Say NO To Genie+ PETITION

Casper Gutman

All those saying your going to Universal as a result of this, I’m sure you’ll all be back in 18 months.

No matter what people say, it’s not as good of a product especially those families with younger kids.

Universal have always wanted to be Disney but they won’t
See, this is really, really wrong and is the sort of thinking that used to be overwhelming in the Disney fan community and is still widespread. It was often coupled with the “Uni is just the unthemed thrill seekers park.” It’s why I’m - perhaps unfairly - suspicious of the “Universal will never be magic to me” idea.

I switched from WDW to Uni over a decade ago. I replaced my multiple yearly trips to WDW with several weeks at Uni and MAYBE one or two days at WDW. And that wasn’t just because WDW lost me - Uni won me over. I began going to HHN shortly after IOA opened. A few years later, I began splitting my resort stays between Uni and WDW. Eventually I realized the product offered by Uni was so much more enjoyable - and cheaper - that going to crowded, understaffed, declining, vastly overpriced WDW was allowing my nostalgia for what Disney had been to be exploited.

So yeah, from personal experience, I think a lot of the things WDW says about Uni are old stereotypes - or defensiveness about what WDW is becoming. Uni may have wanted to be WDW 20 years ago - but they’re equals now.

SteveAZee

See, this is really, really wrong and is the sort of thinking that used to be overwhelming in the Disney fan community and is still widespread. It was often coupled with the “Uni is just the unthemed thrill seekers park.” It’s why I’m - perhaps unfairly - suspicious of the “Universal will never be magic to me” idea.

I switched from WDW to Uni over a decade ago. I replaced my multiple yearly trips to WDW with several weeks at Uni and MAYBE one or two days at WDW. And that wasn’t just because WDW lost me - Uni won me over. I began going to HHN shortly after IOA opened. A few years later, I began splitting my resort stays between Uni and WDW. Eventually I realized the product offered by Uni was so much more enjoyable - and cheaper - that going to crowded, understaffed, declining, vastly overpriced WDW was allowing my nostalgia for what Disney had been to be exploited.

So yeah, from personal experience, I think a lot of the things WDW says about Uni are old stereotypes - or defensiveness about what WDW is becoming. Uni may have wanted to be WDW 20 years ago - but they’re equals now.
If it helps, I can see that if you switched over 10 years ago that you now have some history and experience there and it's now taken root with you. That's great, especially since you find Uni cheaper and better.

For me, I'm 61 and really only get to Orlando every few years. Lifetime-wise, I don't really feel like investing my 6 or 7 future visits in a new place. I've been going to Disney since '73 so I've got an emotional investment there. In other thread I said that I would stop going if the lines and wait times were too unbearable for me... so if there's a way to go to WDW and not wait, I'll handle the extra price. I'm not deluded or addicted or a sucker... it's what I prefer until it's not possible to do it comfortably, then I'll figure out something else to do with my time.

Just one person's perspective, but I suspect there are others.

LittleBuford

If it helps, I can see that if you switched over 10 years ago that you now have some history and experience there and it's now taken root with you. That's great, especially since you find Uni cheaper and better.

For me, I'm 61 and really only get to Orlando every few years. Lifetime-wise, I don't really feel like investing my 6 or 7 future visits in a new place. I've been going to Disney since '73 so I've got an emotional investment there. In other thread I said that I would stop going if the lines and wait times were too unbearable for me... so if there's a way to go to WDW and not wait, I'll handle the extra price. I'm not deluded or addicted or a sucker... it's what I prefer until it's not possible to do it comfortably, then I'll figure out something else to do with my time.

Just one person's perspective, but I suspect there are others.
I’m not sure if this a factor for you, but one of the reasons I can’t successfully switch brands (so to speak) is that I’m not especially into theme parks as a general category. I’d like to go to Dollywood one day because I’m a huge fan of the lady herself, but other than that, I would never make a point of travelling any significant distance to a non-Disney theme park.

Tom P.

But in that whole reply, you are acting dismissive of anyone who disagrees, as if there's no way anyone could prefer what Disney produces or not like Universal.

I'm sorry, but Universal holds almost no appeal for me, save for the Harry Potter section. You couldn't pay me enough to attend HHN, but I love Halloween at Disney. Most of Universal's rides do not appeal to me. Even their hotels just seem "meh" to me, although I admit to never having stayed in one.

But the bottom line: I *like* Walt Disney World as it exists today. I do not think it is unreasonably priced for what you get. And I am still excited to go back, which we are doing in the Spring. It's fine if you don't like it anymore or if you like Universal better. But there are plenty of us who still love Disney, and not just for reasons of nostalgia.

SteveAZee

I’m not sure if this a factor for you, but one of the reasons I can’t successfully switch brands (so to speak) is that I’m not especially into theme parks as a general category. I’d like to go to Dollywood one day because I’m a huge fan of the lady herself, but other than that, I would never make a point of travelling any significant distance to a non-Disney theme park.
Ah, good point... also want to see the park that Dolly built for the same reason.

I think that the best way to explain my WDW interest (aside from the nostalgia) is that I'm fascinated by the whole process of this mega entertainment complex and how it functions. I remember reading "The Disney Version" in 1974, I think, which was a bit of a critique of Disney and Disneyland. Also Eisner's first book. I guess I'm fascinated by seeing how the sausage is made, so I go because I enjoy being a part of it first hand. I'm an engineer by education and training, so I like to understand how things work.

When I watch a Disney movie I see the storytelling process. When I experience an attraction or observe the use of color or forced perspective, it's all part of a big grand puzzle to understand.

I spent some time looking at the Universal Orlando promo videos to see what I was missing. Lots of thrill rides and decorations that seemed to have some general fuzzy idea of 'immersion'. LOL, I suppose I should go watch how WDW is promoting itself just to be fair, but I don't need to.. I've got nearly 50 years of experience with learning the craft of Disney. I'll go back in 2023 to see what Rise, Tron, MMRR, and a few other additions since 2019 have to offer and enjoy the oldies (Carrousel of Progress, which I rode at the NY World's Fair). If the place gets tarnished enough, through neglect, stagnation, or overcrowding... maybe I'll go see what see what Dolly has come up with.

Casper Gutman

Ah, good point... also want to see the park that Dolly built for the same reason.

I think that the best way to explain my WDW interest (aside from the nostalgia) is that I'm fascinated by the whole process of this mega entertainment complex and how it functions. I remember reading "The Disney Version" in 1974, I think, which was a bit of a critique of Disney and Disneyland. Also Eisner's first book. I guess I'm fascinated by seeing how the sausage is made, so I go because I enjoy being a part of it first hand. I'm an engineer by education and training, so I like to understand how things work.

When I watch a Disney movie I see the storytelling process. When I experience an attraction or observe the use of color or forced perspective, it's all part of a big grand puzzle to understand.

I spent some time looking at the Universal Orlando promo videos to see what I was missing. Lots of thrill rides and decorations that seemed to have some general fuzzy idea of 'immersion'. LOL, I suppose I should go watch how WDW is promoting itself just to be fair, but I don't need to.. I've got nearly 50 years of experience with learning the craft of Disney. I'll go back in 2023 to see what Rise, Tron, MMRR, and a few other additions since 2019 have to offer and enjoy the oldies (Carrousel of Progress, which I rode at the NY World's Fair). If the place gets tarnished enough, through neglect, stagnation, or overcrowding... maybe I'll go see what see what Dolly has come up with.
You should definitely check out Dollywood. It’s great, the best US park outside LA or Orlando and charming in a lot of ways the bigger parks aren’t. But to be fair, it really ISN’T comparable to Disney and IS largely thrill driven - but the Dolly charm is there.

Uni genuinely IS comparable to WDW in scale, artistry, technology, etc., and even if folks personally prefer the iconography of WDW, I hope they acknowledge this. I fully understand preferring to stick with Disney, so please take this not as an attack but simply as idle ramblings. That “immersion” thing really is something Uni innovated - the first Potter Land completely redefined the standards for hyper-detailed lands themed to a single property, and Disney has been chasing them ever since. It’s the moment when Disney lost their clear industry leadership role, though they remain the big dog. I enjoy looking at the corporate, engineering, and logistical history of theme parks (and the entertainment industry in general) as well, and Uni operates at the same high level and has just as long a history as Disney, so I’ve been able to maintain that focus as I shifted from one park to another.

Hope you enjoy your next trip to WDW! I’m hoping to get to Batuu soon myself.

SteveAZee

You should definitely check out Dollywood. It’s great, the best US park outside LA or Orlando and charming in a lot of ways the bigger parks aren’t. But to be fair, it really ISN’T comparable to Disney and IS largely thrill driven - but the Dolly charm is there.

Uni genuinely IS comparable to WDW in scale, artistry, technology, etc., and even if folks personally prefer the iconography of WDW, I hope they acknowledge this. I fully understand preferring to stick with Disney, so please take this not as an attack but simply as idle ramblings. That “immersion” thing really is something Uni innovated - the first Potter Land completely redefined the standards for hyper-detailed lands themed to a single property, and Disney has been chasing them ever since. It’s the moment when Disney lost their clear industry leadership role, though they remain the big dog. I enjoy looking at the corporate, engineering, and logistical history of theme parks (and the entertainment industry in general) as well, and Uni operates at the same high level and has just as long a history as Disney, so I’ve been able to maintain that focus as I shifted from one park to another.

Hope you enjoy your next trip to WDW! I’m hoping to get to Batuu soon myself.
Thanks for the balanced response and I'll definitely consider trying Uni at some point. My next trip is with my grown kids and I usually ask if anyone wants to venture over there while we're in Orlando (no takers in 2019). If any of them are interested, I'll tag along and see for myself. :)

DisneyHead123

Regarding the "will Uni ever be a serious competitor to Disney" - I work with kids and I notice that Universal seems to be much more popular among boys, and that parents with one son or all boys seem more likely to go to Universal. It just seems to have that bigger "cool factor" for elementary school aged boys, while for little girls Disney is still the be-all end-all. Very small sample size so maybe not representative, of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom