Second trip to WDW - will we love it again?

BackToDisney

Original Poster
Hi! We went to WDW last October for 5 days and loved it... We are going back for 7 days this time. Our kids are 5 and 7 - Our only concern is that it's not "new" for the kids anymore. Any idea how to keep it fresh (new things to see) and how to pace ourselves for the longer trip. Also, we know we'll spend a small fortune on food, but does anyone have any suggestions of good, economical restaurants? We're staying in WL again.

Thanks!

miste76

We have been going at least once a year, every year, for the past 21 years. Every year there are things that we haven't seen before or haven't seen in a few years. There's no place that I rather be!
As far as the food goes, we often shop off property at the Wal-Mart superstore... it saves us from eating out for every meal. Otherwise, there are lots of counter service restraunts for sandwiches and snacks. I'm sure you'll have a great time!!!!
:wave:

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
BackToDisney said:
Hi! We went to WDW last October for 5 days and loved it... We are going back for 7 days this time. Our kids are 5 and 7 - Our only concern is that it's not "new" for the kids anymore. Any idea how to keep it fresh (new things to see) and how to pace ourselves for the longer trip. Also, we know we'll spend a small fortune on food, but does anyone have any suggestions of good, economical restaurants? We're staying in WL again.

Thanks!

You will definately love it each and every time you go just like the rest of the people on these forums. We just can't get enough. Your kids will still enjoy themselves just being there. I would suggest sticking with the counter service restaurants for your meals if you do not want to break the bank.

Please keep it in mind for future trips- I give free itinerary planning to my clients.

Pam

J

joviacdan

BackToDisney said:

Thanks!

Oh please - I'm 28 and I've been twice in the past year, going this September, and again in February. Been a total of 8 times. It never gets old.

As far as seeing new things, what did you do last time you went?

Best way to keep food economical is eat at the fast food places. It can be pricey too, but nothing that should break you.

Magic Kingdom - Try Pinnochio's Village Haus or Pecos Bill's.

Epcot - Sunshine Umbrella.

MGM - Backlot Express. (but splurge here and go to the Sci Fi Dine In Theatre for lunch.)

Animal Kingdom - Not too sure about the fast food spots here. Rainforest Cafe isn't overly expensive, and it's a lot of fun to eat there.

At night, head to Downtown Disney for dinner. Planet Hollywood is a blast, and is no more expensive than any other pub style sit down restaurant.

Either way - No worries. Kids will have just as much (if not more) fun the 2nd time around!

phlydude

5 and 7 year olds felling bored in Dinsey World?? Unless they are the overly brainy type who find no thrill other than creating experiments with the cat, they will have a blast. :lol:

Seriously, I don't know one single person who on a return visit felt bored with anything going on in the "World". I'm sure there are plenty of things that you didn't do last time you went, especially on a short 5 day trip. Keep in mind that there is plenty to do besides the rides and you have enough to keep you busy for a year!!

As far as food goes, if you are not a big eater, take advantage of the kid size meals at the counter service restaurants. They are cheaper and give you plenty of food. You may also want to think about getting 1 adult meal for the 2 kids and have them split it. This will be cheaper than getting a couple kids meals.

Also, take advantage of the late lunch. Generally before 3-4PM you can sit down in restaurants and order lunches at lunch time prices which can hold you over long enough so that you only need a dessert or snack in the evening to satisfy you.

Off-site, one of the favorite places to eat is Tony Roma's on Apoka-Vineland Rd. (535). Coming from DTD, follow the road along Hotel Plaza Blvd and at the intersection of 535, turn left. Go up about 3/4 a mile or so to a shopping center on your right. There is the restaurant in there. Also, another favorite of the locals (with local prices!) is the LBV Ale House where you can get some good pub style food. It is located around the corner from Hotel Plaza Blvd (take to 535, turn left, go to Palm Pkwy, turn left - it's on the left)

Nansafan

My 17 yr old son has gone every year since 1997 and he's not bored yet (and neither am I). You can't do everything in a 5 day trip much less a 10 day trip. We have 8 days this trip and are complaining that we don't have enough time to get everything in we want to do. Each year we pick something different to try and of course we have our list of old favorites we can't miss. In our experience, we are more selective in our trip. Since we've been so often, we don't need to try everything. We can see just what we want to which always includes a "hotel fun day" to enjoy our resort pool, water mice, etc.

webmomom

Before we became DVC members I would bring a small coffee pot with us, (that is if the hotel did not have one in the room, I would call and find out) and rent a refrigerator. Then for breakfast we would eat in the room. That saved us some big bucks. I find breakfast to be one of the most expensive meals, in what you get for your money. I would bring the undairy creamers so I did not take up extra room in the refrig. and would put water, etc in it so we did not have to buy them when we were in the hotel. I have done this ever since we had small children with us and even now we eat breakfast in the room without having children.

Trishnh

Bored at Disney??

I have to agree--it is nearly impossible to be bored at Disney. There is so much to do. We have been 7 times since 2000. my kids (9,8,5,2) never get bored. We are still finding things we have yet to see or do. One thing I definitley recommend is planning a 'down' day and just enjoy the hotel and pool and relax. As for saving money on meals, make a stop at the grocery store & stock up on snacks, juice boxes, and water. We also pick up bread, peanut butter and Jelly and make sandwiches for the kids, as well as cereal, and breakfast bars. We save on some meals, so we can splurge on a few character meals.

Another piece of advice is, dont assume your kids will only like MK. My kids love Epcot and Animal Kingdom just as much.

Have a great time! :wave: We can't wait to go again!!

barnum42

With all these Disney Nuts about, I doubt anyone will say they get bored with the parks :lol:

There are plenty of counter service restaurants to eat at. In Animal Kingdom they have three of the best - Flame Tree Barbeque, Tusker House and Pizzafari. There is a special meal voucher you can buy at animal kingdom that has three vouchers on it. The first is for a main meal and a drink. The second can be used later in the day for an ice cream or popcorn and the third for a bottled drink. The vouchers come in Adult and child sizes. I saved a few bob using them.

phlydude

Instead of renting a refrig while we are there, we pick up a couple disposable styromfoam coolers and use them with platic trashbags (to hold the ice and water) to keep things cool (items go in and the trash bag with ice goes on top - when the ice all melts, take the trash bag to the tub and dump it and then go re-fill it). Ice is free from the machines in the hallway, might as well use it!!

Nicole

I don't think you have anything to worry about! Five days is not even remotely enough time to see the four theme parks, much less all the other things at WDW. We went in November for 8 days, and there are still so many things we didn't get to do. Then of course there are the things we'll want to do again. My suggestion would be to buy the Unofficial Guide, and also to check out AllEarsNet.com for their list of attractions at the parks. They have an "overlooked attractions" section too that has some fun ideas.

Mickifan17

I have to agree with the other posts. Bored at Disney??? :confused:

It'll never happen. As a 34 year old, I can't get enough. I was just there in June with my 4 year old and we're going back in October with my wife and infant son who will be 13 months old and his second trip. It will be my 4 year olds 6th trip. He is never bored there. We even watch videos of park attractions on the computer so he feels like he's always there.

As for food, it can get pricey, but I have to agree with other posts on that one too. Your kids can split a meal which will save you some money or you can eat breakfast in the room. I do recommend splurging at times for character meals 'cuz your kids will love them. Those are usually buffet style and you will pay more than you eat, but it's the atmosphere you're paying for so slip at least one of those in. HAVE FUN!!!

Only 94 more days til I'm home :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Kadee

Are you getting the ultimate park hopper (length of stay pass)? If so, that includes Disney Quest. Go there! That will keep any kid from 2 years to 92 years busy. There is no way they will get bored. Since you ahve 8 days, slow down and take your time. You will enjoy it more. There is no such think as "being bored at Disney."

Also, you have the water parks; those are fun. And there is Downtown Disney (where Disney Quest is located).

And as stated earlier, Sci-fi Restaurant in MGM is a must. It may be a bit more money than some places, but it is so worth it (and you have to try their milkshakes!!)

Also, in the MK, there is a little ice cream shop (called the Plaza or something like that) and behind it is a restaurant. They have the best sandwiches and is not expensive at all. It is on Main Street halfway between the RR station and the castle.

Miss Bell

I remember the first time we went, we were on a Mears Shuttle on our way to the resort. We started talking a woman who was telling us that she and her family went to WDW every year. My husband and I thought she was nuts. Little did we know we were just hours away from being indoctrinated into our own form of Disney madness. We have been back every year since, (one year twice) and we would go more often if we could afford to. We are never bored, and my daughter loves it even more as she gets older. As she hits the teenage years, I think her love of all things Disney keeps her grounded in childhood just a little longer (us, too.) There is always something new, and as many times as we've gone, there are still old standards we haven't hit yet. Go and enjoy--have a great trip!

Buzzes Dad

We tend to go every other year and we have never been bored:) . WE are planning our 6th trip for this coming Jan and it will be our sons 5th. Each trip we each pick at least one show,ride, or place to eat that we have not done before and do it.

We still have not seen everything yet.

On the to do list for next trip:

Astro Orbiter
China Circlevision
Scifi Diner

plus all of our other favorites:slurp:

swimmom

Every trip we make to WDW we are already planning when our next trip will be. On your five day visit you couldn't possibly have seen & done everything.

Our last three trip we have stayed at WL and we will be again in December. When you check-in, ask about being the flag family. Also we have discovered a fun way to get to Epcot. We take the boat to Contemporary and then the monorail to Epcot. It's not the fastest way to get to Epcot, but I'm sure your kids will enjoy it. If you do that a little later in the morning, you may be able to sit in the front of the monorail. Your chances are better when there's less people waiting.

BackToDisney

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the wonderful responses to our question... I love this message board! First, let me clarify... I did not use the word BORED! I know we'll have fun, I just know there is nothing like the thrill of seeing something wonderful for the first time.

A few questions for the group. What is Disneyquest? Are the waterparks appropriate for a 5 year old? Does anyone know what attractions are currently closed - we heard rumor that Small World was being renovated (but didnt want to believe it!).

Does anyone have any tips or advise on how to let a 5 and 7 year old pick out a few souveniers without getting the "gimmees". A friend of ours lets their kids pick 1 a day but we're not convinced it's the best way to handle it.

THANK YOU!!!

Trishnh

The water parks are fine for a 5 y/o. There is plenty for little kids to do, plus there is always the wave pool & lazy river.

As for taming the "gimmes" we let the kids earn money before we go, plus give them disney dollars for bithdays/holidays and then they have their own money to spend and can buy whatever they want, but when their money is gone, its gone. It is so funny to see how different they treat that money when it is their own! Suddenly things they 'must' have are not so important! :animwink:

I have never been to Disneyquest but I gather it is a little boy's dream house! :lol: :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom