September Park Hours...Very Interesting

Nineinchnailsmk

Well, the park hours for september have been published (Except for MGM) and here is my question to everyone:

Is it me, or are they anticipating higher than usual park attendance by having the MK open to 8 or 9 (during the third and fourth weeks of sept?!) and EPCOT open until 9 every night? I dont know how it was last year, but two years ago when my fiancee and i went, the park hours were short (mk open until 6 or so, etc.) and the attendance was WAY down! Down to the point where we walked on EVERY ride!!! Will it be like that this year? In 2002 they offered the Fall Fling price plan i think it was called and they had drastic discounts on resort stays, not much different from the 5+2 plan offered now (in terms of room price).

What do you guys think? :brick: :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Some tweaking

Yes, as far as I know, Epcot has always been open until 9 with a finale show (now Illuminations) every night. More recently, the front of the park "closes" a few hours early.

I would like to see MK stay open another hour or two on some days in Sept/Oct.

I think Disney is being much more flexible in their times, and my guess would be that they have a solid booking number for Sept. with projections for final numbers justifying the increased hours. They will wait to get certain other projections before setting October hours.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Around Memorial Day, I remember news reports aying that the fear of traveling post 9/11 is starting to wane, and that more people are anticipating traveling this summer.

I know this is not usual, but in my neck of the woods, schools don't open until the day after Labor Day, which this year is 9/6, the latest it can possibly get. So I would bet a lot of people will be going that week who don't have kids in school yet (I'm dating a teacher and that's when we're going). After that, WDW is doing their Nights of Joy or whatever the Christian retreat thing they do is called. There is apparently, usually, a large number of people for that, too. After that, I don't know why they would stay open later, but as it was said before, if the resorts themselves are booked at a pretty high rate for the time period, they may feel justified in the hours they've chosen.

Upvote 0

scorp111

I am sure it is a combination of all the things mentioned.

Regardless, I think it is great, since I will be there in Mid. Sept. :sohappy:

I certainly don't expect it to be hugely different than years past, because the MK is only an hour later than last year.

Two years ago was only 1 year post 9/11 and I think the overall economy and especially tourism were suffering.

I do think it is interesting they did not release the MGM hours yet, but I expect we will see them soon.

Upvote 0

I went last year in September and the Magic Kingdom was closing VERY early, around 6 every night if memory serves. I am THRILLED that it will be closing at the earliest 8pm while I'm there this year! MUCH better if you ask me! I missed out on going on alot of things last year and the early closings are a factor in that so hopefully I'll get to do everything this year.

Upvote 0

Punkss

Was just wondering, what time does it get dark in the latter part of September? I would love for the girlfriend to see all in the dark! I am also muchly pleased about the increase in hours and i will be using them to the max!

Thanks again!

Upvote 0

jcarriv

Was just wondering, what time does it get dark in the latter part of September?

In early October sunset is between 7 and 7:15 so just add on a few minutes.

Why would they not post Disney/MGM Studio hours? Is it possible that it may be busy enough to justify two Fantasmic shows and they are holding out a few more days to have extra bookings to justify this?

Upvote 0

Miss Bell

When we were there a few weeks ago, and the park seemed inordinately more crowded than I remember it being at the same time of year, we talked to a CM, who said that attendence is up like 45% what is was projected to be for this year. If that trend keeps up, it may explain longer hours in what is usually a less crowded time of year.

Upvote 0

poohbear6103

I think the fact they have that Stay for 5 get 2 free special. That is why we decided to book at that time. I am glad though because I was afraid the parks would close early compared to what we are used to seeing in the summer!

Upvote 0

Nineinchnailsmk

Original Poster
Thanks for everyone's input.

Here is my second question:

What do you think the odds of E-Ride nights being available in september? I was on a list that was compiled that it looks like theyre adding more and more each year. That being said, when do they let everyone know when those nights are?

Thanks

Upvote 0

arizonacolbys

We'll be down in Sept, too & we're very excited to see the extended hours this year. :animwink: We've been down in Sept before & the MK closed at 6 - 7 pm daily. My guess is that because they are showing "Wishes" daily this year, they must stay open later. I don't think it is dark enough at 6 or 7 pm to show the fireworks. In years past the fireworks were much like Spectromagic - they only featured them on certain nights that the parks were open later.

I'm not sure it will be much busier this Sept - I think we may have just lucked out that they want to show fireworks nightly & it isn't dark early enough. :wave:

Upvote 0

scorp111

arizonacolbys said:
I'm not sure it will be much busier this Sept - I think we may have just lucked out that they want to show fireworks nightly & it isn't dark early enough. :wave:

I am normally not a lucky person...
but I can live with this.

Since the inception of WIshes last October, they have been showing it nightly, so maybe that is why.

Either way....

More time for me :)

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

Whoo Hoo!!! I'm heading down by meself to the parks in September and the hours for my 18th to the 25th trip are going to rock!!! This trip is going to be tons of fun! And the fact I'm going to be alone and I can do whatever I want according to my schedule makes it even more....FUNNER!! Excuse me while I dance now. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom