Security at the resorts

beertiki

Original Poster
While it is no secret that I think Disney security is a bunch of incompetent morons, I can not complain about security at the park entrances on our last trip. All of my searches were fast and efficient.

At the resorts, I had a few issues.

When we arrived to check in to Pop, security asked for an ID, we give him my wife's. He looks at it and then asks - What's your last name? I tell him it's on the ID. The only reason I can think for such a stupid question is, he feels that his authority as a security guard entitles him to question people. We have checked in enough times to know that they want our ID when we pull up and have it ready. They always hold it for one second and give it back. No checking a list, or computer, just a quick glance and hand it back.

We took uber a few times and I noticed something that bothered me. At security the uber driver holds up his ID and says - dropping off for uber. Security never takes the ID and waves us though quickly. I saw this happen 3 times this trip. What is the point of showing ID? They don't check them, everyone has one, they don't show if you are staying at the resort you are entering. I feel being treated differently than the uber drivers at check in is wrong. Security needs to be consistent, either take all IDs and give a pointless one second glance, or let us just hold it up like the uber drivers and wave us along.

trainplane3

While it is no secret that I think Disney security is a bunch of incompetent morons, I can not complain about security at the park entrances on our last trip. All of my searches were fast and efficient.

When we arrived to check in to Pop, security asked for an ID, we give him my wife's. He looks at it and then asks - What's your last name? I tell him it's on the ID. The only reason I can think for such a stupid question is, he feels that his authority as a security guard entitles him to question people. We have checked in enough times to know that they want our ID when we pull up and have it ready. They always hold it for one second and give it back. No checking a list, or computer, just a quick glance and hand it back.

We took uber a few times and I noticed something that bothered me. At security the uber driver holds up his ID and says - dropping off for uber. Security never takes the ID and waves us though quickly. I saw this happen 3 times this trip. What is the point of showing ID? They don't check them, everyone has one, they don't show if you are staying at the resort you are entering. I feel being treated differently than the uber drivers at check in is wrong. Security needs to be consistent, either take all IDs and give a pointless one second glance, or let us just hold it up like the uber drivers and wave us along.
I'll agree about the consistency. Different case, but still applies to a point. When I went through the MK security point to get to the monorail, we walked right past the metal detector. Next time we went through, everyone was diverted to the metal detectors. I didn't have any bags but it felt like I was breaking the rules by quite literally skipping security. The same happened at Epcot and HWS as well. These were not at peak times either. Oh and one time my friend got pulled while we were walking past security and was made to go through the metal detectors.

Obviously this made security a breeze but not even having anyone saying walk this way (around the metal detectors) confused me.

Tl;dr: The security is nice and fast but they need consistency.

peter11435

I can't speak to the Uber driver issue, but I imagine he questioned your last name because you gave him someone else's ID. He has no way of knowing you are married or even related at all. Security is supposed to ask for the ID of the driver.

quackmar

We used an uber to come back to Pop from Universal this spring. It was later at night and after the driver stated he was doing a drop off the security guy asked to see one our magic bands. I'm pretty sure he scanned it too.

I thought that was a good way for them to handle an uber drop off. Consistency would be nice though.

tractor tipper

Maybe inconsistency is better. If you do something the same way each time then the bad guy knows what to expect and gets around it. The fact honest people don't like it probably means bad people don't like it even more. I thought a rule for security was don't follow a pattern, change things up.

beertiki

Original Poster
I can't speak to the Uber driver issue, but I imagine he questioned your last name because you gave him someone else's ID. He has no way of knowing you are married or even related at all. Security is supposed to ask for the ID of the driver.

If they are not checking last names on a paper guest list, computer, or mobile device, what is the point? The only criteria to be allowed to drive into a resort is possession of an ID. Security has never asked for the driver, they just want any ID, we have used whoever has easiest access. Usually my wife drives, her purse is in the back seat because it's huge and heavy, security usually gets my ID.

Just how do you know what security is supposed to ask for?

beertiki

Original Poster
Maybe inconsistency is better. If you do something the same way each time then the bad guy knows what to expect and gets around it. The fact honest people don't like it probably means bad people don't like it even more. I thought a rule for security was don't follow a pattern, change things up.

Honest people don't like it, because we can see how easily bad people can exploit the inconsistency. Bad people are looking for the lazy, tired, and inconsistent, those are the ones who make mistakes.

Monorail_Red_77

When I go to resorts to eat or get pressed coins. Getting carded is hit or miss. Either way I do not mind since I have nothing to hide. As far as the random metal detectors. I have found in my experience if I smile and make eye contact, say hello, whatever, I get pull every time for the random detector. If I keep my head down, or pay attention to my kids in tow and keep walking I rarely get pulled for scanner. I have this thought. I'm going to make them work to get me into the detectors. Now, if they say Sir step over here. I will abide but I no longer give them any freebies. LOL
I say random since, EPCOT is not random selection, all must go through detectors, just like at Resorts.

Kamikaze

If they are not checking last names on a paper guest list, computer, or mobile device, what is the point? The only criteria to be allowed to drive into a resort is possession of an ID. Security has never asked for the driver, they just want any ID, we have used whoever has easiest access. Usually my wife drives, her purse is in the back seat because it's huge and heavy, security usually gets my ID.

Just how do you know what security is supposed to ask for?

Even if they searched your car, US Military base style with dogs and mirrors, it wouldn't matter one bit. You could always go to a park, get on a resort bus, and get to the resort with no ID check at any point.

If you think any visible forms of security at WDW would actually stop anything, you're sadly mistaken.

beertiki

Original Poster
I bet you also have an issue with putting your finger on the entry scanner, for fear of identity theft.

None at all. The only security related fear I have at WDW is someone bringing their firearm into the park either intentionally or unintentionally and it gets dropped or lost. Then some kid picks it up and a random person gets accidentally shot. There are too many gun owners who think that by them carrying a weapon that I am somehow safer. Before I get labeled a liberal snowflake, my gun stays home when I go to Disney as I feel very safe there.

beertiki

Original Poster
Even if they searched your car, US Military base style with dogs and mirrors, it wouldn't matter one bit. You could always go to a park, get on a resort bus, and get to the resort with no ID check at any point.

If you think any visible forms of security at WDW would actually stop anything, you're sadly mistaken.

I did a construction job at a very secure area inside a Navy base. Dog and mirror car search, no phones, no pocket knives, but they didn't look twice at a 32oz framing hammer or table saw. I don't trust any security to stop a threat.

Kamikaze

I did a construction job at a very secure area inside a Navy base. Dog and mirror car search, no phones, no pocket knives, but they didn't look twice at a 32oz framing hammer or table saw. I don't trust any security to stop a threat.

Then why create this thread?

The saw and the hammer they'd expect a construction worker to have. Why would they stop you from doing your job?

None at all. The only security related fear I have at WDW is someone bringing their firearm into the park either intentionally or unintentionally and it gets dropped or lost. Then some kid picks it up and a random person gets accidentally shot. There are too many gun owners who think that by them carrying a weapon that I am somehow safer. Before I get labeled a liberal snowflake, my gun stays home when I go to Disney as I feel very safe there.

Why single out 'Disney' for this to happen? It could be literally anywhere. Slightly less chance at Disney, actually, because of the screening. But that guy could drop his gun in a mall, movie theater, beach, etc and have a kid pick it up. No reason to single out Disney for a place for it to occur.

beertiki

Original Poster
I didn't single Disney out, I said it was my only fear. Not worried about bombs, biological, fire, or an intentional shooting. The chances are so slim that I do not worry, but people bring guns to Disney every day.

I bet there are enough guns in the TTC parking lot to arm a small country.

John park hopper

I didn't single Disney out, I said it was my only fear. Not worried about bombs, biological, fire, or an intentional shooting. The chances are so slim that I do not worry, but people bring guns to Disney every day.

I bet there are enough guns in the TTC parking lot to arm a small country.

"people bring guns to Disney every day'" I am curious as to what you are refering too. WDW policy is that a firearm must be locked in the vehicle or checked with security prior to entering the park. Firearms are not allowed in the resort hotels either and must be secured at the desk not stored in the room safe. Shades of Green also has their own policy.

lazyboy97o

"people bring guns to Disney every day'" I am curious as to what you are refering too. WDW policy is that a firearm must be locked in the vehicle or checked with security prior to entering the park. Firearms are not allowed in the resort hotels either and must be secured at the desk not stored in the room safe. Shades of Green also has their own policy.
Policy is not the will of God. Either intentionally or unintentionally, guns get into the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom