Scenes from the Road

Kristia

Original Poster
I know a few people have posted some pics of sights they see on the road so I thought it might be fun to have a thread. I have always been curious about what other peoples running routes look like and what things people see along the way both good and bad. :p Along with running and playing with my horses, another thing I am into is photography and although I can't bring my good camera on a run, I still like to snap some pics on occassion.

To start, this is my run near my work. I work in the middle of the NJ Pine Barrens so there is nothing out there. Today during my run, I didn't even see a car on the road. That can change in the summer but winter pretty dead. Nice and quiet!

Lake Oswego Rd
035.jpg

030.jpg

Lake Oswego

031.jpg

032.jpg

Not the best pics because it was cloudy and getting dark.

So what are your scenes from the road?

Kristia

Original Poster
Here some scenes from my run today. This is one of our favorite loops. It is an 8 mile loop that takes us along and over the Mullica River in Greenbank, NJ.

004.jpg

This bridge is a drawbridge, that on occassion we have to wait for an opening, especially during the summer boating season.

005.jpg

006.jpg

009.jpg

Not exactly a scene on the road, but when we returned home, everyone was napping in the field except one of our minis (Floyd) who was keeping watch!

010-1.jpg

Texas84

This is where it all started for me. I ran after work on the Ocmulgee Heritage Trail in downtown Macon, Georgia. 3-mile round trip. I run in the mornings now in my neighborhood in Warner Robins.

IM000487s_zps9a8c8d78.jpg

019s_zpsc1ae08ee.jpg

024s_zps3aadfa39.jpg

This is where the trail passes under I-16 in Macon. They are getting ready to expand the I-16/I-75 interchange and the project will extend the trail across the river heading north. Will extend it to 10 miles I think.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Kristia, I think I see a black draft horse in one of those pictures. They have my heart.

Ill have to get a picture of the pasture and my favorite Clydesdale in the world down the street from my house.

joel_maxwell

I posted this in What Did You Do thread awhile back, but Ill repost it to participate in the thread. Great idea. I see cool roads etc all the time that i take pictures of and text Sam and Nick, but I can put the here too. Around mile 8ish. Sun finally coming up. Lake in Greystone Farms, Birmingham.

photo.JPG

JillC LI

Very cool thread. I do not run with a camera or even a camera phone, but I can show you some pics that my hubby took when he joined me on the trail where I trained for the NYC Marathon. It runs from the south shore to the north shore of Long Island, and this was during Fall so it was particularly pretty. The vast majority of my runs aren't nearly so scenic.

ElissaBday-JillRunning-Halloween2005070_zps9379f44b.jpg

ElissaBday-JillRunning-Halloween2005062_zpsc2c07904.jpg

Kristia

Original Poster
Kristia, I think I see a black draft horse in one of those pictures. They have my heart.

Ill have to get a picture of the pasture and my favorite Clydesdale in the world down the street from my house.
Yep, you are right! That is my horse, Sonic. He is a half draft. Half Percheron, half paint but he didn't get any of his dad's spots. The horse to the right in center/back of the pic is my husbands horse, Theoden. He is a full Clydesdale and huge! The rest of the horses belong to two friends who board here.

Kristia

Original Poster
Very cool thread. I do not run with a camera or even a camera phone, but I can show you some pics that my hubby took when he joined me on the trail where I trained for the NYC Marathon. It runs from the south shore to the north shore of Long Island, and this was during Fall so it was particularly pretty. The vast majority of my runs aren't nearly so scenic.

ElissaBday-JillRunning-Halloween2005070_zps9379f44b.jpg

ElissaBday-JillRunning-Halloween2005062_zpsc2c07904.jpg
Love the fall colors! Things are so blah looking here now and rainy/windy!!

joel_maxwell

Yep, you are right! That is my horse, Sonic. He is a half draft. Half Percheron, half paint but he didn't get any of his dad's spots. The horse to the right in center/back of the pic is my husbands horse, Theoden. He is a full Clydesdale and huge! The rest of the horses belong to two friends who board here.
The one in the middle looks like my favorite, Kimberly. She is so pretty.

a2grafix

Scenes from my road, along the Mighty Mississippi in Memphis in mid-September.

326326_10151150634042708_1051359034_o.jpg

Pretty much same location but running on another trail along the Bluffs looking down at the same park and the Mississippi River on Riverside Drive, a few months later in early November ...

134966_10151234625687708_2086849923_o.jpg

Most of time I run through the Main Street Mall, which is about 1.5 miles or so of cobblestone and brick with an occasional trolley or horse-drawn carriage. Combine this street a lot with my other runs, sort of like a straightaway finish line or start/finish area right in front of my apartment downtown.

614514_10151129748287708_265000248_o.jpg

a2grafix

That's amazing. How long are the Mississippi trails?

Pretty long, a good 5.5 miles but I have to take city streets to jump from riverfront trail to another riverfront trail on Mud Island (which is not an island but more of a peninsula). I like to modify my runs. I say jump because I-40 West into Arkansas cuts off one of the trails downtown (first picture). The second picture is an elevated incline trail that takes me into a residential district that I sometimes run back into the downtown district near Beale Street (photo 3).

There is also a park system some 20 miles outside the system that has 2.75, 1.65, and 6-7 mile loops. There is also a "greenline" that spans 10 miles or so, for now, that walkers, runners and bikers take to every day. Have not run on the greenline but will soon.

Still finding "city trails" for me to run on. There are 2 running clubs and 2 or 3 running organizations that set up weekly 5Ks all throughout Memphis. I've run in a few downtown 5Ks in the past 2 months, and although they start in the same location, the routes are quite different, as are the finish lines. I have been keeping track of their "race routes" and using them to my advantage. Interesting running around midnight into a deserted Beale Street on a week night.

GoofyRacer11

This is a great a idea for a thread! I want to get a GoPro HD sports camera so that I can
wear it on my head and film all my training runs and post it to my blog!

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Here are some images from my normal loop that takes me about 10 miles.

I start out on a trail that follows along a highway. It sits lower than the road, but is still very open to the element, especially wind.
616265_470003229685962_1816814594_o.jpg

The picture above was taken during the summer, when everything was green...the rest are from a fall run on the same route.

I then turn into town, and through residential areas. Eventually, I get to a park that sits along a big lake.
615653_501070343245917_1233141845_o.jpg

621481_501072723245679_244088433_o.jpg

57481_501073176578967_1318768281_o.jpg

664932_501074756578809_791649738_o.jpg

Eventually, we run along the small road by the lighthouse. My house is actually on the land you can see in the distance....this is almost right on my halfway point.
55486_501075743245377_1281428056_o.jpg

We continue on along the roads near the lake, until we start heading back out of town, where we pick up on a dirt and gravel path through the woods. This is where we see a lot of wildlife. On this day, we saw a bunch of turkeys near a house in the township.
176986_500224059997212_637949928_o.jpg

This path finishes out the run, and is usually welcome to sore muscles, as it's a little easier on the legs than pavement.
132247_500224796663805_1622366591_o.jpg

We have ways of adding to or deleting from this route to get various distances we are looking for, but these are the highlights.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom