Second trip to WDW - will we love it again?

Mickifan17

BackToDisney said:
A few questions for the group. What is Disneyquest? Are the waterparks appropriate for a 5 year old? Does anyone know what attractions are currently closed - we heard rumor that Small World was being renovated (but didnt want to believe it!).

Disneyquest is great! It's a 4 level arcade with hi-tech games and virtual reality type stuff. Your kids will love it. All of them, including your husband.

You can find a list of rehabs on this great site or you can check out disneyworld.com. Yes, Small World is closed until April, 2005 for a major renovation. Sorry. Looks like you'll just have to go back again next year :)

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Just not possible

KevinPage said:
did you enjoy ice cream the 2nd time you ate it? :animwink: :animwink: :animwink:

Kevin, a perfect statement, nothing more needs to be said.

And Barnum42, I'm glad I read the full thread before posting as you covered all my comments:

"There are plenty of counter service restaurants to eat at. In Animal Kingdom they have three of the best - Flame Tree Barbeque, Tusker House and Pizzafari. There is a special meal voucher you can buy at animal kingdom that has three vouchers on it. The first is for a main meal and a drink. The second can be used later in the day for an ice cream or popcorn and the third for a bottled drink. The vouchers come in Adult and child sizes. I saved a few bob using them."

I think AK has some of the most varied and reasonable dining of the parks.

Back to the original question, having been there once for five days, you can go back and not do ANYTHING the same. Check out this site and allearsnet.com along with some of the tour books, and you can always keep it fresh.

J

joviacdan

BackToDisney said:
Thanks for all of the wonderful responses to our question... I love this message board! First, let me clarify... I did not use the word BORED! I know we'll have fun, I just know there is nothing like the thrill of seeing something wonderful for the first time.

A few questions for the group. What is Disneyquest? Are the waterparks appropriate for a 5 year old? Does anyone know what attractions are currently closed - we heard rumor that Small World was being renovated (but didnt want to believe it!).

Does anyone have any tips or advise on how to let a 5 and 7 year old pick out a few souveniers without getting the "gimmees". A friend of ours lets their kids pick 1 a day but we're not convinced it's the best way to handle it.

THANK YOU!!!

See, this is where I differ with people in here. I think Disney Quest is an overpriced waste of time. If you have an Ultimate Park Hopper, and you find yourself at Downtown Disney, by all means - Stop in and maybe try the Aladdin Carpet Ride, Pirates thing, or Virtual Space Mountain. I personally find the idea of playing video games at Disney World for hours on end kind of a waste of time.

There are other things to do there, but there's just so many better things in Disney World to see and do.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Itinerary

I would also second avoiding DisneyQuest (and Downtown Disney) with your limited time and children's ages. Maybe when they are in their early teens and have seen a lot of what else the park has to offer.

You didn't say where you are staying which can have some impact on your visit. Staying on site can have an entertainment value of its own, and also changes your flexibility and approach to travel. In either case, your kids are still young, so I would suggest you plan your days with breaks in the middle and I would urge you to plan to take advantage of strollers (your back and the kids will thank you by the end of the day). You also didn't indicate what time of year you're going or what you did see the first time around. All that info could help with suggestions.

Don't know what all you covered in your first trip, but here are some thoughts (for what they're worth)

The children should be old enough to enjoy the parades (AK, MGM, MK), fireworks (Epcot, MK). Fantasmic may be too intense at this time, but if you do go, use a dinner package to limit your sit/wait time.

Check back on the Disney site or Allearsnet.com for seasonal specials (Christmas, Halloween, Flower and Garden, Food and Wine Festival etc.)

Hoop de do Review dinner show is always a lot of fun, and often overlooked by newer visitors. The show at Polynesian is also nice, but less so for younger ones. I wouldn't suggest the other shows.

There are shows in all the parks that you may have missed the first time around that are good to plan for. In AK, you have Lion King and Tarzan which are fun, high energy and not threatening. Epcot has a lot of street performances to enjoy. I would plan on one meal for a character visit. There are different sites that tend to have different characters, so plan to your or the kids favorites at this time. With that said, many kids are scared of the characters in person...they are BIG. Possibly judge with street contact before spending the extra money on the meal.

I have found that those ages are particularly hard to prejudge what children would like. Some rides you never expect scare the heck out of them while others you don't think you should do, they love. Yes, unfortunately Small World is closed for rehab. (You can check the Disney website for lists of closings/planned closings) Buzz Lightyear would be fun for all as are the simple things like riding the horse drawn trolley and the train. You may want to check out Mickey's Toontown for that age group. Instead of IaSW (Small World), you can substitue Rio de Tiempo in Mexico (Epcot). Space Ship Earth, Living Seas, Journey to Imagination, The Land and Universe of Energy are all good for that age group (and all age groups!)

MGM had some shows for younger ones to the left of "the hat" as well as the Muppet show and a Honey I Shrunk...play area. Characters around MGM will probably have a lot of appeal.

I'm sure you'll get many more suggestions, just do SOME advance planning, ID a few must do's for the day but otherwise slow down and enjoy at their pace. Water parks are nice for the middle of the trip as it allows for a lower energy relaxing day. Again look at AllEarsNet.com for a great meal planning resource.

Report back to us how you make out.

bgraham34

Now thats just really silly. Unless you are an unhappy person you will have a great time. And why not it brings the youth back in all of us.

Scooter

2nd Trip...Bored?

Not on your life!!

The 2nd trip is the BEST trip because you know your way around.

My first trip to Walt Disney World was spent in total awe and confusion...

...which bus do I take...which monorail line to I get into...where is this where is that...where's the bathrooms?...where do we eat...blah blah blah..yadda yadda yadda....

On my 2nd trip I was like a tour guide... :lol:

Your kids will have fun saying things like "Oh...I remember THIS ride...and I LOVE this ride!!...and This is the place Where I saw those cool...blah blah blah...yadda yadda yadda... :lol:

No, I wouldn't worry about your kids being bored on their 2nd trip if I were you...
..I'd worry more about keeping UP with them. :animwink:

Nicole

BackToDisney said:
Does anyone have any tips or advise on how to let a 5 and 7 year old pick out a few souveniers without getting the "gimmees". A friend of ours lets their kids pick 1 a day but we're not convinced it's the best way to handle it.

THANK YOU!!!

We gave our kids a $10 per day shopping allowance. That worked pretty well, but they are older. Maybe for younger kids you could let them each pick out one stuffed animal and one t-shirt, or some other type of souvenir that you approve of. We never buy hats but always take lots of pictures of the kids wearing the hats. We also don't let them buy things early in the trip - because there is SO much to see, and most of it is in all the parks. Near the end of our visit we spent pretty much a whole afternoon browsing the shops on Main Street where we did our big souvenir shopping.

So - this is rambly, sorry, I'm thinking out loud - maybe to fight off the "gimmees" you could set a specific shopping day/time. When the kids see something and want it, you could have them keep a list of what it is, how much it costs and where to buy it. Then on your designated shopping day they can look at the list and their/your budget and go back and choose exactly what they want.

Beware though - the gimmees strike hard at WDW, even if you are the parent (especially if you are the parent and there's nobody to tell YOU no!!)

WDWScottieBoy

For the shopping idea, have your children write down one or two or three, etc items they like each day. Then on your last day, head down to DTD and stop in The World of Disney. They have practically every item sold in WDW at the one store. Get out your list, let your children get their items and you can save some money on tax. :lol: Then, if you really want to, you can stop in at DisneyQuest for a little bit.

Miss Bell

It may be too late to do this for this trip, but for my daughter and the "gimme's," we put half of her allowance in a savings account all year long, just like I save to pay for my trip. Before we go, she all but clears her account. I tell her ahead of time what I plan to pay for--a t-shirt, how many pins, new mouse ears, that kind of thing. Anything else she wants, she pays for with her money. She was 8 the first year we did this, and of course, that first time, all her money was gone pretty early on, but we have stuck with this. I was amazed that even as early as the next year, she was much better with spending her money, saving some for the parks we go to later in the week. The last three years she has even purchased a collectable Tinker Bell figurine from the Art of Disney that range about $100.00 in price. She tries to buy that early on, since it takes a big hunk of her money, but still has enough for stuffed animals and that kind of thing. She never complains about me taking away half of her allowance up front, and I think she has a sense of responsibilty over her money when she's there.

Now if I could just get her over the "gimme's" when we're not at WDW! :lol: :lol:

DisneyPhD

1st I agree with webmom, get some of your own food, rent a freg or at least get a cooler and do a few meals in the room (breakfest, sometimes lunch) and some snacks. You will save 300$ this way (especailly with kids, bring stuff with you to the parks in a light cooler bag if you need.) If you don't have a car, do a town car service (Quicksliver is good) that does a store stope. Just how much you will save on bottled water is worth the price of the rental of the refreg. (this is one reason I LOVE DVC too.)

Yes there is a certin magic to your 1st trip. It is like discovering it is all there. However 2nd (and 22, even 222 trips I am guessing) are still very specail. It is so great to think "here we are again!" The trips get better as you learn tricks and invent your own family tradations. Remember you can't do it all each year, that is what next year is for (and memoires.) Also each year you go your kids are a different age and what is wonderful and amazing for thim can be different each time (even though there will always be good old favorites.)

We often split meals to save some money (we never get funny looks from the waiters, it is like they are used to it.) While bringing your own snacks is great, don't miss out on the good ones around the parks, there are many.

Still working on how to crub the "give mes" however for older kids setting limits and even using disney dollars works. Consider getting a Bank One Disney Visa, you get 1% back to spend at Disney, it is great. While waiting to buy things at the end can be good, (there is so much out there, shop around.) Get at least one or 2 new things near the start, if they have a new toy,shirt, hat, they tend to take no or "we will see" for an answer better. And a new toy right away can keep them busy and break the ice of the trip. (also if you get the shirts and hats you can wear them during the trip.)

Good luck

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom