Sentinel: Disney policy requiring character confidentiality comes under fire

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Apparently this looks like its aimed at character integrity, busting people who post photos on facebook/instagram.

A union representing Walt Disney World performers is challenging a policy forbidding them from revealing online or in print media what characters they portray.

The company has long discouraged its entertainers from advertising which princesses or animated animals they play in the theme parks.

Teamsters representative Donna-Lynne Dalton said the company has now put in writing that employees are not to disclose online or in any kind of media — including social media, print publications or TV — what characters they play. Disney calls it "proprietary information." Over the past couple of weeks, she said, workers have had to acknowledge online that they understand the rules.

That's intrusive, said Dalton, recording secretary and business agent for the Teamsters Local 385.

"They don't work for the CIA," she said.

Dalton said the Teamsters filed a grievance with Disney's labor relations department last week. On Friday, she said, the union will file an unfair labor practice charge with the National Labor Relations Board.

The issue was never negotiated as part of the workers' contract agreement last year, she said.

"Our expectation for cast members to uphold character integrity has never changed," Disney spokesman Bryan Malenius said. Disney did not have further comment.

More than 1,200 workers at Disney greet guests dressed as characters, Dalton said. They include "fur characters" such as Winnie the Pooh, in outfits that cover the performers completely, and "face characters" such as Snow White or Cinderella.

They appear in everything from meet-and-greets to parades. Disney wants to make sure nothing shatters the illusion that the characters stepped right out of the movies. There has long been an expectation that they would not allow themselves to be seen wearing only half a costume, for example, or to reveal to children at the park that they are really actors.

"From Disney's point of view, fantasy's real," said Lee Cockerell, former executive vice president of Disney World operations. "You don't want to start disappointing kids and having this out there."

Not revealing identities is "kind of one of these professional things that people do," said Cockerell, who retired in 2006. "I really don't know if it was in writing or not, or just talked about by your trainer."

Dalton said workers know they need to preserve the Disney magic. But telling them they can't post anything about their identities, she said, is a blanket ban that takes things too far.

"Clearly, it is saying they cannot do something on their off time," she said.

Dalton said workers are wondering if they could be disciplined if family members posted such information, or if a picture they shared with a friend ended up online.

She is also wondering if Disney entertainers would get in trouble if they used the information on their resumes to get other entertaining jobs, she said.

TRONorail12

Despite anything the labor contract says, I'm sure Disney's legal department has a solid plan to back this up. All characters names, images and any other representation of such character on Disney property or at a Disney produced event, I presume would have some sort of copyright by Disney. Therefore, the use of such copyright on social media would have to be approved and licensed by Disney.

Arthur Wellesley

How is this any different then the whole facial hair debate? If it's company policy... you follow it. Even off the clock you still represent the company!
Exactly this. I choose to work for the company...I abide by their rules. It's not my place to question or dispute guidelines that I am required to follow.

For the record, yes I do keep my facial hair nicely trimmed and to the standards which the company requires...AND I also never under any circumstances on social media or elsewhere, reveal which princess I play at the parks. It's not rocket science folks.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Exactly this. I choose to work for the company...I abide by their rules. It's not my place to question or dispute guidelines that I am required to follow.

For the record, yes I do keep my facial hair nicely trimmed and to the standards which the company requires...AND I also never under any circumstances on social media or elsewhere, reveal which princess I play at the parks. It's not rocket science folks.

I see what you did there. Stubble is unbecoming on a Princess.

Last edited:

StageFrenzy

You're the Wurst, I'm sure eur o vision of beauty in your gown.

AEfx

This is one of those things that make you hate social media and how it's made everyone such self-prostitutes.

That anyone would even make this an issue shows me they are not the ones who should be doing the job if they don't understand this. They should be the ones who most want to preserve the integrity, not being crybabies about wanting to splatter on Facebook or Instagram or SnapMyJunkChat precisely which role they play.

And to a casting agent, they aren't going to give a crap what role you played, just that it was face or fully costumed character. It's something you save for the in-person audition as a cute "I'll confess to you" story (much smarter anyway), it doesn't need to be printed on your resume exactly which character you portrayed.

In this case, these characters are IP of the WDC, and these folks (who are poorly paid, I grant you, and deserve more, though that's irrelevant) are representing that character on behalf of the company. Anyone who works with any IP should full well know that putting it on social media without permission is against the rules, and common sense.

Finally, boo on the Union for making this an issue - they just gave the anti-Union folks another reason on the list to criticize unions. They should be fighting for pay, for health care, for things that matter - not what some idiot wants to post on a stupid look-at-me site because they are under the delusion that they are a mini-Kardashian.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
This whole thing seems a bit Goofy. Woody it really kill people to show some tact, instead of trying the make the union into some sort of Green Army? Man, it Baloos me away how much of a Beast this whole thing is turning into. It really kind of Sulleys the water of Entertainment. Finding people that are willing to uphold the magic should not Br'er. Bear with me, it's not like I speak from experience or anything...

NowInc

Could be a step to prevent the growing concern of "special treatment" certain guests get. A LOT of the "Random Encounters" that some of these types get are often set up in advance on social media by the moms who seek out CMs and find out what they do or who they portray. Too many don't see this as a big deal, but its gotten exponentially worse over the last year and now its starting to be noticed by regular non-observant guests as well.

asianway

This whole thing seems a bit Goofy. Woody it really kill people to show some tact, instead of trying the make the union into some sort of Green Army? Man, it Baloos me away how much of a Beast this whole thing is turning into. It really kind of Sulleys the water of Entertainment. Finding people that are willing to uphold the magic should not Br'er. Bear with me, it's not like I speak from experience or anything...
My problem is they lay down a policy like this and the characters name is in their job title. Not so at DL...
Of course DL is where they shot Modern Family. Character integrity doesn't matter to ent mgmt until they want to fire someone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom