SeaWorld plans changes to dolphin show, stadium

speck76

Original Poster
SeaWorld Orlando is closing its dolphin show so workers can begin renovating the stadium for a new show -- meaning time may be running out to see a klutzy dad fall backward into the pool while trying to take a picture.

SeaWorld's 8-year-old Key West Dolphin Fest will close soon, a spokeswoman said Friday. The closing is not related to the recent hurricanes, the company said. Hurricane Charley damaged the roof of the park's Bayside Stadium.

A new show featuring "a revolutionary and creative design that encompasses both sea and sky" will take its place in summer 2005, the spokeswoman said.

No word on whether the park's new show will include the shtick where an animal trainer posing as a tourist steps backward into the pool and resurfaces on a dolphin's back.

The stadium's nine dolphins and three false killer whales, which resemble slate-gray dolphins with rounded snouts, will be moved backstage during construction, the spokeswoman said.

The change is only the latest at the theme park in recent years.

Since 2002, it has converted part of its shark aquarium into a full-service restaurant and added a "village" of shops and restaurants along its lakeshore.

Last spring, the park added a seasonal nighttime show called Mistify featuring fireworks, lasers and digital videos projected onto a mist screen.

Until the dolphin show reopens, visitors will still be able to see dolphins at the dolphin nursery and at Dolphin Cove in the park's Key West section.

Legacy

Well good for SeaWorld. The KeyWest themed dolphin show has been around for a long time, so it's it good to see that they are going to change it up. As far as the dad schtick goes... it will probably be back. It's too of a laugh to give up.

speck76

Original Poster
The first time I saw that my heart about flew out of my chest.

SeaWorld has really been doing a lot to improve the structure of the park, between adding the Sharks Underwater Grill and the Waterfront Area, the park has really grown nicely the last few years. That being said, they have not really done much to change any of the shows, except the Ski Show which is new this year, and the Odyssea show, which was new last year. Although I like the C&S Pirate show, it has been there as long as I remember, and it could use a change too.

xfkirsten

It's certainly about time! :lol: That show's been around for ages. Now if they'd just replace our dolphin show here in San Diego...

Figment1986

hey.... SWSD is getting it's C&S show changed... (I think...) so whats texas getting this year??

(Anheiser Busch has been putting alot of money into each of it's parks recently....)

CAPTAIN HOOK

Its nice to see that SeaWorld is trying to keep an up-to-date appearance........I just wish that they'd change Clyde & Seymour Take Treasure Island - its beenshowing since at least April '99 :snore:

xfkirsten

Figment1986 said:
hey.... SWSD is getting it's C&S show changed... (I think...) so whats texas getting this year??

(Anheiser Busch has been putting alot of money into each of it's parks recently....)

Yup, here in San Diego "Fools With Tools" thankfully ended its run on the 6th, and March 19th will be the reopening of the show, which will be submarine themed. I've read the first page of the script and it seems weak so far, but a lot can change between now and then. Rehearsals for it start next month. One of my friends got cast in it (on the Entertainment end) so I'm sure I'll be hearing updates.

In Texas, "Fools With Tools" (much better than SWC's version) ended this summer, as well, and they'll be getting a detective-themed show. There's a press release about the show 9with concept art) at SeaWorld's site that also includes info on their new water park ride.

xfkirsten

CAPTAIN HOOK said:
Its nice to see that SeaWorld is trying to keep an up-to-date appearance........I just wish that they'd change Clyde & Seymour Take Treasure Island - its beenshowing since at least April '99 :snore:

Ditto for The Shamu Adventure, which has been going since '98.
:snore: Here in San Diego, at least, Shamu Adventure will close next year, and the stadium is getting an overhaul for a new show in 2006. Not sure if SWF is also getting a new show, though. I doubt SWT is, they just got SA a couple of years ago, but the show before it didn't last long, either, so who knows.

Lexxweb

I haven't been on key west fest! :(

Well it is about time that SeaWorld Orlando got something new, I hope next time they add a thrill ride. SeaWorld Orlando only has 3!

WildArctic
Kraken
Journey To Atlantis

speck76

Original Poster
Lexxweb said:
I haven't been on key west fest! :(

Well it is about time that SeaWorld Orlando got something new, I hope next time they add a thrill ride. SeaWorld Orlando only has 3!

WildArctic
Kraken
Journey To Atlantis

They are not a thrill ride park. There are enough parks with thrill rides....if SeaWorld focused to heavily in this area, they would lose their niche. Not too many parks offer marine shows, and most that do, don't do it well.

SeaWorld has been very diverse in their additions for the last 7 years, adding 2 thrill rides (JTA & Kraken), more shopping/restaurants (Waterfront, Sharks Underwater Grill), new shows (new ski show, Mystify, & Odyssea), and new animal exhibits (Key West)......plus a new group convention facility. They should continue expanding in this same direction.

BeachClubVillas

I had a feeling they were going to change the dolphin show. When I watched the show last June, there were three "suits" sitting in the back of the audience, taking notes. They were watching the audience for reactions and noting the parts when people laughed and stuff like that.

Clyde and Seymour just came out with a new nighttime show that parodies other Sea World attractions. It is absolutely hilarious!!! It had just opened when I was there and they had the local news stations there filming it. They made fun of Pets Ahoy and Shamu and Kraken and lots of others. It was great!

xfkirsten

BeachClubVillas said:
Clyde and Seymour just came out with a new nighttime show that parodies other Sea World attractions. It is absolutely hilarious!!! It had just opened when I was there and they had the local news stations there filming it. They made fun of Pets Ahoy and Shamu and Kraken and lots of others. It was great!

Ooooh, so is that "Sea Lions Tonite"? We've had that show here in San Diego for several years now - easily the best animal show in the park!! The only problem with it is that you really have to see all the daytime shows to get it.

BeachClubVillas

xfkirsten said:
Ooooh, so is that "Sea Lions Tonite"? We've had that show here in San Diego for several years now - easily the best animal show in the park!! The only problem with it is that you really have to see all the daytime shows to get it.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was called "Sea Lions Tonite." You're right that it helps to see the other shows. They really went after the "Pets Ahoy" show, and if you hadn't seen it you wouldn't have gotten it. I was practically rolling on the floor though! It was a great show, and a great idea!

sillyspook13

xfkirsten said:
It's a funny show, but you can tell how the folks at Sea World have their "inside jokes" about the different shows (like the valley girls at the dolphin show and the muscle men at Shamu). It's cute if you know the other shows quite well.

xfkirsten

Yes, but that steretype is quite obvious if you've seen the shows. :p

Occasionally true in-jokes come out. I went to camp for 3 years at SeaWorld of Texas, and one of the counselors had a reeeally spiffy cellphone - and all the sea lion trainers knew it. :p So in their night show once, they threw in a joke about 'John's cool cell phone' and all of us campers were practically rolling in the aisles laughing while everyone else looked at us like we were nuts. Now THAT is an obscure in-joke. :p

That's the only joke I can ever think of that you wouldn't understand even if you'd seen all the shows. Or maybe SWF's version of SLT is just a cruddy copy of ours. :D :lol:

babykalina

sillyspook13 said:
It's a funny show, but you can tell how the folks at Sea World have their "inside jokes" about the different shows (like the valley girls at the dolphin show and the muscle men at Shamu). It's cute if you know the other shows quite well.
I didn't think it was really 'inside joke' kinda things. It just went along with the idea.. the Dolphin Show is supposed to be Key West, and a lot of the trainers are younger blondes. The Shamu team used to be listed as the "Dream Team" on the Sea World website, so I just take it as kind of going along with that. The Shamu trainers are kind of the big guys of all the trainers (just along the lines that they have the 'top' and hardest position to get to in the park.

I absolutely loved Sea Lions Tonight. We went back to see it many times (we're passholders so we can :)) Just hilarious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom