SeaWorld Visit Today

WDWPassHolder

Original Poster
I just got back from a visit to SeaWorld, and all i can say is....wow. Its sort of a run-down Universal. Sure, Kracken and Journey To Atlantis offer thrills, but the theming in the queues are terrible. Everything doesn't have that "Disney Quality". I guess i just expected more from SeaWorld.
Let me know how you guys feel about SeaWorld!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Sea World is good for what it is. An aquatic amusement park. It's not a theme park, and even in their literature, it doesn't refer to itself as a theme park. According to them, they are an "adventure park"

CAPTAIN HOOK

SeaWorld is educational and exists to assist marine conservation (amongst other things)
It has never tried to compete with Disney or Universal, and isn't about themed rides.
As for run down :mad:
If you read their literature BEFORE you went you wouldn't be disappointed as you would know what to expect.
If you want thrills - Go to Universals IOA
If you want theming and excellence - Go to WDW.
If you want educating and want to help marine conversation - Go to SeaWorld

TTATraveler

Legacy said:
Why does everything have to compare? Why can't people just accept stuff for what it is?

Honestly?

I couldn't agree more. I happen to like Sea World for what it is and don't expect to be riding state of the art attractions there. I think it is a nice break from the "theme parks".

Magic Maker

Me being the huge Disney purist, I still enjoy SeaWorld, always have. I haven't been there in years though, not since the Waterfront area was built. But I was in love with Sea World as a child. It is not Disney quality, but it is not meant to be.
Universal will never be Disney. Disney will never be Universal. Sea World will never be either of them. I not meant to be that way.

Figment1986

the Engineers at Busch Entertaignmentare still learning (and getting cash) look at what they did for SheiKra... thats one of the most indeph themed areas they have done so far... They are learning to compete.. maybe the new water park will continue their experience.

Epcot82Guy

I guess I never saw Disney and Sea World as competitors in this sense. Unlike Universal which pits itself against Disney, Sea World (and most of the Busch parks) is not in that game really. I enjoy Sea World, but it is an entirely diferent type of park. I think Kraken might be the best coaster in Orlando. However, it is a tough comparison to Disney rides because they are just different, I guess.

Sea World is a different kind of Magic

Sea World is a really nice aquarium that has a couple of thrill rides and free beer to draw crowds. If you aren't into aquatic life I can see how you might leave unfulfilled. I rode Kraken and it was cool, but I got to pet a ray and a dolphin, and that was the most thrilling for me as I had never done so before. :) Last time I checked, you weren't allowed to pet any of the sea life at Living Seas unless you paid for DiveQuest.

crazydaveh

SeaWorld is great for everything many have mentioned above me.

The man who came up with the concept of SeaWorld was a huge fan of Walt, and I think so is August Busch III, the current Chair of Board. He bought the parks and comes in all the time to make sure they're up to his standards. He knows his parks are not on the same wave as Disney or Universal, but like someone said, petting a dolphin was the thrill of the day, not dropping from ToT (which is a great attraction).

The new water park is supposed to be really good. I don't think the Busch Corp. will cut the check for something that's not going to compete, especially with it's stock down and beer business flat. I'm honestly expecting Blizzard Beach to be squashed by the new park... But time will tell!

And remember, SeaWorld is the only place in Orlando who will hook guests up with free beer and free food! Don't believe me, head to beer tasting at the Beer House! Great fun there!

timkelmom

Sea World is great for what it is. It is very educational and promotes awareness. My kids love the dolphin interaction and the hands-on activity there. I agree with everyone else who said they are not trying to compete with other parks in the area. They are a different kind of park. We just enjoy the shows and the laid back pace.

JROK

CAPTAIN HOOK said:
I know about the free beer - where's the free food ?

I'm assuming they're talking about the Beer School where you get free crackers and strawberries... because Sea World makes you pay for food to feed to their dolphins and stingrays... talk about a way to make money... they buy fish to feed dolphins... then you buy fish from them at 3x the cost and feed it to their dolphins... man, how ingenious! :lol:

crazydaveh

JROK said:
I'm assuming they're talking about the Beer School where you get free crackers and strawberries... because Sea World makes you pay for food to feed to their dolphins and stingrays... talk about a way to make money... they buy fish to feed dolphins... then you buy fish from them at 3x the cost and feed it to their dolphins... man, how ingenious! :lol:

Oh yes, SeaWorld hatches it's own fish for the whales and dolphins to eat... and yes, to get tourists to pay for the fish they grow is a great way to help the bottom line! Mr Busch is a smart business man!

And it's not beer school anymore. It's now beer tasting! You get strawberries, cheeses, chocolates, and grapes with the beer! It's not chicken wings, but it's food!

lunalovegoddess

I love Sea World. It's fun and educational and I feel like I can take my time and explore. Good shading near animal exhibits, and nice counter service places. I had expected that Animal Kingdom would be a bit more like Sea World the first visit I had, to tell the truth. I agree with those who posted above that you know what you are going there for: to experience animals up close. The focus at WDW is different. It's like comparing apples to oranges, really. Both are sweet fruit, but I appreciate them both for their differences. It depends on what I'm in the mood for.

One of the best things, however, is that my mom is more comfortable at Sea World than Disney (due to back injuries and such). She cannot walk for long periods of time. Visiting the Magic Kingdom with her grandchildren takes a lot out of her, plus she really is not big on rides to begin with.
I'm excited because SeaWorld offers me one of my dreams: to interact with dolphins and other aquatic animals. *jumps up and down* I petted a penguin and fed stingrays... how cool is that? :D

In fact, I'm going back on Saturday.

Pongo

Growing up, Sea World was my favorite theme park, And I still love it so much more than Universal, probably about as much as Disney. There are just so many different experiences you can have there, like others have said.

Also - the shows can't be beat. The Clyde and Seymore show as well as Pets Ahoy! ar some of the best in Orlando, in my opinion.

Not to mention Shamu. He's as much of a household name as Mickey.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom