Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater

GoofyFan1

Original Poster
Do you need PS for Sci-Fi or can you usually get a seat when you get there? Usually I have stuff like that all planned, but this time, 7/6-7/12, we're just winging it.

lawyergirl77

GoofyFan1 said:
Do you need PS for Sci-Fi or can you usually get a seat when you get there? Usually I have stuff like that all planned, but this time, 7/6-7/12, we're just winging it.
Virtually impossible. If you want to eat there you're going to have to make a reservation...

You're going during a really REALLY busy time of year... Are you sure winging it is such a good idea for any of your dining arrangements??? If you're normally a planner, this may lead to a whole heckuva lot of disappointment for you... :wave:

Nicole

If you want to eat at 4:00 or 9:00 you might have a chance. If you want to eat at a normal time you will need a reservation.

BRER STITCH

Yep....

A trip in July makes reservations almost mandatory to get in to the places you really want to eat at.

Peak travel season and the Dining Plan have really kept the places filled!

Even in the off seasons, SCI-FI sometimes has significant wait times.

Better to be safe than sorry or you will be winging it at counter service locations all weeK! :eek:

kcnole

I've heard several people recommend this restaurant. What exactly is it and what makes it so great?

BRER STITCH

kcnole said:
I've heard several people recommend this restaurant. What exactly is it and what makes it so great?

You dine in a car at the drive in! That's what makes it a unique experience.

But for the record...I would never say it was "great".

:lookaroun

ssidiouss@mac.c

kcnole said:

Its not great.. its just super cool. You eat in these little cars and it looks like a drive in movie theater in the 50s. Its dark out and theres a big movie screen etc. Totally awesome feeling!! They also have insanely great milkshakes and onion rings.. MM!M!M!M!M!!11

Oh and also they play these really funny old movie trailers from cheezy scifi movies of the 50s.. soo funny.

lawyergirl77

It's a fun place to eat, but I wouldn't go there for anything other than a milkshake and onion rings, or some of their nummy chili. The meals there just aren't worth it, IMHO.

But, I would recommend trying it at least once for the novelty of the place. It really is cool to sit back and watch those cheesy B-movie clips!! :lol:

BRER STITCH

lawyergirl77 said:
It's a fun place to eat, but I wouldn't go there for anything other than a milkshake and onion rings, or some of their nummy chili.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm! Cookies and Cream Milkshakes!!! :slurp:

THIS JUST IN: WENDY'S to take over the Sci-Fi Chili Concession!

:D

kellydisney

I went here back in 1989 and I still have horrible flashbacks of the disgusting pasta dish I ate there. GROSS. But I guess I should try it again as an adult.

shoppingnut

If you decide to "wing it" you just might be winging yourself to the nearest counter service place. You definitely need a PS here. Although the atmosphere is what is great about the place, the food is just a bit okay. I'd rather go to 50's Prime Time. Mmmm smores.

hansel1

Well, i see you've chosen to make a PS for the sci-fi diner. Good Choice, but you may want to make all your PSs for your stay. Even in january a slow season, many people were turned away from restaurants as the priority seating was booked. Most waits were near an hour and a half.

mattfz

The appeal of the Sci Fi Theater is the atmosphere. The food is average. However, if you are on the meal plan, you can get quite a great deal since the meals are fairly expensive, and on the plan you get drinks, entree, appetizer, and dessert.

joefox97

mattfz said:
The appeal of the Sci Fi Theater is the atmosphere. The food is average. However, if you are on the meal plan, you can get quite a great deal since the meals are fairly expensive, and on the plan you get drinks, entree, appetizer, and dessert.

they're not expensive, at least not in theme park speak. They have sandwiches and other items for decent prices, and even my favorite entree, the Coke ribs, are only $16.95, I think. Expensive would be Cindy's at $35 a plate starting. My last dinner for 2 there was over $100. That's expensive, IMO. Sci-Fi falls into the moderate $$ category, I think.

And the shakes are really great. I love "The Blob" song... i finally found it on MP3... did you know that it was a Burt Bacharach collaboration?

joe

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I'm going to be the voice of dissent and say don't bother with Sci-Fi.

The seating is weird, and the little tray-table things barely hold the plates the food comes served on. That's just, i dunno, poor planning.

Plus, if you're any party size other than 6 (booked as 6, not 2/2/2 or 2/4, which you WILL be split up for) you'll end up with people you don't know.

That's not a bad thing - normally. At Biergarten or Mitsukoshi, you all seat around the table and can converse, or not make eye contact, it's your choice. At Sci-Fi you are in people "bubble" as the rows are tiny and smushed. You food is literally balancing precariously on the aforementioned rack inbetween their shoulder blades. God forbid someone sneeze.

Conversation? No, it's a creepy stare at the back of someone's head. Talk to your neighbor? You try sitting sideways in that vehicle.

I had myself and a very petite female friend and we were "hitchhikers" in a car with a family of 4. They had two young children. The whole thing was eerily odd. The awkward silence that overtook our car was looming over every other car and the place was jsut creepy silent.

The movie playing isn't that interesting.

My take, do with it as you please.

Yukinon

I think Sci-Fi is one of those places you have to experience at least once, because it is really unique. However the food is less than desirable and its not a comfortable seat, but the atmosphere in there is really cool!

Hope you can get your PS, as everyone else has said during that busy time of year you NEED to have your PS's in order!

slappy magoo

Add another vote for making reservations everywhere you want to go-you can always cancel them if your plans change.

As far as Sci-Fi goes, I'd suggest eating a counter-service lunch, and either making a reservation for 3:30 or just show around them and just have dessert. You get the atmosphere, it's less crowded, and you won't be disappointed by their lackluster fare. They make a halfway-decent burger, but that's about it, IMHO. Desserts however, are always welcome in my yapper.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom