Seeking additional budget 'hacks' that you may use

Schweino

Hello all. I wanted to see if anyone had any additional budget 'hacks' they use to pay off their Disney vacation. The main reason is my wife, while she has had a great time both our trips, doesn't want to spend the money to go back and would like to experience other things. I, however, want to go back and want to surprise her with a low cost trip so she is excited and not frustrated LOL. Below is what I have so far:

1. Target Red Card - 5% off Disney Gift Cards and use the gift cards to make payments to my vacation package. Pretty sure this is still a thing and the Disney site allows you to use GC's to pay down your booking. Anyone use this recently and can confirm?

2. Stacking up cashback from credit card - I have the Citi double cash card and we literally route every charge through that thing (utilities, insurance and even church tithing (we pay 1.5% to cover processing fee)). Going to let this accumulate until we go back. 2% cash back and I don't need to juggle different cards for simplicity.

One thing to call out is that I already had the Disney Chase card and cancelled it (used it during our December trip to get that statement credit). Since I am making payments, having that financing isn't needed, as well as using the Target Red Card idea.

Looking for any other budget hacks you use where maybe I have never thought of before. TIA!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Statement Credits at places that sell Disney Gift Cards. Points for places like Hilton LBV, Bonnet Creek, & Swolphin. CC Statement credit offers for restaurants.

My last trip a few weeks ago I had an AMEX $10 statement credit for any purchase done for restaurants. I have multiple AMEX cards. So $60 in free money. (I was going to eat anyway)

Upvote 0

PolynesianPrincess

With bottled water being so expensive at the park (4-5 bottles of water per day at $3.50 each = $14-17.50 per day for 8 days = $104 - $140 per person) we're getting a delivery from Shipt of bottled water. For 3 24 packs of water plus delivery fee and tip it's $40 (roughly $13-14 per person) that saves us almost $100 per person for water. When we leave the room in the morning we carry one cold bottle with us and carry 2 swell bottles in our bags and add some ice to them to keep them cold all day. Sometimes we will throw the the Swell bottles in a locker if we're getting one for the day.

Upvote 0

Jasperkitty

1) Consider staying off site
2) Plan a day or two outside of the parks. This can be a pool day, a day trip outside of the Orlando area (St. Augustine has some fun historical tours, Honeymoon Island over by Tampa is a quiet beach area, explore a state park or local farmer's market, etc.). This can end up being an unexpected highlight of your trip and lets you give your overtired feet a "slow day" occasionally. Mu husband and I have fond memories of seeing Gatorland, and still fondly remember a Cuban restaurant in Cocoa Beach from a couple of day trips we took over 20 years ago.
3) Sign up onto mailing lists for some of the non-Disney restaurants and stores to get discounts
4) Don't buy higher priced tickets than you need (thinks single park vs park hopper, etc.)
5) Get on mailing lists for various Disney travel agencies and blog sites. They'll tend to give you tips and let you know when there are discounts and all sorts of tips and tricks. I'm fond of the DFB guide, MouseSavers, and Disney Tourist Blog, and follow a good dozen others myself.
6) Request planning guides for Disney, Orlando, Florida, and anywhere else you're interested in.
7) Plan to eat off site every so often. It tends to be cheaper and you'll have more options
8) Research where you want to eat on site. The Brown Derby is amazing but it isn't cheap. It helps to go in with some sort of clear idea of what's within your food budget.
9) Consider swapping out lunch for a hearty snack and having a nicer dinner, or do a late big breakfast and an early dinner. Be creative with meals.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

Depending on how you get paid or how you and your spouse handle the money as it come into the household. Each time I get paid I take a $20 bill out of my pay automatically before I start spending any, or paying bills. I put it aside for my trip. I cut out some kind of item I usually would use the money for in the week. It might be extra coffees, candy bars, lottery tickets etc. I'm willing to make that sacrifice for my trip funding. Sometimes that $20 might instead be $25, $30 or more. At the end of my pay period if I look in my wallet and there are any singles left there, I automatically remove them and add them to the savings. At the end of every day, any change in my pockets goes into the funds. I've done this for years and it really will surprise you how much will add up over a short period of time.
Like @JIMINYCR: when I get my paycheck, I take a certain amount out for Disney each month. For me, I use this money at my local Kroger to purchase Disney Gift Cards. The amount I put in every month varies, as I've written out the monthly budget (minus surprises, like a car battery replacement) just before payday.
I also purchase airline gift cards at Kroger (SWA). For example, if the flight is$300, maybe I get a $150 card one month and another $150 on SWA the next month and then I'm ready to book when the flight schedules are released. SWA lets you use two gift cards on one purchase. To get around this, I sometimes buy one-way tickets instead of round-trip airfares, so I can use my gift cards.
We always carry Hydroflasks through the parks (those can be heavy, though). We also look at the menus of where we are planning on eating well in advance and have a gift card that is solely for "food purchases."
Disney is big on the large portions so there are definitely meals that two people can share easily. My DH and I split one order of the Pecos Bill nachos last year and we were plenty full. Likewise with a Via Napoli pizza (these vary in size). For food, check out the food section of WDW Magic for more "cost-saving" tips like a Landry's card at Yak and Yeti and T-Rex.
My family never books a trip until we know we already have enough "extra" set aside in our bank account to cover the entire estimated cost. Part of the carefree joy of the vacation is knowing it's already paid-for.
THIS is true for us, too! We just know month to month what we have to put aside to know our vacation will be paid for. It's easy to sacrifice a latte or a new pair of pants, etc; when Disney is a dream trying to become reality.

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

I went to Meijer yesterday and in their app they had get $5 for every $50 of gift cards bought up to 10 rewards. So, I could buy $500 worth of gift cards and get $50 to spend on my groceries or use the $50 to buy another gift card. That is a 10% savings. I would also buy them with my Disney Visa and get another $5 back in Disney dollars, which equates to 11% off. I am going to go back this week and do that.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

It has been been done but budget conscious families brown bagged their own sandwiches,, drinks and snacks into the park, sat on the benches and enjoyed their budget meal. Also buy powder packets of lemonade from Wal Mart, bring into the park then ask a cast member for a cup of cold water and you have lemonade.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t see how “low cost” and Disney go together anymore?

it used to be possible...but Iger pride jumps really killed. Your paying hyperinflated “discounts” on rooms...full price each day for tickets and every add on - more or less...and now hyper priced food driven by the non-existent dining plan (designed by PT Barnum)

if you want someone to say “wow...that’s not a bad price!”...2021-22 in wdw isn’t your spot.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We use a Disney credit card, and have lots of $$ on the rewards redemption card to spend to pay for restaurants, souvenirs, snacks, etc. when we go to Disney next month. When we check in will put that redemption card on our account, and pay all expenses in the parks with it. Having our trip cancelled 4x a moved literally a year later helped us get way more than we would have had!

just as an aside/FYI...I noticed they charge as you go anymore...which was never the desk policy prior:

so a few weeks ago I did have it hit the card and then had to wait a couple days for the target/bjs method gift cards I had racked up for a year and a half to go on the account and reverse the visa charge to chase.

it doesn’t matter...but it is a difference in policy from what I ever remembered. I ending up having a $1045 credit posted
after returning home from boardwalk. I also just started using the gift cards at restaurants. What’s the point of magic bands if I couldn’t just sweep the $1800 or so off at one point and then had to keep an eye on Disney billing to make sure there was no “glitch”?

FYI...I used to work with accounting/billing....that’s why I wouldn’t assume anything.

sorry for the tangent...just thought it was interesting.

Upvote 0

pixie225

just as an aside/FYI...I noticed they charge as you go anymore...which was never the desk policy prior:

so a few weeks ago I did have it hit the card and then had to wait a couple days for the target/bjs method gift cards I had racked up for a year and a half to go on the account and reverse the visa charge to chase.

it doesn’t matter...but it is a difference in policy from what I ever remembered. I ending up having a $1045 credit posted
after returning home from boardwalk. I also just started using the gift cards at restaurants. What’s the point of magic bands if I couldn’t just sweep the $1800 or so off at one point and then had to keep an eye on Disney billing to make sure there was no “glitch”?

FYI...I used to work with accounting/billing....that’s why I wouldn’t assume anything.

sorry for the tangent...just thought it was interesting.
This is very interesting. When I called to confirm my redemption card was activated the woman I spoke with said make sure I go to the front desk the night before or everything would be charged to the credit card I have on file at 2 am. It seems they can't put a redemption card "on file." I am torn between charging everything to the room, then going and getting it removed, (knowing my hubby it will be every day) or just using the card to pay for the restaurants/souveniers/snacks as we go. Either way I am sure it will get messed up!!

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is very interesting. When I called to confirm my redemption card was activated the woman I spoke with said make sure I go to the front desk the night before or everything would be charged to the credit card I have on file at 2 am. It seems they can't put a redemption card "on file." I am torn between charging everything to the room, then going and getting it removed, (knowing my hubby it will be every day) or just using the card to pay for the restaurants/souveniers/snacks as we go. Either way I am sure it will get messed up!!

that’s exactly what I’m saying...there were random chunks processed at different times as I went. And their payment system won’t hold gift cards or the chase redemption card preemptively...as far as I know? I could be wrong?

Upvote 0

Lilofan

Instead of buying a $3-4 bottle of lemonade just bring powdered lemonade packets and then ask a cast member for a cup of ice water.
Instead of ordering two hamburgers, order a double hamburger and then ask for another hamburger bun.
Don't buy the $10 rain poncho, bring one from home
Brown bag your lunch, you won't be the first guest to do that
If you need medical assistance WDW will send medical staff to check you out. You won't be charged.
Many ride attractions have gift shops at the end of the building. Don't impulse buy.

Upvote 0

dmw

In the Parks
No
Hopefully someone will jump in and give us some updated info. Leaving Saturday for DW!
Our experience in 2019 (things could have changed, of course) was that gift cards are NOT able to be put on file. I actually spoke to the front desk about it at check in. I was also advised that for longer stays or when the amount charged to a room reached a certain threshold, the credit card on file would be charged at that time. Unfortunately, I don't recall the number of days or dollar threshold. I do remember that I had to go to the front desk midway through our stay to "pay down" the balance using gift cards, then again the night before checkout. It was a hassle, but we did save some $$$ getting the gift cards at a discount from BJs. I would suggest you ask the front desk upon arrival as to the current policy and how best to use the gift cards to pay the room charges.

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Our experience in 2019 (things could have changed, of course) was that gift cards are NOT able to be put on file. I actually spoke to the front desk about it at check in. I was also advised that for longer stays or when the amount charged to a room reached a certain threshold, the credit card on file would be charged at that time. Unfortunately, I don't recall the number of days or dollar threshold. I do remember that I had to go to the front desk midway through our stay to "pay down" the balance using gift cards, then again the night before checkout. It was a hassle, but we did save some $$$ getting the gift cards at a discount from BJs. I would suggest you ask the front desk upon arrival as to the current policy and how best to use the gift cards to pay the room charges.

the difference now appears that there’s no “threshold”....

it used to be $500/$1000/$1500 by “category”...
But in a DVC I had $114.00...$201...$185 type chunks randomly processed. They did NOT match specific point of sale charges. That’s being done by the computer...has to be. Disney doesn’t pay people to manage the system like they did in my olden days...

so this is just different. I don’t blame them...no reason for them to have to chase money...but it is different.

credit cards have terms and conditions the consumer signs for Disney never has to worry about...they don’t have to second guess doing whatever they want to a customer card...really.

a gift card is “cash”...So they won’t or shouldn’t run a overbalance on an account with it. Hence no posting them in accounts. Cash refunds are messy. They don’t want their desk jockeys manipulating them/issuing refunds. A lot of “issues” have been personally seen when you let entry level staff play with money.

I probably missed something...but it really looks like they changed and won’t run the balance now...allowing you to just go the day before and settle up with GCs.

I don’t think it was “just me”...there was a $26,000 limit on the hold card with no balance.

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

I just don't charge anything while I am there. I take my gift card with me and pay that way. At the end of the stay, I get a blank bill. I just enter my gift card or reward card number in the app when I am purchasing through mobile ordering. No issues. I have to carry around my annual pass anyways, so I just carry those cards with me too.

Upvote 0

dmw

In the Parks
No
I just don't charge anything while I am there. I take my gift card with me and pay that way. At the end of the stay, I get a blank bill. I just enter my gift card or reward card number in the app when I am purchasing through mobile ordering. No issues. I have to carry around my annual pass anyways, so I just carry those cards with me too.
mobile ordering now takes gift cards? That is great news!

Upvote 0

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Probably makes the most sense

though the app won’t store the gift card...that’s annoying

Upvote 0

dmw

In the Parks
No
Probably makes the most sense

though the app won’t store the gift card...that’s annoying
Maybe Disney could hire the team that wrote the Chick-Fil-A app. It allows storage of gift cards and other payment methods, thhe ability to use or not use the funds in gift cards or other payment methods, combine gift cards, etc. I mean, if it can be done for a fast food place, why not for Disney mobile ordering?

Upvote 0

KellBelle

I do an envelope savings plan where I number 100 envelopes from 1-100 and every week my husband and I alternate picking 2 of the envelopes. We are paid alternately every 2 weeks, so we are paid weekly if that makes sense. At the end of the year, after all the envelopes have been filled, it is $5050.00. We do it as soon as we get paid, so it really is no big deal at all. Always a nice payoff at the end.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom