Self-service beverage stations

Tamandua

Original Poster
I saw a story about self-service beverage stations returning to Disney World as Florida continues to be streets ahead of California in covid recovery.

I always wondered... What's the refill policy at these places like the pizza port where they have self-serve beverage stations? I've gotten refills, but I've never been quite sure if that's encouraged or not.

fctiger

I saw a story about self-service beverage stations returning to Disney World as Florida continues to be streets ahead of California in covid recovery.

I always wondered... What's the refill policy at these places like the pizza port where they have self-serve beverage stations? I've gotten refills, but I've never been quite sure if that's encouraged or not.

I know at Pizza Port, you use to be allowed to get one refill. I think you show your receipt and they mark it or something. But my guess is people just went and got refills as much as they want. The refill thing is just so bizarre because different restaurants had different polices in the same freaking park. In some restaurants like Tomorrowland Galactic Grill, you couldn't get any refills at all. But places like the Rancho Del Zocalo restaurant in Frontierland you can park yourself at the refill station and have at it.

I do think most places let you have one refill at least but no clue now obviously.

Tamandua

Original Poster
I know at Pizza Port, you use to be allowed to get one refill. I think you show your receipt and they mark it or something. But my guess is people just went and got refills as much as they want. The refill thing is just so bizarre because different restaurants had different polices in the same freaking park. In some restaurants like Tomorrowland Galactic Grill, you couldn't get any refills at all. But places like the Rancho Del Zocalo restaurant in Frontierland you can park yourself at the refill station and have at it.

I do think most places let you have one refill at least but no clue now obviously.
I remember getting scolded by a cast member at DCA when I went to get a refill at a self serve station shortly before the shutdowns. I'm surprised they cared enough to stop me. I mean I had the cup. I had obviously paid the high price for a drink. What's it matter to them if I get a refill or not? But at the pizza port I never had an issue.

fctiger

Yeah it's just so weird. And I can imagine how confusing it is to people who are coming to DL for the first time or vacationing. Most of the time when you see a self service station you assume it's automatic refills as you get in fast food restaurants, movie theaters, etc or why have a self service station to begin with. I'm old enough to remember when you went to a fast food place or movie theater, you didn't get refills at all, but clearly soda has become as cheap as water in these places so it's pretty common everywhere. You would assume the same in theme parks, at least one refill per meal.

I think they should just have all restaurants have one policy and call it a day. Either refill or don't. OR, this being Disney, just add an extra charge for people who want refills and make it extra clear on the menu. Done.

truecoat

I remember getting scolded by a cast member at DCA when I went to get a refill at a self serve station shortly before the shutdowns. I'm surprised they cared enough to stop me. I mean I had the cup. I had obviously paid the high price for a drink. What's it matter to them if I get a refill or not? But at the pizza port I never had an issue.

You're talking 10-15 cents in soda at best but it's not what it costs, it's how much money they aren't making. For me, if I couldn't get a refill free, I'd just drink some water after that.

Stevek

I'm somewhat surprised that Disney didn't introduce refillable mugs out here though given that 50% of park guests on any day are APs, maybe it makes sense vs WDW that has far more vacationers.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
You're talking 10-15 cents in soda at best
If you are factoring in just the cost of the syrup, then sure, but that's not all that restaurants factor in on the cost of fountain drinks.

Depending on how many dispensers there are and if the machine has a built-in ice maker, those machines can easily cost $10,000 to $15,000 not including installation. The recouping of that cost is factored into the cost of selling the soda. For small businesses that's a lot to recoup. For Disney, it's probably not that big of a deal and they inflate all of their food/beverage prices anyway because they can.

truecoat

If you are factoring in just the cost of the syrup, then sure, but that's not all that restaurants factor in on the cost of fountain drinks.

Depending on how many dispensers there are and if the machine has a built-in ice maker, those machines can easily cost $10,000 to $15,000 not including installation. The recouping of that cost is factored into the cost of selling the soda. For small businesses that's a lot to recoup. For Disney, it's probably not that big of a deal and they inflate all of their food/beverage prices anyway because they can.

I wasn't talking about other places and almost every place has free refills anyway.

Zorro 2.0

I remember once being told at Rancho del Zocalo to have my receipt handy when getting a refill, but from all of the times I've been there, I've never observed anyone being interrogated for trying to get a refill. I don't recall ever hearing about refill limits either.

MagicWDI

I remember once being told at Rancho del Zocalo to have my receipt handy when getting a refill, but from all of the times I've been there, I've never observed anyone being interrogated for trying to get a refill. I don't recall ever hearing about refill limits either.
I also used to get free refills at Rancho with no problem... But my last attempt in Jan 2020 they stopped me and said they unfortunately ended free refills. This only happened once and I didn't get a second opinion from another CM. But if true it is unfortunate, yet not life ending to me. I need to drink more water anyways.

Tamandua

Original Poster
Whatever the actual policy is, I feel like it shouldn't be enforced. I think any cast member that would stop a customer from getting a self-serve refill in their $25 souvenir sipper is just trying to ruin someone's day.

At least they don't have the cups with rfid chips like at Universal and Legoland. Last time I went to universal, I bought a large soda in the Simpsons area and tried to get a diet coke. The machine malfunctioned after it read the chip, then wouldn't even let me get the first drink I paid for. When I went to tell an employee what happened, they looked at me like I was trying to steal soda and only reluctantly gave me another cup.

truecoat

Whatever the actual policy is, I feel like it shouldn't be enforced. I think any cast member that would stop a customer from getting a self-serve refill in their $25 souvenir sipper is just trying to ruin someone's day.

At least they don't have the cups with rfid chips like at Universal and Legoland. Last time I went to universal, I bought a large soda in the Simpsons area and tried to get a diet coke. The machine malfunctioned after it read the chip, then wouldn't even let me get the first drink I paid for. When I went to tell an employee what happened, they looked at me like I was trying to steal soda and only reluctantly gave me another cup.

And then there's Holiday World where the price of admission includes sunscreen and all the pop you can drink.

Zorro 2.0

I also used to get free refills at Rancho with no problem... But my last attempt in Jan 2020 they stopped me and said they unfortunately ended free refills. This only happened once and I didn't get a second opinion from another CM. But if true it is unfortunate, yet not life ending to me. I need to drink more water anyways.
Interesting. My last visit was in May 2019 so perhaps there was some change in policy. That said, the combination of self-service dispensers and a "no refill" policy is plainly not viable unless they intend to plant an employee in front of the dispenser. If they're that serious about it, getting rid of the dispensers is about the only workable option.

MagicWDI

Interesting. My last visit was in May 2019 so perhaps there was some change in policy. That said, the combination of self-service dispensers and a "no refill" policy is plainly not viable unless they intend to plant an employee in front of the dispenser. If they're that serious about it, getting rid of the dispensers is about the only workable option.
Or a sign... Love those signs

truecoat

Just tell them it's for your father so he can take his medicine. A cup full of sugar helps the medicine go down.

Rich T

Why are people obsessed with soda???? I mean... No one should be drinking so much of it that it becomes a major vacation planning point.

MagicWDI

Why are people obsessed with soda???? I mean... No one should be drinking so much of it that it becomes a major vacation planning point.
I'm with you on this. When I was in my 20s I would plan out all the restaurants with free refills, trying to get the most bang for my buck. Now I notice how sluggish I get when I drink too much soda. I'll still get a soda to help wash down a nice meal, but no longer do I feel the need to have more than just one. If I'm gonna chug anything it's some nice cool water.

Stevek

I used to drink quite a bit of diet coke, pretty much every day, for years. I've given it up for probably 2-3 years now after my body started having muscle aches and terrible heartburn. Miraculously went away. I might have a very rare root beer now and then but I'm probably more of an iced tea and water guy now...oh, and tiki drinks ;)

It certainly wouldn't now or have ever made any trip planning list for me. Completely irrelevant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom