SE is SOOO Uncomfortable!

dennikoon

Original Poster
While the nostalgia set goes head to head with the thrill ride group on the Spaceship Earth speculation, no one has said anything about how uncomfortable and noisy the ride system is! I can not hear the "education" portion of the attraction because the sound system is so poor and the ride makes so much noise. I think it is ironic that this attraction does such a bad job communicating the point. Tower of Terror and Rock n Rollercoaster proved that you can have a smooth well timed attraction with excellent sound that can, in TOT's case, adapt and change as needed. The fact that these are "thrill rides" seems to miss the point; control and application of the latest technology enhances the ability to adapt an attraction to suit the needs, be them to thrill, educate or entertain. This, to me, is what will make EPCOT a better park. It is not the Nostalgia park. Imagination and Inovation should be a part of every attraction, not just certain pavilions. Isn't anyone else unimpressed by the finale of SE that predicts that one day we will be able to phone from anywhere and we will have education by video?

And that trip back down is, literally, a pain in the neck!

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by dennikoon
Tower of Terror and Rock n Rollercoaster proved that you can have a smooth well timed attraction with excellent sound that can, in TOT's case, adapt and change as needed..............
.............And that trip back down is, literally, a pain in the neck!
The technology used for the ride systems of the 1990's TOT & RNR is far more superior than the "state of the art" which was in place when SE was conceived.
As for the journey back down - it must be the way you are sitting - none of my family have ever complained (could be that we're totally absorbed in the ride and don't notice) about back pain :animwink:

tenchu

I've always thought the head rest could do with some padding for the downhill section at the end, when you are travelling backwards.

Epcot is my fav

I agree the seats are very uncomfy......i usually sit alone in a row...so that i can put my legs on the seat and my back against the side....its s little better....plus it does not hurt while going back down the ride

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
On the downhill, I'm always turned around looking behind me at exactly how steep it really is! It's amazing. (I'm also turned around so I don't have to look at those annoying signs telling you to not get out of your seat!)

Gaston1

One time when we were riding on SE, either they were unloading a handicaped person or it broke down right on the downhill section. We were sitting there for 5-10 minutes and I did not feel any discomfort. My dad was in the car in front of us. He often has back and neck pain but he also was not complaining. You are probably just sitting wrong.

jmarc63

Originally posted by dennikoon
While the nostalgia set goes head to head with the thrill ride group on the Spaceship Earth speculation, no one has said anything about how uncomfortable and noisy the ride system is! I can not hear the "education" portion of the attraction because the sound system is so poor and the ride makes so much noise. I think it is ironic that this attraction does such a bad job communicating the point. Tower of Terror and Rock n Rollercoaster proved that you can have a smooth well timed attraction with excellent sound that can, in TOT's case, adapt and change as needed. The fact that these are "thrill rides" seems to miss the point; control and application of the latest technology enhances the ability to adapt an attraction to suit the needs, be them to thrill, educate or entertain. This, to me, is what will make EPCOT a better park. It is not the Nostalgia park. Imagination and Inovation should be a part of every attraction, not just certain pavilions. Isn't anyone else unimpressed by the finale of SE that predicts that one day we will be able to phone from anywhere and we will have education by video?

And that trip back down is, literally, a pain in the neck!

Accually the squeakes and other noises have been mentioned Before in other posts, they havent been mentioned as much as the other topics on SE, but they have been mentioned.

As far as the sound system on SE, as compared to ToT or RnR, you have to remember when they were created. SE was designed in 1979-1980. The digital tecnology they have now on ToT and RnR wasn't available then, so SE Is Antiquated in respect to it's sound system.

Thats what you have occuring in a time where the technology advances in a reletavily short time

Dizknee_Phreek

i was thinking the same thing...SE's technology is over a decade old, whereas ToT and RnRC's is probably 7 years and less. (when did ToT open anyway?) SE's had a lot more wear and tear than the other two. I'm sure SE was smooth and well-timed when it first opened...it's just what age does to an attraction.
and jmarc's right...technology blossomed in a short time...think of the internet...when SE was built the internet was still a dream to the general public, but when ToT and RnRC was built the internet was making its rounds to most households in America, and who knows how many more in the world! and, of course, not just internet...look at DVD players, and even cars...the list could go on and on!
and also, Imagineers probably got smart to the fact that rides are going to need updates, so between SE and ToT, they probably built the attractions with easy updating of technology in mind.

as for SE being uncomfortable, i've never had nor heard a complaint. it may have gotten a little uncomfortable every now and then, but i just switched my position and i was fine.

and, as for SE's finale...i love it! i've always loved it! it's not so much what i see that impresses me...it's the music! and again, we have the technology advances in a short time period to think about here....when the finale was updated (can't remember what year that was) that kind of tecnology was pretty much unheard of...another dream of the general public's. it was something completely new at the time. now, we've moved on. SE just needs an update. now i don't know how they could...it may just be me, but it seems like the world is looking less at what technology the future holds and more at what's happening here and now. maybe they could put something about cloning in the finale :lol:

RobVanDam

who cares man ... i mean ... its SE .. Its educational and a very good ride i admit , but you do fall asleep sometimes .. so if your sleeping and you get "pains" you hardly feel them...

DisneyWonders07

I love SE it's one of my favorite attractions...The sound quality is fine for me, and I admit the seats are a bit on the "hard" side, but I wouldn't say uncomfortable. Again, it all depends on how much toleration you have for pain, and how much you like the ride. I totally get absorbed, so I don't really notice much about my back.:rolleyes:

WDWfan2209

I agree, the sound is horrible and it is uncomfortable but no one has mentioned that the "showrooms" or "scenes" or whatever they're called are out of date. The last scene when you desend down it has what is now possible with technology. I happy to see it change. I might miss it a little, just a little!

Dizknee_Phreek

WDWfan, dennikoon actually did mention the 'outdated' scene in his/her post (the very first post) then i made comment on it later on. that's what we were talking about when we said 'finale'. ;)

Invero

The only thing about SE that I find uncomfortable is the headrests. But then again, that's because I'm 6'2", and a bit too tall for them.

General Grizz

Interesting news and rumors... :lookaroun :p :lol: :p

It usually varies - sometimes it can be bumpy, other times much smoother. The ride requires maintenece...

I haven't found it uncomfortable - last time I really had a problem with it was probably in December of 2001. Last time, it was just fine.

If it really hurts your back, don't worry. If it's a small bother, just bring a pillow or something... :confused:

Luau Cove

You can say SE's vehicles are uncomfortable, but how many of you slowly close your eyes and almost fall asleep at the beginning of the ride, eh?:animwink:

-->Lu(ther)Wow

blm07

The only time that I feel bad on that ride is if a friend is sitting right next to me (that will never happen again). Otherwise, I'm to much into the ride to notice.

Invero

Originally posted by Luau Cove
You can say SE's vehicles are uncomfortable, but how many of you slowly close your eyes and almost fall asleep at the beginning of the ride, eh?:animwink:

-->Lu(ther)Wow

I think thats WHY they're uncomfortable... to keep me awake... lol... :snore: :hammer: :lol: :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom