Sell SSR for HH?

Crafty

Original Poster
We own points at SSR and AKV. We really enjoy staying at AKV, but not SSR. We just returned from four days at HHI and had a wonderful time.

We are considering selling our SSR points and buying HHI. That way we would have all our points where we like to stay.

Since the contract at HHI is shorter and the maintenance is a lot higher, we are not sure. If we could get late Spring (May) and Fall (Sept, Oct) reservations at HHI with the SSR points, it might not make sense to sell.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tom

Beta Return
Personally, I would never own at HH or VB, unless I was only ever going to stay at one of them. The maintenance fees are significantly higher, and you never have the opportunity to book anywhere at WDW at 11 months.

We own SSR and have never stayed there, but if we wanted to visit WDW during a busy time (not likely, but possible), we would at least know we could get in at SSR at 11.

I don't think you'll have trouble getting in at HH as long as you book at the 7-month window.

To each their own.

slappy magoo

Personally, I would never own at HH or VB, unless I was only ever going to stay at one of them. The maintenance fees are significantly higher, and you never have the opportunity to book anywhere at WDW at 11 months.

We own SSR and have never stayed there, but if we wanted to visit WDW during a busy time (not likely, but possible), we would at least know we could get in at SSR at 11.

I don't think you'll have trouble getting in at HH as long as you book at the 7-month window.

Depends on when. It can be difficult during the summer months.

We are SSR owners. We've booked HH 3 times - a 3 night stay in August of 07 (started in a studio, opted to pay extra to get the 1BR for the final 2 nights, and there's a very good chance that 1BR was available because our trip coincided with Katrina), 5 nights in April of '10 (1BR), and 6 nights in May of '13 (2BR). Didn't have trouble. But if I wanted to book any time between June and mid August? Could be tricky. There aren't many units.

To the OP, consider this - Tom makes a good point about the difference in dues. Right now I think HHI dues are $1.36 pp higher than SSR. You might make out all right for a bit because you'll probably get more for your sale of SSR than you'd pay to buy HHI resale. But you'd probably, usually, be in a position to trade points any given year with a HHI owner who'd either like to guarantee a stay at SSR or would like to guarantee a stay ANYWHERE on WDW property at an 11 month window. By negotiating trades for points on those years, you'll get your HHI stays without paying HHI dues. And then of course, you'd have a few extra years of trips this way when HHR owners' deeds revert back to DVC.

But if that seems like too much of a hassle, listen to your heart, sell if you want.

One more thing to consider - depending on the time of year and size of room, rack rates for Hilton Head rooms tend to be much much less than rack rates for DVC resort rooms, and you'd get a DVC member discount on top of that. IF rooms are available.

Crafty

Original Poster
At this time, we are thinking of adding on instead of selling SSR. We have not had trouble using SSR in the past and have decided not to sell until we can't use it at the 7 month window.

The same question arises, though. Where do we add on? I am leaning toward AKV because the maintenance is still $.30 less than HHI and the contract is longer.

We buy resale so VGF is out. Still in the running for a resale contract are HHI, SSR, and AKV.

What do you think? This will be our last contract and I want to make the right choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom