SeaWorld gives park employees pay raises

napnet

Original Poster
I wonder if Disney will raise their pay at all in response to this...

ORLANDO - Central Florida's drum-tight labor market prompted SeaWorld Orlando to raise entry-level pay to $7 an hour, a 20-cent increase, as the region's third-largest attraction prepares to add staff for the spring and summer tourist season.

In addition to the base-wage increase, effective this week, the water park attraction will create a second pay grade for entry-level workers, giving them an opportunity to earn more before qualifying for better paying positions. About a third of the park's 3,900 workers are in the entry pay grade.

"The unemployment rate in Orlando and the rest of Florida is very low," said Christine O'Neal, the attraction's vice president for human resources. "In order to hire and promote the best people, this is simply what we need to do."

SeaWorld plans to hire about 1,300 workers during the spring and summer.

"This is our heavy recruiting season," O'Neal said. "It's difficult. This is the tightest labor market my staff can remember."

In December, the most recent month that Florida labor market statistics were reported, the state had a 3.3 percent unemployment rate -- the lowest since 1976. Orlando's rate was even lower, 2.8 percent.

"It's at the point where employers have to actively recruit entry-level workers," said Warren May, spokesman for the Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation. "Basically, anyone who wants to work right now can get a job."

Florida's minimum wage rose to $6.40 an hour in January, but May said few jobs pay that little.

"We're hearing about employers paying $12 or $13 an hour for entry-level people," May said. "Market forces are taking over, which is very good news for people looking for work."

Central Florida's other tourist attractions are also grappling with the labor shortage.

"It's always a challenge," Universal Orlando spokesman Tom Schroder said. "It requires that we constantly review our offerings to remain as competitive as possible. We work with senior citizens; we do job fairs at high schools and colleges."

The attraction plans to hire 1,000 workers during the spring and again during the summer to augment its staff of 13,000. Universal's wage scale starts at $6.75 an hour, and employment includes benefits such as flexible hours and health insurance.

Walt Disney World, Central Florida's largest employer with 58,000 workers, also says it is studying the market, looking for ways to stay competitive.

"We offer job-specific premiums," Disney spokesman Jacob DiPietre said. "Sometimes we offer hiring and job retention bonuses."

DiPietre said entry level pay varies according to the position.

Smaller attractions are also feeling the pressure. Gatorland, with about 100 employees, pays a minimum of $7 an hour but offers employees commissions that range from 10 percent to 20 percent of wages, Gatorland President Mark McHugh said.

"This really isn't a new issue," McHugh said. "We've been looking at 3.5 percent to 4 percent unemployment rate in Orlando for a long time. And we are always competing with the big theme parks for employees."

McHugh said more applicants are looking for part-time work, a trend he attributes to the region's rising cost of living.

"We have a number of people looking for second jobs," McHugh said. "I think it really has to do with the dramatic rise in the cost of everything in Central Florida.".

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-hiring0806mar08,0,213001.story?track=rss

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
If you can get a retail or front desk job in Orlando for $8/hr, why bother at a theme park?

If they want more and better candidates, step it up to at least $8.15

JROK

mkt said:
If you can get a retail or front desk job in Orlando for $8/hr, why bother at a theme park?

If they want more and better candidates, step it up to at least $8.15

You of all people should know that it's the benefits of free park admission that we all enjoy! :p

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
lol.. true, but I also have a full time job to pay my bills with

maelstrom

As much as I would love to work at Disney, I get paid $10/hr at the YMCA. I agree with Rob, if they want the best of the best, they need to pay more. Disney, Sea World, & Universal are all in the same boat.

Figment1986

hmm.. does tjhat mean their food service gets the same raise.. cause food service at Busch Gardens Tampa gets more than attractions and merch...

(in some ways the benifits of free beer for 21 up (2 six packs a month...) and free admission for you and your family and friends (up to 6 people) to all but one anheuser busch park.. and employee discount on all those passes doesn't seem bad... but some people do need more cash...

Magic Maker

A pay raise for Disney would be nice.

However, you wouldn't know that there was a pay raise judging by the attitude and aprearance of many of the Crew Members I ran into today.

speck76

maelstrom said:
As much as I would love to work at Disney, I get paid $10/hr at the YMCA. I agree with Rob, if they want the best of the best, they need to pay more. Disney, Sea World, & Universal are all in the same boat.

better pay does not equal better workers

Universal has always paid better than Disney....yet most of the Universal workers that I have seen are not of the same quality.

If Disney became the market leader in pay for CM's (above SW and Universal) they would get a lot of people working their for the money, not for the love of the job.

crazydaveh

From what I hear, not everyone got a raise. Only those making less than $7 an hour. Some at the $7 bubble received a bump, but nothing that taxes won't kill.

Apparently, everyone making well over $7 stayed at the same level of pay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom