SeaWorld Orlando's Antarctica Ride Oddly Closed and Silent

jeanericuser001

I think they have abandoned the ride altogether just as they abandoned the que system and 3d for turtles 360. Its cheaper with the system they have and they don't need to constantly fix the hover crafts. This is a common practice when some theme parks find a ride is no longer viable to keep. They don't demolish it but rather just let it sit. The area around it may be used for other things. Wild Arctic's que has become a howloscream house as the que for Akbar at BG has become a howloscream house. Alas I suspect the hover crafts will not be used for a long time if ever.

The website says February 2022!
Here in San Diego SeaWorld has removed the ride and will not be returning. Its was the only ride that I enjoyed. Here they have also closed all the aquariums and are building more roller coasters. If I wanted to ride a coaster I would go to Six Flags! My last trip a few weeks ago was so horrible and disappointing I only stayed an hour! RIP SeaWorld!

ElvisMickey

Since I've been curious about any updates on this myself, I did some searching and I recently watched a vlog found on YouTube dated from March of last year. The guest asked an employee at the attraction what was going on. What they said was that the ride is expensive to run, and while the park was closed due to COVID, in layman's terms the charges for the ride vehicles died, and due to a variety of things to not expect the ride to reopen at least for some time. BUT interestingly enough, the flooring for the attraction (according to the vlogger) was completely redone, which signals to me at least some intention of it reopening in the future.

Thanks for this! I didn’t even realize the ride was closed when I got in line. I was definitely surprised when the line led directly to the penguins lol. Hopefully it comes back one of these days. I’m not much of a coaster guy so it’s really one of the only rides I do in the park.

DoleWhipDrea

Thanks for this! I didn’t even realize the ride was closed when I got in line. I was definitely surprised when the line led directly to the penguins lol. Hopefully it comes back one of these days. I’m not much of a coaster guy so it’s really one of the only rides I do in the park.

I sympathize! I much prefer dark rides and was actually trying to postpone going until SeaWorld reopened the ride, but since watching this and with how much time has passed, I've decided I might as well just go.

ElvisMickey

I sympathize! I much prefer dark rides and was actually trying to postpone going until SeaWorld reopened the ride, but since watching this and with how much time has passed, I've decided I might as well just go.
I agree with you completely! I live about 10 minutes away from Sea World and annual passes are pretty cheap, so I do have one. I just don’t find myself going there that much unless they have a special event, concert, etc.

Poseidon Quest

What they said was that the ride is expensive to run, and while the park was closed due to COVID, in layman's terms the charges for the ride vehicles died, and due to a variety of things to not expect the ride to reopen at least for some time.

Living in Orlando, I've heard from at least a dozen people that this is the case. More recently, I had someone say that the vehicles were already sold. It'll probably just continue to exist as a penguin exhibit that I bypass the line for by just going up the exit.

LittleMerman

Since I've been curious about any updates on this myself, I did some searching and I recently watched a vlog found on YouTube dated from March of last year. The guest asked an employee at the attraction what was going on. What they said was that the ride is expensive to run, and while the park was closed due to COVID, in layman's terms the charges for the ride vehicles died, and due to a variety of things to not expect the ride to reopen at least for some time. BUT interestingly enough, the flooring for the attraction (according to the vlogger) was completely redone, which signals to me at least some intention of it reopening in the future.

That's sad bc the ride is so fun, even if it's really short. I really enjoy it. I hope SeaWorld pays to fix it. I also want them to figure out the Turtle Trek movie. I love that too!

DoleWhipDrea

Screamscape posted this:
icon_STOP
2024/2025 - Revised Antarctica Attraction - Rumor - (5/7/22) According to a new rumor, SeaWorld Orlando may finally be making early plans to create some kind of replacement attraction for the closed Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin trackless dark ride.
We really have no details other than that. While this likely means opening a new attraction inside the old space, we don’t know if this means re-using the previous trackless dark ride vehicles or if they might replace the entire ride system. Either way, it would serve the park well to bring an attraction back to this space. More on this as we find out.

Last edited:

aladdin2007

I wonder if they are turning it into one of the haunted house locations for now?
After being there yesterday, Im not really impressed with the direction this park has taken, nor was I impressed with its upkeep it was pretty trashy. The blaring pounding music loop that played in the park all day was like being at a rave , I dont know what they are doing. Seems to me they are trying to just have coasters and drinking, and very little else. And for all of Disney's faults lately I was really wishing that's where I was instead. I know its two different places and two different operations but seaworld use to be nice. I got the impression they dont want you stopping or taking a break just like disney now. Music is fine but there is just no reason to blare music that loudly at those pounding decimals all day long, it made it impossible to enjoy what animals are left or anything else. I brought it up to a worker she acted like she kind of knew but couldn't say anything. I think they are really lowering their bar now to generics and masses, just like disneys path. Im really regretting we bought passes on the monthly payment system I dont see myself returning anytime soon. Give me a day at Disney any day even with it being so difficult.

Andrew25

I wonder if they are turning it into one of the haunted house locations for now?
After being there yesterday, Im not really impressed with the direction this park has taken, nor was I impressed with its upkeep it was pretty trashy. The blaring pounding music loop that played in the park all day was like being at a rave , I dont know what they are doing. Seems to me they are trying to just have coasters and drinking, and very little else. And for all of Disney's faults lately I was really wishing that's where I was instead. I know its two different places and two different operations but seaworld use to be nice. I got the impression they dont want you stopping or taking a break just like disney now. Music is fine but there is just no reason to blare music that loudly at those pounding decimals all day long, it made it impossible to enjoy what animals are left or anything else. I brought it up to a worker she acted like she kind of knew but couldn't say anything. I think they are really lowering their bar now to generics and masses, just like disneys path. Im really regretting we bought passes on the monthly payment system I dont see myself returning anytime soon. Give me a day at Disney any day even with it being so difficult.

Recently became a SW/BGT pass holder and as of now not planning on renewing. The music for electric ocean should really only play at night since the music loop is quite short and by nighttime your kinda over the song selection.

At the moment, they're closing Kraken & Atlantis 2 hours prior to park close, and Ice Breaker/Mako an hour prior to fireworks... which leaves quite a gap of nothing to do.

The shows are also not as interesting as before and much shorter in duration.

The 5% surcharge fee is absolutely ridiculous, not to mention that SeaWorld is already the most expensive park to dine at in Orlando.

For a park that's trying to capture the passholder market, they're doing a really poor job at it. There's no reason why they should be selling $20 kebabs at a festival booth.

tcool123

A shame to hear the park was full of trash the last time I visited, last October, I didnt have this issue. Maybe be a staffing issue since it’s the summer season, either way unacceptable for any park to be trashy.

The music is part of the summer long event, Electric Ocean where they turn the park into a rave so that checks out as well, it is unfortunate that its not you’re vibe. Perhaps give it another go once the event is over in September?

Animals that are left? I don’t think we’ve lost any exhibits over the last few years beyond the polar bear due to its unfortunate death, but it was quickly turned into a seal exhibit and more flamingoes were added to the park thanks to Infinity Falls.

It may be a summer issue as a lot of seemed targeted to the Electric Ocean event I suggest visiting after it concludes to see if your experience is more enjoyable as it may have played a factor

Poseidon Quest

This place has been circling the drain since the pandemic. I can only speak with my experience at SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa, but it's apparent how poorly the company is being run and how little leadership understands its parks. In 2019 among the steady decline of Disney, I was always praising SeaWorld as a great, relaxing alternative where you could leisurely wander around watching the animals or experiencing some of their great coaster. However, the clientele has become obnoxiously trashy since then, their operations have become garbage (I saw a friends post showing that Mako only managed 8 dispatches in one hour) and I agree with the Electric Ocean music they're blaring around everywhere. It's incredibly obnoxious and absolutely destroys the relaxed nature of the park that I previously really liked.

As much as we complain about Disney, SeaWorld is a whole other issue. They're opening coasters without stations and I'm even seeing blatantly unsafe loading procedures (like a Team Member checking lapbars on Tigris while casually scrolling on her phone). The place is a few summers away from serious trouble if they continue general operations like this (or one major safety incident).

aladdin2007

This place has been circling the drain since the pandemic. I can only speak with my experience at SeaWorld Orlando and Busch Gardens Tampa, but it's apparent how poorly the company is being run and how little leadership understands its parks. In 2019 among the steady decline of Disney, I was always praising SeaWorld as a great, relaxing alternative where you could leisurely wander around watching the animals or experiencing some of their great coaster. However, the clientele has become obnoxiously trashy since then, their operations have become garbage (I saw a friends post showing that Mako only managed 8 dispatches in one hour) and I agree with the Electric Ocean music they're blaring around everywhere. It's incredibly obnoxious and absolutely destroys the relaxed nature of the park that I previously really liked.

As much as we complain about Disney, SeaWorld is a whole other issue. They're opening coasters without stations and I'm even seeing blatantly unsafe loading procedures (like a Team Member checking lapbars on Tigris while casually scrolling on her phone). The place is a few summers away from serious trouble if they continue general operations like this (or one major safety incident).
you said those statements perfectly exactly what we encountered and I had touched on. I'm glad I'm not the only one, prior to the pandemic we went there a lot and had very few complaints, I cant believe the downfall just within a short three years or so, since returning the other day. I wish we could cancel the passes but were stuck.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom