Say Good Bye to a live Tinker Bell!!

disneywy

djronnieb said:
i've only seen the video of the DL verision of their new 50th show. Tink flys all around the castle and even circles it and "bounces" off the castle. This is the coolest thing I've seen. But I don't see how she could be real and only flying on 1 wire. Because she changes heights, and also flys in a 360 circle around the castle.

The new Tink (who is definately a real person) is amazing and one of the best parts of the show (especially since she is flying aroudn the time Walt's dedication speech plays in the show).

It is actually more than one wire that is used. It looks like it is about 3 or 4, but not positive. There is a large rigging that she hangs from on those wires and then that rigging is what also moves her up and down I believe. After her first flight she "hangs out" (pun intended ;) ) off to the left of the castle before she returns towards the end of the show. She only travels on one plain, if that makes sense, always behind the castle, never actually around it. So she travels back and forth between the Matternhorn and a tower near Big Thunder and up and down as well.

TP2000

convrsboy said:
This Tinker is a combo of special rigging & LED lights which "flys" from side to side & 360 degrees around the castle. (They are wanting to use the same set up... if she is live or not?? Who knows for sure)!

Um, Tinkerbell at Disneyland is a real, live girl. I just watched the show tonight from my favorite viewing spot on Main Street. They use a real live girl for Tinkerbell at Disneyland, and her flight pattern is indeed a very impressive part of the best fireworks show I've ever seen at any Disney Park anywhere.

Yes, it is amazing that she flies all over the place, swooping and dipping in and around the spires and towers of Sleeping Beauty Castle. How do they do it exactly? I have no idea, as it seems impossible. But then as Walt said once on the Wonderful World of Color... "Anything is possible at Disneyland!".

PaisleyMF

Actually would be a mix between the skycam rig and the Peter Pan Rig. Because of the impresion of the height of and the path. Is so gourgeous, and so magical.

I loved it so much.

Disney Analyst

Okay I HATE to dredge up an old thread, but it was featured in a YouTube video that popped up on my page.

So it sounds like IAAPA this year, a company at the expo confirmed they did indeed test some sort of mechanical Tinker Bell. It sounds like it was some sort of figure similar to the Dragon.

Timestamped for you, and it does have video showing the testing from 2005 (according to Disney Dan):

(Also he's very... enthusiastic and loud, so lower your sound).

JoeCamel

Okay I HATE to dredge up an old thread, but it was featured in a YouTube video that popped up on my page.

So it sounds like IAAPA this year, a company at the expo confirmed they did indeed test some sort of mechanical Tinker Bell. It sounds like it was some sort of figure similar to the Dragon.

Timestamped for you, and it does have video showing the testing from 2005 (according to Disney Dan):

(Also he's very... enthusiastic and loud, so lower your sound).

If ever there was an effect calling for drones......

Bocabear

They did a drone-based Tinkerbell back in the 90s as part of the ill-fated Light Magic Spectacular... the drone did not make it through previews before it was cut after crashing one night...or so the story goes from a friend that was with TDA at the time. I would lover to see video of the tests, because up until the crash, he said it was amazing.

ToTBellHop

Tink died 17 years ago?!?! How am I just now learning this?!?!

Who said they don't believe in fairies?! ANSWER ME!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111

Visual search query image

Thelazer

There was a test at WDW, were tinker-bell flew "UP" from the ground to the castle and then back down.
Rumor was, they just didn't want to automate something, the value of a "real" tinker-bell is just to much.
No matter how much "she" makes each night, it's worth paying so the kids get that smile.

jrhwdw

They did a drone-based Tinkerbell back in the 90s as part of the ill-fated Light Magic Spectacular... the drone did not make it through previews before it was cut after crashing one night...or so the story goes from a friend that was with TDA at the time. I would lover to see video of the tests, because up until the crash, he said it was amazing.
Didn't know that about Light Magic. However 3 years later, when Believe, Magic In The Stars came to DL, what was used in the beginning? A drone? A little Light? Tink flew in the Finale.

Disney Analyst

Didn't know that about Light Magic. However 3 years later, when Believe, Magic In The Stars came to DL, what was used in the beginning? A drone? A little Light? Tink flew in the Finale.

It was two poles on either side of the castle that raised up, and then a wire between, that they then had that light fly around on. Kind of like how Tink flies now at Disneyland, but in a much simpler basic way.

My understanding is they reused those poles for Remember... Dreams Come True, which became the GIANT pinwheel spinners in the Fantasyland segment.

Timestamped:

JohnD

And this thread got bumped from 2005 because....? All I know is this: Tink is part of HEA when that show returns next year.

Disney Analyst

And this thread got bumped from 2005 because....? All I know is this: Tink is part of HEA when that show returns next year.

Because if you watch the video I shared, there is footage of them testing the Tinker Bell that was presumably being discussed in 2005.

Comped

I've seen preview footage. It certainly was amazing, and would have been a game changer in a lot of ways - the tech wasn't there though, drone-wise back then. Was cut due to technical issues, and possibly legal having a bit of a fit.
Was tested before at Disneyland. Lawyers shut it down because it involved flying over crowds.
That was another issue. The potential of a crash injuring guests, and ruining the magic at the same time...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom