Seas to reopen 11/23/05

AndyMagic

askmike1 said:
And do you know how many attractions it opened up with? The whole reason that park was built so fast was to open it before Universal Studios opened.

-Michael
I'm well aware of that. It doesn't change the fact that it was still a very impressive undertaking to build it so quickly. Those of you that are defending the 6-month long GMR rehab are delusional. Things can get done if you put the money forward. It was obvious that GMR was put on the slowest possible rehab schedule. Just look at Disneyland's transformation for an idea of how quickly rides can be rehabbed. The fact remains that Disney just doesn't bother building at the blistering pace they used to because it simply costs more money! It is easier to spread the budget for a huge attraction over the course of 3 years instead of the 1 and a half to 2 years that most E-tickets prior to the mid-90's were constructed in. I've said it many times before but you need not look any farther than the Stitch upgrade to see how slow Disney has become. It took longer for AE to turn into Stitch than it did for the combined gutting of Kongfrontation and construction of the new Mummy ride in its place. That is just sad. What were they doing in there for a year? All programming of the animatronic should have been done way before AE closed so you can't factor that into the schedule. It's just mindblowing when you look at how quickly additions like Sunset Blvd with Tower of Terror were constructed years ago.

Seth141

Sea Cabs

Just to clarify the issue of the wall being up around the Sea Cabs... There really has not been much, if any, work done on the ride this entire time its been closed since 2001. These are the pictures I took in May of the ride when I snuck inside:
seacab00wubba2sg.jpg
seacab01wubba5ej.jpg

So as you can see, not much has been done except to possibly polish the current ride vehicles. But considering that one of the main problems with the original ride were people jumping out of the vehicles, its safe to assume that they will at least be modified in some way.

dox

marni1971 said:
Indy came on line properly in the autumn, and Star Tours in December. . . . . ."phase 2 Muppet Studios was brought forward. Due to Jim Hemsons death & legal issues surrounding ownership, only MV3D was completed.

I was at the Studios, the August after its opening in May, and Indy was open already and i believe it opened with the park in May. You are right about Star Tours though.

And i'm positive the Muppet Vision 3D was open too. I remember standing in line forever that first time to see that show. And I remember how you weren't allowed to cross new york street except for one small section near the new york cityscape to cross over to the Muppet area.

I wouldn't say park was a half day really. But it wasn't an all day park. You could easily be out of the park by 6p.m. However, due to the large crowds the first year it was tough. I remember being in the park till late our first visit and as I said above I remember leaving MV3D for last due to the large crowds. If i'm wrong about MV3D i'll have to check my guide book.

Bellhop Jer

AndyMagic said:
I'm well aware of that. It doesn't change the fact that it was still a very impressive undertaking to build it so quickly. Those of you that are defending the 6-month long GMR rehab are delusional. Things can get done if you put the money forward. It was obvious that GMR was put on the slowest possible rehab schedule. Just look at Disneyland's transformation for an idea of how quickly rides can be rehabbed. The fact remains that Disney just doesn't bother building at the blistering pace they used to because it simply costs more money! It is easier to spread the budget for a huge attraction over the course of 3 years instead of the 1 and a half to 2 years that most E-tickets prior to the mid-90's were constructed in. I've said it many times before but you need not look any farther than the Stitch upgrade to see how slow Disney has become. It took longer for AE to turn into Stitch than it did for the combined gutting of Kongfrontation and construction of the new Mummy ride in its place. That is just sad. What were they doing in there for a year? All programming of the animatronic should have been done way before AE closed so you can't factor that into the schedule. It's just mindblowing when you look at how quickly additions like Sunset Blvd with Tower of Terror were constructed years ago.

That is true.... I wish they would progress faster as well with all the refurbishments, new attractions, and things in that nature, yet with such a complex audio animatronic like stitch ( I think its called an AAC, or something in that nature.) it takes over 8 hours to program 1 second of movement....so if you do the math, plus re-themeing, it was about right. But overall, I do agree but it makes it worth all the wait in the end! ºoº

JEDIsney

I'm going to be at WDW when they re-open The Living Seas, so I'm very happy about that. But I'm also nervous, because everyone is saying different things about the SeaCabs. I really hope that they're being worked on, because I would love to ride them again. It's been so long...

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
A note: Disney video-taping the Dolphins in Depth tour for its guests has been discontinued. There's certainly something going on in the "Crew Quarters" sections of Seas.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sergeant Tibbs said:
So Sea Cabs has been closed since 2001? What exactly was it? I never got a chance to ride it.

The Cabs closed sometime early 2002. Please try a thread search - there is lots of info on the Cabs in other threads :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom