Seeking additional budget 'hacks' that you may use

Schweino

Hello all. I wanted to see if anyone had any additional budget 'hacks' they use to pay off their Disney vacation. The main reason is my wife, while she has had a great time both our trips, doesn't want to spend the money to go back and would like to experience other things. I, however, want to go back and want to surprise her with a low cost trip so she is excited and not frustrated LOL. Below is what I have so far:

1. Target Red Card - 5% off Disney Gift Cards and use the gift cards to make payments to my vacation package. Pretty sure this is still a thing and the Disney site allows you to use GC's to pay down your booking. Anyone use this recently and can confirm?

2. Stacking up cashback from credit card - I have the Citi double cash card and we literally route every charge through that thing (utilities, insurance and even church tithing (we pay 1.5% to cover processing fee)). Going to let this accumulate until we go back. 2% cash back and I don't need to juggle different cards for simplicity.

One thing to call out is that I already had the Disney Chase card and cancelled it (used it during our December trip to get that statement credit). Since I am making payments, having that financing isn't needed, as well as using the Target Red Card idea.

Looking for any other budget hacks you use where maybe I have never thought of before. TIA!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe Disney could hire the team that wrote the Chick-Fil-A app. It allows storage of gift cards and other payment methods, thhe ability to use or not use the funds in gift cards or other payment methods, combine gift cards, etc. I mean, if it can be done for a fast food place, why not for Disney mobile ordering?

the Chick-fil-A app/buyer program is the best anywhere

Disney is bad at IT

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do an envelope savings plan where I number 100 envelopes from 1-100 and every week my husband and I alternate picking 2 of the envelopes. We are paid alternately every 2 weeks, so we are paid weekly if that makes sense. At the end of the year, after all the envelopes have been filled, it is $5050.00. We do it as soon as we get paid, so it really is no big deal at all. Always a nice payoff at the end.

if you used the target debit card...that would’ve cost you $4797.50

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

Probably makes the most sense

though the app won’t store the gift card...that’s annoying
I don't order much through mobile ordering or quick service, so not as much of an annoyance for me. However, I do agree that they should be stored. The Bath & Body Works and Kohl's app stores gift card information. As someone else said, Disney is lacking in the IT department and to be honest, I have serious reservations about their ability to keep the information safe. If anything, their gift card site should be a mobile wallet like the previous apps I mentioned.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

uncle jimmy

Premium Member
I should of clarified in my original post that I wasn't necessarily looking for ways to save money while at Disney. We do love doing table service eating and probably would stay at a mod resort this time around (waiting for POR). More so, how did you find ways to stack up little bits here and there up until your trip? Which there was some good ideas :)

Thanks again all!
May I suggest something that worked for me back in the day when I was living paycheck to paycheck. I was able to save thousands in a couple months and used the process for multiple trips and other things (like your pipe) that pop-up.
I would move money from my checking account into my savings account. I started out monthly with moving $200 at the end of the month into my savings account. After 2 months, I discovered that I could move more money, So I went to $400 a month... and eventually I ended up at pulling into my savings account $800 at the end of each month.
A couple things to think about when doing this:
-Have a savings account tied to a checking/debit account, all under the same bank (this is to help with no fees or over-drawls)
-Look at all your monthly bills and expenses and note when & how much those will be.
-How much can you save from the difference it what you earn vs. monthly bills?
-Look at where you are spending non-bills expenses at... lottery, clothing, Fast food/drink places, eating out places?
-Where can you save on things you spend on? food, clothing, entertainment, etc... This is where you cut on things that aren't dire for you (like buying a coffee drink each day or buying lunch each day... those expenses add up so learn to make the drinks you like, make it at home and pack your lunch!!!!)

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I usually start a go fund me page that goes something like this:

"Need Money for Jet Fuel - Not Enough to get Private Jet to Walt Disney World"
or
"Family of Eight May not be able to afford Club Level Stay at Grand Floridian This Year"
or
"Club 33 Membership about to Expire after 30 short years"

As you can imagine this sort of thing really tugs at people's heart strings and can generate quite a bit of sympathy not to mention the cash that goes along with it.

Joking of course...unless someone is willing to contribute, I mean these private jets don't run on solar!!!

In all seriousness, everything I've used to save a few bucks has been listed already, and I learned a new one (buying Disney gift cards with the Target Red Card)!

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

Yard sale, Posh Mark/Mercari, consignment stores. Clean out the closets, garage, basement, playroom. We have 6 kids, hate clutter and love Disney. In the Spring we set a date and start cleaning out the house. I sell our high dollar clothing items on Mercari/Poshmark. I take the good kid stuff and home decor to consignment shops and the rest is yard sale. I promote on FB marketplace and list items there as well. At the end of the year sale we pack up what’s and donate the rest...I love the empty garage almost as much as the Disney Trip😂
In 2019 we made about $900.00 in 6 weeks or so
Good luck :)

Upvote 0

eliza61nyc

THIS..... ALL Disney sites should start off their planning information and tips pages with a statement like this. We never go on a WDW trip without knowing that we can absolutely afford it. Weve put off many trips to WDW because we had other obligations to pay for or knew our business wasnt having a good enough year and we just couldnt justify going. As much as I wanted to go, DW was level headed and put her foot down, and I was smart enough to listen to her.
Each of our trips are planned so we know almost down to the penny what we are going to be spending, with money in reserve for extras that may come, and we are certain we have the available funds.
lol actually we keep that attitude with any vacation we take.

Upvote 0

eliza61nyc

I don’t see how “low cost” and Disney go together anymore?

it used to be possible...but Iger pride jumps really killed. Your paying hyperinflated “discounts” on rooms...full price each day for tickets and every add on - more or less...and now hyper priced food driven by the non-existent dining plan (designed by PT Barnum)

if you want someone to say “wow...that’s not a bad price!”...2021-22 in wdw isn’t your spot.
a bit off topic

lol Sir, try the Jersey shore. It's gotten crazy expensive too. We booked a week at the shore condo and it's 3600 bucks. WTH?? and nope it is not beachfront or beach block.
I think they jacked up the cost because it was still one of the few places you could go during the pandemic. Folks were complaining about the same thing last winter at the ski resorts.

Upvote 0

eliza61nyc

Yard sale, Posh Mark/Mercari, consignment stores. Clean out the closets, garage, basement, playroom. We have 6 kids, hate clutter and love Disney. In the Spring we set a date and start cleaning out the house. I sell our high dollar clothing items on Mercari/Poshmark. I take the good kid stuff and home decor to consignment shops and the rest is yard sale. I promote on FB marketplace and list items there as well. At the end of the year sale we pack up what’s and donate the rest...I love the empty garage almost as much as the Disney Trip😂
nice tip. may try this come the summer

Upvote 0

Lilofan

One family nearby had a garage sale. With so many people working from home there were so many families going to the garage sale ( during the work week ) shopping and buying. One person's junk is another person's treasure.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
a bit off topic

lol Sir, try the Jersey shore. It's gotten crazy expensive too. We booked a week at the shore condo and it's 3600 bucks. WTH?? and nope it is not beachfront or beach block.
I think they jacked up the cost because it was still one of the few places you could go during the pandemic. Folks were complaining about the same thing last winter at the ski resorts.

I don’t need to try it...I have a house there 🤪

But you know that’s a red herring, Liz

the proper comps would be Orlando, other local competitors or similar sunbelt type enterprises...cruises to a certain extent.

it’s not Long Beach island or Other short term outings like nfl games, U2 concerts or Hamilton

it’s about value and Disney pricing has certainly exceeded any type of CPI based strategy since the year 2000-2005 ish.

that’s all Bob...who will be lambasted for everything now that he’s gone...just like Michael was.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom