Seeking airbnb advice

SteveBrickNJ

For the first time ever I've used airbnb and booked a property in Virginia for 8/19, 8/20, & 8/21
Paid in full on the website. A few weeks ago.
The host responded to my questions back then when I selected "Contact the Host" on the airbnb website.
Now I think I've scared her off with a request.
Here's what's happened:
My wife and I need to move our daughter into her college dorm on Fri. 8/20
We are arriving to our airbnb near the college the night before.
So my wife and I will sleep at the airbnb Nights 1, 2 and 3 (8/19, 8/20 & 8/21)
Our daughter will sleep in the airbnb only during Night One (8/19)...our daughter will sleep in her college dorm from then on.
Sooooooo....when I booked the airbnb which has two beds, I didn't bother to mention my daughter.
I entered into the airbnb website:
2 adults, 3 nights
Yet now I've privately confessed to the airbnb host of the property that I did not want the hassle to book Night One for 3 people...pay for that...and then make a separate booking for Nights Two and Three (2 people) and pay for that. I was a rookie to airbnb and I wanted to keep it simple.
In a private email I told the host I just want to keep the fact that my daughter will be in the airbnb only on Night One between the host and myself. In the private email I've offered to 1) pay the host the appropriate "extra" amount in cash....or...2)Leave a generous tip at the end of our 3 night stay.
Yet my email asking to discuss this has been ignored. I've posted on the host's airbnb messaging twice that I've sent her (the host) an email and I'd be grateful for a response.....yet that public airbnb message has gone unanswered and my private email to the host has gone unanswered.
ANY ADVICE????? (I'm thinking she is afraid the airbnb company will find out and remove her from their network)

Last edited:

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
For the first time ever I used airbnb and booked a property in Virginia for 8/19, 8/20, & 8/21
The host responded to my questions back then when on the website when I selected "Contact the Host".
Here's what's happened:
So my wife and I will sleep at the airbnb Nights 1, 2 and 3
Our daughter will sleep in the airbnb only during Night 1...our daughter will sleep in her dorm from then on.
Sooooooo....when I booked the bnb which has two beds, I didn't mention my daughter.
2 adults, 3 nights
Yet now I've confessed to the airbnb host of the property that I did not want the hassle to book Night One for 3 people...pay for that...and then make a separate booking for Nights 2 and 3 (2 people) and pay for that. I was a rookie to airbnb and I wanted to keep it simple.
I just want to keep the fact that my daughter will be in the airbnb on Night One only between the host and myself. In the private email I've offered to pay the host the appropriate "extra" amount in cash.
Yet my email asking to discuss this has been ignored. I've posted on the host's airbnb messaging twice that I've sent her (the host) an email and I'd be grateful for a response.....yet that public airbnb message has gone unanswered and my private email to the host has gone unanswered.
ANY ADVICE????? (I'm thinking she is afraid the airbnb company will find out and remove her from their network)
Yet I wish she'd say something! I'll rebook it in an official manner if needed.
Just....

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

The fact that you suggested keeping something between you-and-her might well have made her nervous, since you seemed to think you were doing something nefarious. However, I wouldn't panic yet. If you don't hear from her in a day or two, write again, apologize for having potentially made a rookie mistake, and ask if she'd prefer that you rebook your stay another way or simply modify it. Perhaps the most diplomatic way to put it (again) would be, "this is a non-standard stay since one of the guests will only be there the first night: how should I book this, in order to minimize hassles for _you_?" If she doesn't get back to you after that, it would be best to find another accommodation, with a more responsive host. If you show up with more guests than the number for which you booked, without any special agreement with your host, she could potentially deny you entry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MinnieM123

Premium Member
For the first time ever I've used airbnb and booked a property in Virginia for 8/19, 8/20, & 8/21
The host responded to my questions back then when I selected "Contact the Host" on the airbnb website.
Here's what's happened:
So my wife and I will sleep at the airbnb Nights 1, 2 and 3 (8/19, 8/20 & 8/21)
Our daughter will sleep in the airbnb only during Night One (8/19)...our daughter will sleep in her college dorm from then on.
Sooooooo....when I booked the airbnb which has two beds, I didn't bother to mention my daughter.
2 adults, 3 nights
Yet now I've privately confessed to the airbnb host of the property that I did not want the hassle to book Night One for 3 people...pay for that...and then make a separate booking for Nights Two and Three (2 people) and pay for that. I was a rookie to airbnb and I wanted to keep it simple.
In a private email I told the host I just want to keep the fact that my daughter will be in the airbnb only on Night One between the host and myself. In the private email I've offered to 1) pay the host the appropriate "extra" amount in cash....or...2)Leave a generous tip at the end of our 3 night stay.
I don't have any experience at all with airbnb, so sorry, I cannot be of help. My "guess" only is that whatever they advertise for the place you reserved, is the final description. (My hunch is that it's not like booking a hotel room, for example, where they could maybe just roll in a cot for 1 night. Maybe the airbnb places don't normally allow substitutions--again, only a guess.) Hopefully, someone else may be able to assist you with your inquiry.

Upvote 0

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
So they charge per adult and not as a daily fee? It was nice of you to offer to pay the fee. I never did airbnb only did vrbo once. They just charged a daily rate for the house.
airbnb has a service fee per guest...per night
So the "house" or "apartment" has a base price, but a "service fee" is added to that base price.
Three people for Night One means two beds will be slept in instead of one. More work for the host after we leave.
One extra dirty towel too.
It makes sense.
Yet I truly was just trying to make my first ever airbnb booking simpler. One booking,...one confirmation number ;)
Can you see it from my point of view?

Upvote 0

MySmallWorldof4

airbnb has a service fee per guest...per night
So the "house" or "apartment" has a base price, but a "service fee" is added to that base price.
Three people for Night One means two beds will be slept in instead of one. More work for the host after we leave.
One extra dirty towel too.
It makes sense.
Yet I truly was just trying to make my first ever airbnb booking simpler. One booking,...one confirmation number ;)
Can you see it from my point of view?
Totally. Hope the owner gets back to you soon. There is still time.

Upvote 0

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
The fact that you suggested keeping something between you-and-her might well have made her nervous, since you seemed to think you were doing something nefarious. However, I wouldn't panic yet. If you don't hear from her in a day or two, write again, apologize for having potentially made a rookie mistake, and ask if she'd prefer that you rebook your stay another way or simply modify it. Perhaps the most diplomatic way to put it would be, "this is a non-standard stay since one of the guests will only be there the first night: how should I book this, in order to minimize hassles for _you_?" If she doesn't get back to you after that, it would be best to find another accommodation, with a more responsive host. If you show up with more guests than the number for which you booked, without any special agreement with your host, she could potentially deny you entry.
AFTER posting this thread, I went back to the airbnb messaging page and noticed that airbnb put a flag icon next to the message where I told the host to kindly check her email. I bet THAT FLAG 🚩 scared her off.
Yet she could've posted like this: "Please follow the airbnb guidelines by posting here on the airbnb messaging system. I'll be happy to answer your inquiry once you've done that. Thank you!"
If I was her, that's the way I'd handle it.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

AFTER posting this thread, I went back to the airbnb messaging page and noticed that airbnb put a flag icon next to the message where I told the host to kindly check her email. I bet THAT FLAG 🚩 scared her off.
Yet she could've posted like this: "Please follow the airbnb guidelines by posting here on the airbnb messaging system. I'll be happy to answer your inquiry once you've done that. Thank you!"
If I was her, that's the way I'd handle it.

I agree. Keep in mind that some hosts are new to this sort of thing, or just aren't very tech-savvy. There's also the possibility your e-mail simply went into a spam folder, etc.

Upvote 0

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I agree. Keep in mind that some hosts are new to this sort of thing, or just aren't very tech-savvy. There's also the possibility your e-mail simply went into a spam folder, etc.
Thanks for your time on my thread. Sincerely.
Yet I don't think your speculation is on the mark.
She is an experienced host who has interacted with clients electronically for years.
The more I think about it.... the airbnb corporation has evidence that I requested to email her privately without airbnb seeing it, and then airbnb put a flag right next to my request to communicate via email.... So....
I think I should go back to that airbnb messaging thread and:
1) Apologize for not following the airbnb policy of asking questions thru their messaging system
2) Ask how I can modify my reservation to reflect that on Night One we will be 3 guests but on Nights Two and Three we only be 2 guests.

Upvote 0

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
Thanks for your time on my thread. Sincerely.
Yet I don't think your speculation is on the mark.
She is an experienced host who has interacted with clients electronically for years.
The more I think about it.... the airbnb corporation has evidence that I requested to email her privately without airbnb seeing it, and then airbnb put a flag right next to my request to communicate via email.... So....
I think I should go back to that airbnb messaging thread and:
1) Apologize for not following the airbnb policy of asking questions thru their messaging system
2) Ask how I can modify my reservation to reflect that on Night One we will be 3 guests but on Nights Two and Three we only be 2 guests.
At 4:45pm EST, that's what I did.
I'll report back on this thread once I get a response.

Upvote 0

cdeev8690

In my experience, any time a guest wants to do something 'off app' - whether that's communication or payment, it is a red flag for me. Any communication or compensation outside of the app cannot be used to protect either you or your host. This could be perceived to be a scam by the host and that's why you're now seeing that your message has been flagged. This means that it's been reported to Airbnb as suspicious and they will investigate it.

This could be a problem that your account has now been reported as potentially fraudulent. I think in this instance, it might be best to cancel this reservation and find another host to accommodate you, but only conduct correspondence within the app and no mention of outside payments.

It's easy to think of airbnb as a 'hotel' type of service if that's what you're accustomed to, but in many cases these are peoples homes so it's a delicate balance to make sure both the host and the guest are comfortable. It does not take a lot to scare hosts off if they are uncomfortable with the requests or messages.

Upvote 0

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
In my experience, any time a guest wants to do something 'off app' - whether that's communication or payment, it is a red flag for me. Any communication or compensation outside of the app cannot be used to protect either you or your host. This could be perceived to be a scam by the host and that's why you're now seeing that your message has been flagged. This means that it's been reported to Airbnb as suspicious and they will investigate it.

This could be a problem that your account has now been reported as potentially fraudulent. I think in this instance, it might be best to cancel this reservation and find another host to accommodate you, but only conduct correspondence within the app and no mention of outside payments.

It's easy to think of airbnb as a 'hotel' type of service if that's what you're accustomed to, but in many cases these are peoples homes so it's a delicate balance to make sure both the host and the guest are comfortable. It does not take a lot to scare hosts off if they are uncomfortable with the requests or messages.
Please talk with me more.
Why would they think it is a scam?
When I booked it I paid all 3 nights in full.
They hit my credit card immediately for the 3 nights. They have my real money via my Mastercard!
All I want to do is add my daughter for Night One.
I've come clean on their website messaging that I made a rookie mistake using email to attempt to accomplish that and I want to follow airbnb policy and make it right. By the way....
IT IS TOO LATE TO CHOOSE ANOTHER PLACE. THIS IS THE NIGHT BEFORE ALL THE COLLEGE KIDS MOVE INTO THEIR DORM. EVERYTHING NEAR THE COLLEGE IS TAKEN ALREADY.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cdeev8690

Please talk with me more.
Why would they think it is a scam?
When I booked it I paid all 3 nights in full.
They hit my credit card immediately for the 3 nights. They have my real money via my Mastercard!
All I want to do is add my daughter for Night One.
I've come clean on their website messaging that I made a rookie mistake using email to attempt to accomplish that and I want to follow airbnb policy and make it right. By the way....
IT IS TOO LATE TO CHOOSE ANOTHER PLACE. THIS IS THE NIGHT BEFORE ALL THE COLLEGE KIDS MOVE INTO THEIR DORM. EVERYTHING NEAR THE COLLEGE IS TAKEN ALREADY.

I'm just telling you what the red flag means in your messages. You can trying calling Airbnb and discuss it with them.

Upvote 0

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
I'm just telling you what the red flag means in your messages. You can trying calling Airbnb and discuss it with them.
Since your earlier post on that topic I've tried communicating electronically and it sure seems I've been tried and convicted already. My typing seems as if it is on an unmonitored thread. No one is responding. You'd think I'd commited a crime or something. They have my money and I'm trying to follow their rules and they've abandoned me.
When I have a chance this afternoon I will call them.
Can you provide me the best phone number in which to do that?

Upvote 0

SteveBrickNJ

Original Poster
In case others are reading this thread and wish to learn from my experience...
The airbnb Resolution Center Phone # is 1-844-234-2500
The representative left a voice mail with the host and sent her a message as well.
He will message me once she responds and then I will potentially pay more money to add my daughter.
The representative was quite patient, professional and helpful.
I can only hope that the host will come even close to his approach with me. I'm so tired of her ignoring me.

Upvote 0

bee

Looks like your situation was resolved, but wanted to add my two cents in case people have similar questions in the future.

I am not an AirBNB host, but I am a freelancer and some of my work comes from sites where all communication and billing is done through the site. When potential clients ask to either pay me directly outside the site, or to communicate directly by phone or email before the client has booked the service, I see it as a red flag. Services like these exist not only to connect clients and freelancers who would not otherwise connect, but also to protect both parties from shady business. Not to mention, if I did circumvent the site I'm using and accept direct payment I could be banned from the service and lose a big chunk of my income.

I imagine the rules for AirBNB are similar and this is why the host and the company representative treated you in a possibly negative way.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom