Sentinel: Disney policy requiring character confidentiality comes under fire

s8film40

Yeah this pretty much removes any legitimacy from Disney's argument on this subject. That show is seen by millions, was clearly staged in the park using existing characters and is far worse than an employee in their off time saying what character they play.

I still say this won't be used as a tool to protect character integrity rather a tool to eliminate an unwanted employee when there is no legitimate reason for termination.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes you can. I never signed a contract that says "I shall not view adult content on my work computer," but you can be darn sure I'd be fired if I ever did.

Because that kind of policy would be in your employee code of conduct or other written policy that you are agreeing to abide by as part of your employment... you agreed to comply with the policies in bulk instead of by line item.

WDF

That's not the same thing. In that situation you are using company resources, and they have every right to limit what they can be used for. Social media is personal and not owned by the company. Regardless, as I state above, since this is a union job, all rules and regulations must be approved by the union before they can legally be implemented (now obviously companies implement new rules all the time, and that doesn't necessarily mean they run afoul of the negotiated union contract. In this situation the business rep believes they do. Disney can implement this rule, but are then subject to damages should a court decide they acted illegally).

How exactly are the costumes and wigs, etc. NOT company resources?

DisneyDebRob

I just don't understand the whole philosophy of wanting to post everything about yourself anyway. I'm not on Facebook, nor do I Twitter but I understand that people might want to do those things to keep in touch with friends or whatever. But to tell people where you work and what you do and what you just ate or when your going to the bathroom I just don't get. Maybe I'm to old school in that I pick up the phone when I want to reach someone.
Am I dating myself?:cool:

flynnibus

Premium Member
All kinds of businesses have policies about employees disclosing company information... including what you work on.

What character you portray isn't really that different from telling someone what accounts you work on (which can be a big no-no), who your customers are, what your operational items are, etc. It all could be considered company proprietary info if determined to be so ahead of time.

habuma

All kinds of businesses have policies about employees disclosing company information... including what you work on.

What character you portray isn't really that different from telling someone what accounts you work on (which can be a big no-no), who your customers are, what your operational items are, etc. It all could be considered company proprietary info if determined to be so ahead of time.

Most companies impose rules to protect the integrity of their product, regardless of whose time or resources are in play when the integrity is impacted. There are many things I can't do or say in any public arena without *at least* getting a stern warning...and possibly termination.

Disney's product includes the characters. Anything that they deem has negative impact to that product's integrity should be subject to review and correction, up to and including employee termination. It's their right and their obligation to shareholders to maintain product integrity.

Sure, I know the "secret" about characters and their friends. But children do not. And even for me, I really don't want the illusion broken. I know the secret, but in that moment that I'm there, that *IS* Mickey Mouse as far as I'm concerned. I encourage Disney to take whatever steps necessary to maintain that illusion, not just for my kids, but also for me.

As for the Modern Family episode. I love watching any show that I can vicariously visit Disney Parks through. But that one scene everyone is talking about makes me very uncomfortable for all of the reasons cited above. I wish they hadn't done that.

CaptainAmerica

Because that kind of policy would be in your employee code of conduct or other written policy that you are agreeing to abide by as part of your employment... you agreed to comply with the policies in bulk instead of by line item.
That's exactly my point. Disney's performers agree to Disney's code of conduct as well.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's exactly my point. Disney's performers agree to Disney's code of conduct as well.

Photodave commented the rules need to be well defined... saying you CAN'T have arbitrary rules.. to which you replied 'yes you can' and highlighted how you were bound by a policy you never directly signed.

I have no clue what you mean anymore... the rules were defined.. and your example of not signing a policy about one rule does not make a set of rules 'arbitrary'. The key delta is an employee has no control over company rules.. where a collectively bargined employee does through their agreed upon contract. Non-union, and non-contractor labor just have to accept whatever policy changes the company wishes - within the law.

CaptainAmerica

Photodave commented the rules need to be well defined... saying you CAN'T have arbitrary rules.. to which you replied 'yes you can' and highlighted how you were bound by a policy you never directly signed.

I have no clue what you mean anymore... the rules were defined.. and your example of not signing a policy about one rule does not make a set of rules 'arbitrary'. The key delta is an employee has no control over company rules.. where a collectively bargined employee does through their agreed upon contract. Non-union, and non-contractor labor just have to accept whatever policy changes the company wishes - within the law.
Dave seemed to imply that any rule not explicitly contained in the contract for contract performers is arbitrary. If that's how we're going to define "arbitrary rules," then that's why I stated that they can, in fact, be legitimate. Their absence from a contract does not preclude them from enforceability if they're contained elsewhere in the policy manual. In that case, they're arbitrary vis a vis the contract, but not arbitrary in total. The contract is not the sole source of legitimate authority.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Dave seemed to imply that any rule not explicitly contained in the contract for contract performers is arbitrary. If that's how we're going to define "arbitrary rules," then that's why I stated that they can, in fact, be legitimate. Their absence from a contract does not preclude them from enforceability if they're contained elsewhere in the policy manual. In that case, they're arbitrary vis a vis the contract, but not arbitrary in total. The contract is not the sole source of legitimate authority.

That's not what I said not what I implied.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

Exactly. Disney put forth more rules on the subject and the Union wants those rules spelled out specifically in te contract.

I'm not sure why/how this got complicated.

rael ramone

Do CM's still come to work & leave 'in costume'? (Instead of changing on property on company time like it was originally?)

If so, what does that do 'to the magic' to see a JC skipper pumping gas out at the Hess... or going to a Burger King to change there into his BK uniform to supplement his slave wages...

asianway

Do CM's still come to work & leave 'in costume'? (Instead of changing on property on company time like it was originally?)

If so, what does that do 'to the magic' to see a JC skipper pumping gas out at the Hess... or going to a Burger King to change there into his BK uniform to supplement his slave wages...
Entertainment can't take their costumes home

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.

I rather disliked seeing a Mansion maid shopping at Publix... But that's Disneys fault, not the CM's.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

Yes, that's allowed. Of course I agree with you because that's awkward when I running to Wawa and I would find someone in costume… I think that change keep a balance in the mid to thousands when they built the new costuming/cast services building back by Westclock behind Magic Kingdom but I can't remember.

What I do remember was there being a change to walk time and that being somehow connected to being able to go home or to work in costume.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom