Scary Adventures vs Mine Train

Disneydreamer23

I like both, I would have liked Mine train more if A. The ride was longer and B. It was a little bigger my DH has a hard time sitting comfortable since he is so tall.

Walt Disney1955

This is where Magic Kingdom loses to Disneyland. I haven't seen the Mine Train yet, but there is no reason to close an original attraction over it opening. Snow White was a classic and a 1971 original. Sometimes Disney should let sleeping dogs lie. There is more space than any other place and somehow MK never utilizes it properly. It's too bad. Disneyland has maintained their 1955 attractions and even to put something like Star Wars Land in there they are getting rid of only the Big Thunder Ranch. I mean, there is a reason they don't touch Fantasyland. MK does though and they shouldn't.

Goofyernmost

This is where Magic Kingdom loses to Disneyland. I haven't seen the Mine Train yet, but there is no reason to close an original attraction over it opening. Snow White was a classic and a 1971 original. Sometimes Disney should let sleeping dogs lie. There is more space than any other place and somehow MK never utilizes it properly. It's too bad. Disneyland has maintained their 1955 attractions and even to put something like Star Wars Land in there they are getting rid of only the Big Thunder Ranch. I mean, there is a reason they don't touch Fantasyland. MK does though and they shouldn't.
You guys talk like Disneyland has never closed classic attractions. How about ditching CoP or Country Bears Jamboree or the People Mover? There are others as well, just to lazy to look them up. It also looks like a number of them will bite the dust to make way for Star Wars, of all things!

thomas998

You guys talk like Disneyland has never closed classic attractions. How about ditching CoP or Country Bears Jamboree or the People Mover? There are others as well, just to lazy to look them up. It also looks like a number of them will bite the dust to make way for Star Wars, of all things!
You missed my favorite Skyway... and as you mention numerous other rides many of which were originals... I think Big Phil is showing his young age by not remembering many of the rides that have vanished over the years at DL. I fully expect that in another 100 years assuming DL and WDW are still around that you will probably find very few rides then that you have today... Things change, hopefully for the better.

Fox&Hound

7DMT by a landslide. Scary Adventures was fun for what it was but it wasn't a coaster and I'm not sure how you can truly compare the two. With mine train there is a thrill element as well as first-class AA's and, like others said, beautiful views of the park. With Scary Adventures it was more static where you drove by scenes from the movie but it did not feel as immersive.

the-reason14

My only gripe is they got rid of it to plop down a meet n greet. Like many have already stated, MK and WDW as big as it is couldn't find another area for little Sarah to force her parents to wait hours just to meet a princess? They could have easily converted that space to another dark ride, maybe Pinocchio since it uses the same car style out in Disneyland. Or they could have been original and made a dark ride we've never seen before. Like the lion king, Aladdin, sky was the limit. And it also would have been nice to have a beauty and the best dark ride to go along with all that nice scenery but that's a different discussion.

jhastings74

I never rode the original, but did ride the 2.0 many times before it was removed at WDW. I also (finally) experience 7DMT on my last trip. I really enjoyed Mine Train but as mentioned way earlier, I don't think the rides are comparable. One thing that a CM mentioned to me when waiting to ride that I think is pretty cool...but don't know if it's true...is that the vultures on Mine Train are the same ones from SWSA.

Can anyone tell me if that's true? Did they use any other pieces from the original ride?

Dragonrider1227

I personally find it strange they didn't want two Snow White rides. Why not? Technically Disneyland has two Wonderland rides. (The dark ride and teacups) However, though I haven't ridden it yet, I like the presentation of 7 dwarves more. A big landscaping centerpiece of Fantasyland with modern technology is more fitting to the first full length animated film that began Disney as we know it than just another simple dark ride tucked to the side.

The Empress Lilly

I personally find it strange they didn't want two Snow White rides. Why not? Technically Disneyland has two Wonderland rides. (The dark ride and teacups) However, though I haven't ridden it yet, I like the presentation of 7 dwarves more. A big landscaping centerpiece of Fantasyland with modern technology is more fitting to the first full length animated film that began Disney as we know it than just another simple dark ride tucked to the side.
Even if that were true, every other park out there can and does have a big landscaping centerpiece with modern technology.

What sets Disney apart is sentiment, nostalgia, history. No other park could boast a half century old ride that you have seen in pictures of your grandparents when they were young. All based on an IP that is still relevant after eighty years.

This is what makes Disney a staple of American culture, a self-evident first choice. They destroy it with disregard at their peril.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It is obvious that Mine Train is superior to the classic dark ride, graphically by popularity. However, the long lines for this attraction make me wish that the original still existed.

I'm neutral about both of them, TBH. Either one could replace the other and they would still be the same to me. The only upside the dark ride had for me, was less of a wait time to get on.

EnergyKing

SWA (original) had a profound impact on me creatively. Mine Train is a travesty - nothing subversive, nothing thrilling, no narrative, no twist, just a bore through and through.

And yea, why couldn't there have been 2 Snow White rides? It IS the picture that made Disney. Yet somehow there are 2 Mermaid book report attractions in WDW...

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I disagree about Mine Train not having a story. I think the theming and storytelling in Mine Train are quite impressive. I do miss Scary Adventures, but it was just a dark ride. With Mine Train, we still have the elements of a dark ride, but also with a slightly thrilling factor thrown into the mix. I wish it was longer and I was disappointed with the length the first time I rode it. But, now that I've accepted how short it is, I've fallen in love with it. :)

Kate F

I'm kind of indifferent to both of them honestly. I do think that 7DMT is the stronger attraction overall, but I was disappointed when I rode it last summer. The landscaping is beautiful, and the theming and mine scene are top-notch as well, but otherwise it left a lot to be desired. I agree with those that say there needed to be a few more scenes, and aside from being short, it was also just a bit too tame for me, but I know that it wasn't meant to be super thrilling. Overall, it's a nice little addition to Fantasyland but I'm not in any rush to ride it again.

Having said that, I never cared that much about Scary Adventures either. I do think that it didn't need to be closed and replaced with a meet-n-greet, but I didn't think it was that great of a ride to begin with. I don't really have any fond memories of it either, so it doesn't hurt me too much that's it's gone.

Walt Disney1955

Both parks have replaced rides, Magic Kingdom has ripped out more of its original core than Disneyland has though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom