Serious Complaints?

I really only have two major complaints...

2. It's no big surprise to anyone on these boards that I absolutely despise...no, loathe...smoking. I'm not trying to rile anybody up or start a fight but I really wish that Disney would continue it's trendsetting history by banning smoking completely in both the parks and the resorts. I get so tired of seeing people wandering around the parks, smoking in non designated areas and never seeing a CM say anything to them. My wife is severely allergic to cigarette smoke and while I don't think I'm allergic to it, it does cause some breathing problems for me. It's so frustrating to get behind someone who is smoking and have it instantly put a damper on your trip because your wife's allergies start going haywire and your nose completely stops up.

I smoke and I think they should ban smoking at the parks. I really dont know why, I just dont think smoking is something that should not be done at disney parks.

lspicknall

Gift shops

I think one of my pet peeves is the blossoming of gift shops throughout the world. I have been going since the late 70's and was dismayed recently when I ventured inside the firehouse on main street and discovered it had been transformed from a turn of the century fire department, with buckets of sand on the wall, to a generic gift shop, particularly with the emporium right next door. That just removes some of the magic in order to be able to suck a couple more dollars from people.

hrcollectibles

I smoke and I think they should ban smoking at the parks. I really dont know why, I just dont think smoking is something that should not be done at disney parks.

Didn't the magic Kingdom have a tobacco shop when it first opened? I do not think banning smoking at the theme parks is a good idea. I myself am an occasional smoker (trying to quit)..

Nemo14

I think one of my pet peeves is the blossoming of gift shops throughout the world. I have been going since the late 70's and was dismayed recently when I ventured inside the firehouse on main street and discovered it had been transformed from a turn of the century fire department, with buckets of sand on the wall, to a generic gift shop, particularly with the emporium right next door. That just removes some of the magic in order to be able to suck a couple more dollars from people.
I agree - way too many generic gift shops - those and the DVC booths really detract from the magic IMHO.

echoscot

... If your a smoker and at Disney your gonna need to smoke at some point otherwise withdrawal kicks in. Which makes for a rather techy and uptight guest. The guest will have a very undisney day and so will everyone around them. ..

AMEN brother!

I don't smoke, and I can't stand the smell of it, but when Disney first introduced the ban, as a CM I know many of us were cowering when sent to the "front lines" to enforce it.

sweetale

I don't like the "if you want to fish, take out a $250 charter" rule. I like to drop a line sometimes, and I'm responsible, but you can't - anywhere - without an official tour.

That pizzes me off.

If I'm not mistaken you can still just "drop in a line" at Fort Wilderness. You can fish out of the canals that wind through the campgrounds, although you may need to rent equippment. Is this still true?:shrug:

Amy Lynn

dopeylove

My two complaints are:

1. I wish they would be more consistent in the usage of the Guest Assistance Pass. We have been on rides where they will take you in through an alternate entrance and at other times they say there is no alternate entrance (on the same ride). This happens almost every time on the Great Movie Ride. And to make it worse the CMs sometimes become so rude. To an autistic child, rouitine is very important and if you divert from that, they have a meltdown. This also happens at Nemo: The Musical. Even though there is a handicap entrance, the CMs say you have to wait on the line until you REACH the point in line where the handicap gate is. THAT is totally ridiculous to me.

2. I wish AK would stay open later.

spoodles

Lack of affordable accommodations for families of 5.

I love almost all things WDW, but in my situation I feel really taken advantage of on this. Unless you're lucky enough to get a POR w/trundle room, the difference in price if you have 3 kids instead of 2 is staggering.

AMEN brother!

I don't smoke, and I can't stand the smell of it, but when Disney first introduced the ban, as a CM I know many of us were cowering when sent to the "front lines" to enforce it.

XDDD no problemo, glad to see someone agrees

It just seems common sense to me. It is a shame but smokings a big issue that not even WDW can really deal with. You can tell people to lay off the drink and drugs at Disney and not suffer too much hassle but smokings too huge an issue for the company itself to constrict.

Plus at the same time. That person still needs to enjoy their day, smoke or no smoke. Deny their fix and their poor family/friends/accompanying guests will have a bad time and so will any CM who comes near them. Which makes it a very undisney holiday for everyone involved.

Just playing devils advocate a little. I'm no smoking fan myself and have never touched a ciggie. But regardless how disgusting it is, people who smoke are still guests. Plus at least least it's not the sort of pandering that turns out "smoke breaks" in workplaces and such. That sort of reward treatment for smokers gets my goat.

wedway71

I have two "wishes" regarding WDW-
(My wishes are directed to merchandising and retail.)

1- I wish that every store didn't carry the exact same merchandise. It used to be that you could find different things in different places- ie: more unique selections. Now every store looks the same.

2- I wish that stores carried more plus size clothing and big/tall clothing. I know that I'm not the only one. Once- I saw a 5X sweatshirt. You can't barely find a 3X in men's let alone ladies. My small sized sister-in-law wears XL so it'll be big. We're lucky if we can squeeze into one. We like to wear our clothes big, too.

Have to agree about the Retail side of your comments.
True Disney "Merchantainment" used to consist of stores being unique to their area.
Tony Mancini who used to be Vice President Global Retail Store Developement for Disney Parks did a great job of doing this.Not only did he work with Imagioneering to ensure the store Concept Design was true to its area but worked with Merchandising to ensure the products tied in as well. Of course every store would have basic staple items but the majority of the merchandise should have been themed specific.

I knew if i went to POTC shop I would see 80-90% pirate related items with a small amount of general things-now its more like 50-50.

Dingle66

The smoking issue is a sensitive one for me. My mother and sister both smoke (though I've tried for years to get them to kick it!) and though they are good people, they are highly defensive about smoking. When at Disney, they find the smoking areas to get their fix, which is fine because there are no kids in those areas typically and I don't have to go with them. Those who simply smoke wherever they want because it is "their personal right" are likely self-centered people who don't care enough about others in the first place. Our personal rights stop at the point that they have a direct, negative affect on others in a manner that they cannot control. Example: I have the right to drive a car, but if I choose to drive wherever I want, such as a sidewalk, that could pose a serious problem for others!

TOTGuy

I am big stickler for smoking, I always tell people to put it out or go to the smoking areas. Flash photography irritates me too. On my days off I will always yell NO PICTURES in a ride if they keep doing it. I also dislike the lack of empowerment. At the Land they used to give us "No Strings Attached" booklets that we could use to rectify the situation so we wouldn't have to get a manager, that was what Disney service was about, "Let me fix this" instead of "Let me get someone to finally get over here and fix this". They took them away because they thought we were abusing them and now we have to call a manager to replace a spilled popcorn, ridiculous in my mind! Disney is my life and I hate when I find rude CM's who have better positions than me. I work a rather mediocre ride and I do a really good job. They won't move me and I hate that there are other people who do a poor job who get great attractions. How is that encouraging of me to keep making magic? Happy Cast Members make for happy guests. I do my best, I'm only human.

cococola44

What I feel bad for is when people get sick on mission space

:hurl:

not a complaint...just i feel bad and i sometimes laugh

VT GAL

My two complaints are:

1. I wish they would be more consistent in the usage of the Guest Assistance Pass. We have been on rides where they will take you in through an alternate entrance and at other times they say there is no alternate entrance (on the same ride). This happens almost every time on the Great Movie Ride. And to make it worse the CMs sometimes become so rude. To an autistic child, rouitine is very important and if you divert from that, they have a meltdown. This also happens at Nemo: The Musical. Even though there is a handicap entrance, the CMs say you have to wait on the line until you REACH the point in line where the handicap gate is. THAT is totally ridiculous to me.

quote]

The explanation that we got when we recieved our Guest Assistance Card from a gentleman at EPCOT's guest services was that the Americans with Disabilities Act requires that waiting areas be large enough to accomodate wheelchairs and Powerchairs so that people with disabilities recieved no "special" treatment. And because of this, the newer attractions have lines that accomodate this and older attractions do not. I will say that some of the waiting area were more spacious and accomodated this, there were other that it was a tight squeeze that took some precission "driving". However I do agree that there should be more flexibility for certain circumstances, but it is not Disney's fault on this one...it is more of a case of CYOA!

Overall we found the pass to be useful, and the wealth of information contained in the pamphlets to be a little overwhelming. I know that is something that I will have to find out more about for the next trip with my parents!

TOTGuy

For autism you should ask for an alternate entrance pass as opposed to wheelchair. Alternate entrance if for guests that need an alternate method of waiting, boarding, etc. Usually these are the ones that will expedite your visit as opposed to wheelchair, which means they just need an accessible entrance or vehicle. Most entrances are being designed with wheelchairs in mind and therefore the pass is becoming less needed at new attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom