Saving place at the pool

mbtohill

Original Poster
Interesting incident during my recent stay at Poly.

Went to the pool around 10:00am and as expected all the available shade spots were taken, including 2 tables with an umbrellas that an elderly couple were "saving for their family". I assume they got there at 9am when the pool opened.

At about 10:30 another woman with a young child approached the elderly couple and asked if she could use one of the tables and was immediately rebuffed. The elderly couple held the table until NOON, 3 hours after the pool opened and their "family" consisted of 3 other adults! So two tables with umbrellas for 5 adults on a sweltering hot sunny day! Not cool in my opinion

The woman who lodged the original complaint went to several lifeguards/pool manager types with no resolution (not that I expected them to do anything) .

I guess my question is how long is too long to "save a spot"? Should lifeguards or pool CM's be able to force people to relinquish tables or chairs after a certain amount time?

mbtohill

Original Poster
For two people to hold two tables? One minute is too long. If the CMs don't want to get involved I'd just sit at the 2nd table.

Totally agree and it almost got ugly between the two groups. But the woman with the young child eventually gave up and sat in the sun.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Two points to add to this -
1) At AKL we actually saw life guards removing towels from unoccupied loungers (this was not at pool closing time either).
2) A notice seen by the towel distribution area at AKL asking for consideration towards other guests by not reserving loungers using Disney or your own towels.

Squigglove

This was the case at every single pool area/water park we entered. EVERY chair was "reserved" with a ton of towels or other items. It's interesting because it's the same at a local park we frequent - yet you never see an entire family lined up in a set of chairs - when they are done being in the water they collect their towels and stand in a huddle until they leave completely.
We've become "the type" that just walk up to where we want to sit and move stuff off of one or two chairs to put our own stuff. My mom usually takes to a shady spot while the baby and I go in the water. When we get out of the water we only need one extra chair. Why can't other people be as considerate?

Tuvalu

We were at the Poly last week. I witnessed 3 different women "claiming" tables with umbrellas at 7:30 a.m. ~ an hour and a half before the pool opened!

On my way back from Capt. Cooks 15 minutes later, one of those women called out to me from her patio and began grumbling that the lifeguards "kicked them out" of the pool area and how that was unfair! :confused:

Later that day, we overheard lifeguards telling guests that unless there were personal items on a table or chair, they were free to remove any towels and use them.

We were truly amazed at the sense of entitlement some people have at a pool with no regard for others.

Squigglove

You won't be holidaying at any of the Spanish resorts then ??
Its a war zone down there, there are more tactical moves to grab a sun lounger down by the pool pre sun rise than your average NFL team will use in a season ;)

Excellent information! Dually noted.
We almost stayed at the Caribbean.

Squigglove

FYI - I'm actually referring to Spain (the country) and its resort areas and islands, rather than anywhere that is Spanish themed around Disney ;)

Oh, thank you for the clarity!
That makes sense too. It's about the same here inner city. But to stay on topic I'll comment no further.

zurgandfriend

Not at a pool but something similar happened to me during our recent trip. I was in the lobby of the GF waiting for DW & DS. I went to sit in a “comfy chair” when a women said, “my husband is sitting there, he just ran to the men’s room but he will be right back.” Now for the record I was walking with a cane and had a brace on my knee but I said “sorry” and as all the other chairs were taken I went and sort of sat on the edge of a planter for 20 minutes. Her husband never came back while I was there, that must have been one heck of a bathroom visit.

DManRightHere

As for the original post, I wouldn't really care. Yes, it is odd, but I wouldn't care.

As cor etiquette, I don't like any of this conversation.

We don't spend money on lockers and usually just leave our things on one chair. 2 towels, coverings, and shoes.

I guess we're terrible people.

Jon81uk

One person saving one chair feels OK. So if I am swimming, with my towel on a lounger, my hubby on the next lounger can make sure mine stays reserved. But one person saving three or more is wrong.

JIMINYCR

Not at a pool but something similar happened to me during our recent trip. I was in the lobby of the GF waiting for DW & DS. I went to sit in a “comfy chair” when a women said, “my husband is sitting there, he just ran to the men’s room but he will be right back.” Now for the record I was walking with a cane and had a brace on my knee but I said “sorry” and as all the other chairs were taken I went and sort of sat on the edge of a planter for 20 minutes. Her husband never came back while I was there, that must have been one heck of a bathroom visit.
I would have sat down and said.... "Well I'll just sit here until he comes back".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom