Seasonal Attraction Overlays

Imagineer999

Original Poster
The parks will be celebrating Halloween and Christmas soon, and this is when some attractions undergo temporary overlays to reflect on the time of year. Some talking points I'd like to bring up are:

What is your favorite overlay?
Haunted Mansion Holiday. Should it come to WDW, and do you think it ever will?
Will the Country Bear Christmas Special ever return?
Will the Jingle Cruise return to Disneyland this year?

For me, my favorite overlay is HMH and I was fortunate enough to experience it at Disneyland in 2010 and 2016. Being an east coast resident, I don't get out there as much as I do WDW. I love the Haunted Mansion very much, but I am also a fan of the overlay, though I have mixed opinions about it coming to WDW (if that were to happen). I do like having classic mansion for Halloween, and that makes the most sense especially for WDW, but to me the WDW mansion feels odd without Sandy Claws being there during the holidays. The main argument I always hear for WDW not doing the overlay is because WDW appeals more to tourists who want to see the classics as they are (and I'm sure they'd question a haunted mansion celebrating Christmas during the Halloween season) and Disneyland appeals more to locals who are more needy of attractions undergoing seasonal overlays. It does make sense, but I think WDW should give the overlay a try before thinking that average guests wouldn't want it, and if they don't want it during the Halloween season, maybe they can get it for Christmas.

TwilightZone

1. Gotta say GOTG MB Monsters after dark looks really cool and should have been the main ride
2. No, not in WDW at the very least. It is in Japan though
3. I'm not really sure.

Goofyernmost

In my opinion, they don't do them in WDW for the same reason that there was so much negative reaction to the Castle Cake overlay. Unlike, DW that has a huge contingency of locals that enjoy an occasional change of pace, WDW is more of a travel a long distance for a once only visit and they wanted to see the castle not the damn cake.

I made my one and done trip to DL the day that they switched over to the Haunted Mansion overlay. I was hugely disappointed because first of all I hate that particular nightmare IP, but second, I really wanted to see how HM compared with the one I was the most familiar with in WDW.

That same attitude applies to all the WDW classics, be it Country Bears, Small World, Pirates and to a lesser degree, the low key, more decoration then overlay, Jungle Cruise. There are many people that travel long distances to DL as well, but, no where near that of WDW. I not only do not foresee WDW doing the overlays that DL does, but, also think I can see why it would be a bad idea. When you add together the time the overlay runs coupled with the set up and tear down time required, it is just not a worthwhile thing for WDW. Also, at this point, they are a draw for DL from people that want to see the overlays. They just go to DL, however, there would be no visible degree of increase for WDW by also having them. That should remain a Disneyland exclusive.

Rosso11

No WDW should not do the Mansion overlay. Nightmare Before Christmas has proved its longevity and deserves its own ride/min land. For years WDW has toyed with the idea of doing a darker Holloween party at the studios. Building a permanent Holloween Town with a dark ride would be a great way to anchor this party. Then they can overlay it to Christmas Town in November and December to help replace the loss of the Osborne lights.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
it's a small world holiday is fantastic. I have always enjoyed small world, but my husband eh...not so much. The first thing he said to me after riding it's a small world holiday was "We have to go on that again!". This would be a fairly easy overlay to do at WDW but I'm sure it will never happen.

geekza

The problem with the overlays is that the ride has to be shut down for a while for the extensive ones like HMH. Since Disneyland still caters more to locals, it isn't as big a deal to have the Mansion shut down every year for several weeks. In Orlando, it would not go over well.

crxbrett

I know I am in the minority when I say this, but the NBC overlay of The Haunted Mansion at DL has worn out it's welcome for me. For one, I feel like it's definitely more of a christmas movie and therefore I don't really want to see xmas decorations in September. Secondly, the regular version of Haunted Mansion is missing from the park for a whopping 5 months! Kind of ridiculous to me.

I think a big reason why it will never come to WDW is because I can't see the MK justifying closing the ride down 5 weeks every year just for an overlay. And since the MK starts to celebrate Halloween now in late August, if they ever did do it, the HM would need to close in late July in order for it to be open in time for MNSSHP - which I just don't ever see happening since summer is so big at WDW. I also don't think people would really care to have the original version only running from Feb-Jul (6 months) and the overlay running almost just as long.

I wish DL would only do the overlay maybe once every 2 or 3 years to keep it special. And maybe close the original HM down the day after Halloween and only run the NBC overlay from mid-Nov to early January.

Again, I know I am very much in the minority lol

crxbrett

it's a small world holiday is fantastic. I have always enjoyed small world, but my husband eh...not so much. The first thing he said to me after riding it's a small world holiday was "We have to go on that again!". This would be a fairly easy overlay to do at WDW but I'm sure it will never happen.

I agree. This is probably my favorite overlay. It just works tremendously well, so much so that it actually feels like the attraction could have even been designed as an xmas experience originally.

Imagineer999

Original Poster
In my opinion, they don't do them in WDW for the same reason that there was so much negative reaction to the Castle Cake overlay. Unlike, DW that has a huge contingency of locals that enjoy an occasional change of pace, WDW is more of a travel a long distance for a once only visit and they wanted to see the castle not the damn cake.

I made my one and done trip to DL the day that they switched over to the Haunted Mansion overlay. I was hugely disappointed because first of all I hate that particular nightmare IP, but second, I really wanted to see how HM compared with the one I was the most familiar with in WDW.

That same attitude applies to all the WDW classics, be it Country Bears, Small World, Pirates and to a lesser degree, the low key, more decoration then overlay, Jungle Cruise. There are many people that travel long distances to DL as well, but, no where near that of WDW. I not only do not foresee WDW doing the overlays that DL does, but, also think I can see why it would be a bad idea. When you add together the time the overlay runs coupled with the set up and tear down time required, it is just not a worthwhile thing for WDW. Also, at this point, they are a draw for DL from people that want to see the overlays. They just go to DL, however, there would be no visible degree of increase for WDW by also having them. That should remain a Disneyland exclusive.

Yes, that is exactly the reason. Average guests want to see the classics the way they are, and they wouldn't want to see the mansion decorated for Christmas during Halloween, and I agree with that. I'd rather the mansion only be decorated during the Christmas season (for both Disneyland and WDW), but there's no point in Disney spending the money to decorate it for about two months and it's not going to be a huge draw for tourists, and the amount of time it takes to install the overlay will disappoint many folks.

Speaking of time, it only takes three days to decorate the Jungle Cruise and that's why that is the only overlay that WDW currently gets, and not much of the attraction is even decorated!

Imagineer999

Original Poster
No, possibly and probably.

I hope the rumors of the Country Bear Christmas Special returning are true. Out of all the overlays that WDW could do, I think that one makes the most sense to bring back. It really captured the potential of the show, and there were guests who loved it, and I don't think it would be too much of a loss for tourists if the attraction was only closed for a couple weeks during the fall to install the overlay. I love the CBJ, but it's not one of the park's largest draws and I rarely ever see a full house when it isn't summer.

Imagineer999

Original Poster
I know I am in the minority when I say this, but the NBC overlay of The Haunted Mansion at DL has worn out it's welcome for me. For one, I feel like it's definitely more of a christmas movie and therefore I don't really want to see xmas decorations in September. Secondly, the regular version of Haunted Mansion is missing from the park for a whopping 5 months! Kind of ridiculous to me.

I think a big reason why it will never come to WDW is because I can't see the MK justifying closing the ride down 5 weeks every year just for an overlay. And since the MK starts to celebrate Halloween now in late August, if they ever did do it, the HM would need to close in late July in order for it to be open in time for MNSSHP - which I just don't ever see happening since summer is so big at WDW. I also don't think people would really care to have the original version only running from Feb-Jul (6 months) and the overlay running almost just as long.

I wish DL would only do the overlay maybe once every 2 or 3 years to keep it special. And maybe close the original HM down the day after Halloween and only run the NBC overlay from mid-Nov to early January.

Again, I know I am very much in the minority lol

I do agree that the overlay has lost its touch. I do love it, but it doesn't feel as special as it once was, and it's weird seeing it decorated for Christmas in September. That's why I think it should only be done during the holidays (for both DLR and WDW). Yes, summer is big and they can't handle closing mansion during that time and it makes the most sense to keep it classic during Halloween.

Imagineer999

Original Poster

I think smalll world should do the overlay, but being a classic and popular ride, idk if that will ever happen. Still, I've always felt that the ride was designed to have a seasonal overlay to it.

Imagineer999

Original Poster
Sadly, the edited version that's running now really affected the pacing of the show. I still love it, but it was somewhat damaged in the edit, I feel.

I agree. The shortened version feels unnatural. What made the show funny was how disorganized it was, but now it's mostly run in a neatly manner. Melvin, Buff, and Max have been reduced to spectators who barely say anything at all. The reason for this shortened version is because guests weren't staying for the full show. 15 minutes is apparently too long for some people nowadays and they wanted a shorter show. It's a shame, but I guess shortening the show was the only way to save it. If they ever bring back the Christmas Special, I'm sure that will be shortened too, but for me, bringing it back would somewhat make up for the original version being shortened.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Yes, that is exactly the reason. Average guests want to see the classics the way they are, and they wouldn't want to see the mansion decorated for Christmas during Halloween, and I agree with that. I'd rather the mansion only be decorated during the Christmas season (for both Disneyland and WDW), but there's no point in Disney spending the money to decorate it for about two months and it's not going to be a huge draw for tourists, and the amount of time it takes to install the overlay will disappoint many folks.

Speaking of time, it only takes three days to decorate the Jungle Cruise and that's why that is the only overlay that WDW currently gets, and not much of the attraction is even decorated!
Cue the "local park versus tourist destination" explanation.

Raineman

I am of the opinion that seasonal overlays should never be used for attractions. If you want to decorate the rest of the parks, have at it-I have been to WDW during the Halloween & Christmas seasons (in the span of 1 week-Halloween for the first couple of days, then Christmas for the rest of the trip, which was a bit strange), and the parks looked great, all decked out. When I ride JC or HM, even though I've been on them many times, I want the original experience, not some IP that I may not like and holiday theming that doesn't make sense (Christmas in the jungle?)

disneygeek90

I don't get the hate for the Nightmare before Christmas overlay. I got to see it for the first time last year and I truly enjoyed it. It's a temporary alteration from the norm and can be a nice change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom