Sentinel - Disney World draining, filling in long-abandoned River Country pool

raven

We can only hope that when they do build more DVC's they are little more unique and I'm hoping another stand alone resort with character. Not just tacking on to existing resorts.
Well River Country is attached to the Fort Wilderness Campgroundand is very close to the Wilderness Lodge. Anything that's plopped here will get a similar theme (which is already planned). There aren't too many places left to build an entirely new DVC that isn't attached to another resort.

csmat99

Well River Country is attached to the Fort Wilderness Campground and is very close to the Wilderness Lodge. Anything that's plopped here will get a similar theme (which is already planned). There aren't too many places left to build an entirely new DVC that isn't attached to another resort.
I knew the amount of places left were few why I was upset how poorly they created Saratoga Springs.

csmat99

Well, how many golf courses do they have? Too many in my book. And they take up a TON of space.
I agree I don't mind them getting rid of golf course. Rather have that then tearing down trees to put up those shacks at Wilderness lodge. They took away best part of my home resort with the quiet pool there. Felt like you were away from it all.

mimitchi33

How ironic. I was reading an article about abandoned amusment parks a few nights ago and River Country was one of them. I can't wait to see it re-open!

MrHappy

An interesting watch on YouTube is from an amateur series called "Abandoned" where in one episode he gives the history and speculates about the future of River Country - pretty legit, he gathers and sources all his info. Worth a watch, just search for it in YouTube (I'm not sure if I should just provide the link....you'll figure it out). He basically says there were plans for either a DVC resort or a MODERATE resort and has video of a presentation. Of course this video didn't come out yesterday, so it doesn't explain the filling in of the pool at this juncture, but interesting nonetheless, thought I'd share.

Captain Neo

No, but those serve a purpose. This is just sitting there, abandoned. There's no reason NOT to do this, especially if it's preventative measures against Zika as I suspect.

Letting Discovery Island and River Country go abandoned and become taken over by nature has messed with the ecosystem of Bay Lake and SSL. The infestation of wildlife wouldn't be so severe had they taken these steps close to 20 years ago.

Well I hope they don't bulldoze Discovery Island. I'd rather they clean it up and just reopen it.

Next Big Thing

You do realize... this is a POOL - not all of River Country right?

This pool was significant because of its depth and it was up away from the bay water based attractions.
And a stagnant water pool can't attract mosquito's? Because i'm pretty sure they can and it's a big problem in Central FL.

NormC

I don't buy the whole mosquito story. It's just a cover to give a believable explanation as to why the are now working in the River Country area. I mean, the whole area is a swamp. Filling that pool in is not going to do a ton of good as far as mosquitos go. They already have a mosquito spraying program in place.

I can here it now. In about 6 months. You know, we realized the mosquito problem is much larger so we are filling in the old swimming hole area now too. Then another year and a half there will be a new magical DVC to sell.

View attachment 157507
I agree. There is far too much water around the property to think that filling in a small pool will make any difference in the mosquito population. I suspect it is a safety/liability issue with its close proximity to FW and WL.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
And a stagnant water pool can't attract mosquito's? Because i'm pretty sure they can and it's a big problem in Central FL.

And filling the pool because its standing water.. vs the rest of the standing water over the rest of the property in question is like putting a bucket of new paint on the titanic and calling it 'good to go!'. Its a minor fix that really won't change the tide of anything

You might also be interested in this piece of info...
"Larvae prefer shallow water that is less than 24 inches deep, so install water features that are deeper than 2 feet. Ponds or features that provide a steep slope or have vertical walls that quickly drop off into deep water will also be less favorable to mosquitoes"
http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=10847

Treating a standing, self-contained pool is trivial.. because it's contained! BI and oils are both effective at making the contained body of water unsuitable for mosquitos. And since its a contained structure that isn't transient.. it wouldn't take much to treat it and keep those current if that's what you REALLY were trying to do.

StarshipDisney

Re-opening it would be counter-productive to getting people to go to DAK.

Also, it's pretty much impossible to reopen as it is literally infested. It would take a lot of money to clean up that island.

It's hard to believe that Disney has not...and never ever will find a way to make good use of that little island. It's placement has to be perfect for something positive. Come on Imagineers...put your heads together on this one. I know you can do it.

Next Big Thing

And filling the pool because its standing water.. vs the rest of the standing water over the rest of the property in question is like putting a bucket of new paint on the titanic and calling it 'good to go!'. Its a minor fix that really won't change the tide of anything

You might also be interested in this piece of info...
"Larvae prefer shallow water that is less than 24 inches deep, so install water features that are deeper than 2 feet. Ponds or features that provide a steep slope or have vertical walls that quickly drop off into deep water will also be less favorable to mosquitoes"
http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=10847

Treating a standing, self-contained pool is trivial.. because it's contained! BI and oils are both effective at making the contained body of water unsuitable for mosquitos. And since its a contained structure that isn't transient.. it wouldn't take much to treat it and keep those current if that's what you REALLY were trying to do.
I really have no interest this conversation so I don't know what to tell you. I'm not an expert in this stuff, you've obviously "got me".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom