark ride. Make a bunch with different characters doing some sort of loop and have it going the whole time as your car passes by. Its better than having a single statue of a character swiveling back and forth like you usually see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom