Save a Illinois Disney Store petition online. :)

yoda_5729

Original Poster
There is an online petition to save the local Disney Store in our area. It's the only Disney Store nearby and does a very good business, if anyone is interested in signing the online petition, please feel free all that is required is name, e-mail and that's it. You can post a message to and choose to be anonymous. I thought everyone on here would care, as when traveling it's always nice to have Disney Stores, and this one is successful. I think the petition is more aimed at the mall and not Disney. The site asks for money but you do not need to do that, as that's more for the site and not for the cause, but thought everyone might want to know. :)

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/DISNEYSTORECHERRYVALE/index.html

Thank you ahead of time for anyone who adds their name :)

elizs77

Good luck, but I think this is actually something already approved by the courts. Our local store is closing, too.

Elonwy

i wish you the best on this but I'm sad to say I don't know if it will work. I just visited a Disney Store that is closing and they were actually selling all their store fixtures off as well so they're really clearing the place out for good.

But if you want a 4 foot tall ceramic Alice in Wonderland with movable, blinking Cheshire cat have I got a deal for you!!! :drevil:

(I AM kidding...I didn't buy it...my boyfriend didn't think it would look good in our apartment for some reason) :)

Elonwy

Just FYI...my understanding of the situation is that Hoop Retail Stores (a subsidiary of The Children's Place) has been running all of the North American Disney Stores since 2004. They declared bankruptcy in March of this year and as a result will be closing some stores.

I have heard mixed numbers on how many stores will be closing...around 200 as far as I can tell

That's why I don't think the petition will help...it's not the mall...the store has filed for Chapter 11 and I see no other option unless the Disney Stores are bought by another company. They would have to be completely revamped though since I don't think they have shown a profit in a few years now.

fizzle75

Wasn't it announced recently that Disney are resuming control of The Disney Store and are closing about half of the existing stores and refurbing the rest? :shrug:

The closest Disney Store to us was in Asheville, NC which is about 60 miles away from us but it was closed several years ago.:cry: The next closest Disney Store to us is in Sevierville, TN which is about 100 miles away from us. We were at the Sevierville store back in February and was pleasantly surprised to find that it had very recently been totally refurbed.

We do alot of shopping online at www.disneyshopping.com ,which carries all of the Disney Store merchandise. We really like alot of The Disney Store's merchandise, and they have some great sales occasionally, but the quality of the merchandise seems to really be slipping as of late. I'm hoping that Disney's partnership with Hanes will mean a renewed emphasis on the quality of not only the park merchandise but The Disney Store's merchandise as well.

Elonwy

True...Disney is taking the stores back, that's because of the bankruptcy by the Children's Place (i'm sure they're getting a good deal). They still have to close 200 of them though. Apparently the stores haven't turned a profit 3 out of the last 4 quarters so hopefully the refurb will help.

Personally of the few Disney stores I have been in I would like to see more adult apparel. I'm not sure if all stores are like this but I find the only adult apparel is one Mickey shirt, one Tinkerbell shirt and a Winnie the Pooh housecoat and that's about it.

I would also love if they had more housewares since I don't recall there ever being a selection in the 3 or 4 stores I have been in.

fizzle75

True...Disney is taking the stores back, that's because of the bankruptcy by the Children's Place (i'm sure they're getting a good deal). They still have to close 200 of them though. Apparently the stores haven't turned a profit 3 out of the last 4 quarters so hopefully the refurb will help.

Personally of the few Disney stores I have been in I would like to see more adult apparel. I'm not sure if all stores are like this but I find the only adult apparel is one Mickey shirt, one Tinkerbell shirt and a Winnie the Pooh housecoat and that's about it.

I would also love if they had more housewares since I don't recall there ever being a selection in the 3 or 4 stores I have been in.

Yeah, the physical stores definitely seem to focus more on children's merchandise but if you visit the online store I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the rather large selection of adult clothing.

www.disneyshopping.com

yoda_5729

Original Poster
This petition was made by someone other then me...and was even announced on the local news networks. According to the person who made it, our Disney store was one of the most successful in the area, ranking 42 over all. It says that Disney DID want to continue, but the mall raised the lease and Disney didn't go for that, and that's the reason ours is closing.

That's my understanding at least

I keep me fingers crossed...and even if you don't live in the area, feel free to sign it, as even tourists or visitors help. Again no fee is needed.

This is exactly what is posted there at the petition

"The Disney Store at Cherryvale Mall in Rockford, IL is closing. The Children’s Place owned the Disney Stores and had to file bankruptcy. Disney purchased the stores back from The Children’s Place and made the decision to close nearly a third of their under performing stores.

The Disney Store at Cherryvale was NOT one of the stores under performing, quite the contrary. Our guests are loyal to their relationship with Disney, making Disney apart of their lives on a weekly basis if not more. Yet they were chosen to close. Disney Corporation decided that they could not afford to keep the higher lease and made the decision to close the Cherryvale location. Even though the Rockford Disney Store is one of the top performing stores in the region, ranking 42 out of over 300 hundred stores, Disney had no choice but to close the store for economic reasons.

Many stores are closing at Cherryvale Mall and we need to encourage them in trying to save these quality stores that target families and wholesome values. We need to send a message to the Mall and Disney to let them know we want – THE DISNEY STORE to stay in Rockford. If renegotiating a lease is not an option lets express to Disney to consider another location in our Rockford area. We need a family oriented, kid friendly, financially successful and huge customer draw for our community. "

Unplugged

Unfortunately, petitions don't turn a profit. Even a busy store has a variety of issues to contend with such as rent, remodel contracts (typical requirements in a mall contract), over all sales figures, employee costs, etc. Since Disney is taking over the stores, they need to "get back to the basics" to get the numbers back to where they should have been all along. This means new designs, new products, an overall better shopping experience, etc. The Disney Stores saturated the market in some areas, as many stores already carry so much inventory of licensed Disney products. Store closure gives them the opportunity to trim the fat and reanalyze an area. Keep in mind that when a store closes to remodel in a mall, it's not much different than closing the store and opening a new one months later. Obviously, after the Mouse reinvents the store, it's possible they may re-expand into once occupied regions.

Petitions are nice in that they show a valiant effort of real fans and reinforce to the Mouse why Disney made the right choice in re-purchasing their retail chain. They can plus the branding and bring it back to it's former brilliance. Unfortunately, the deals are done, the numbers are crunched, and other than showing support, the petition is a waste of time. In this case, it's not art, it's not a public service, it's just business by the books.

Maerj

All of the Disney Stores are closing in my area as well. Perhaps Disney is rethinking their plan. Maybe all Disney stores will be closing as we know them. I think that the new Disney stores may be modeled after the World of Disney stores at WDW and NYC but there will be fewer of them.

I've also noticed more 2 new Disney outlet stores that just recently opened in the central Pennsylvania area. Maybe thats the way they are going to go?

rickarenu91

Sad to say.......but there are several Disney stores closing in St. Louis as well......the closest one to me that will remain open is about 5 hours away. I always enjoyed going to the Disney store to get my "fix" just to look at all the fun Disney characters they have. I have bought my fair share of Disney things that are discounted.....every time I go back they have different things out on the shelves........dangerous:eek: I did ask if they were selling the Disney characters, but they said NO, they will be sent back to "Disney", also, they don't have any movies for sale........those were shipped back immediately along with Disney Dollars. The only fixtures they have for sale are the shelving units, and cash register desk........nothing that has "Disney" on it.

Now, my question........since I can't go to a Disney store to get my Disney Dollars........where can I get them before my trip? The last time we went I got Disney Dollars for the kids to have before we left, we had a Disney dinner, I used all recipes from different restaurants and then I put together surpise boxes for each of the kids with misc. Disney things for them along with Disney Dollars to spend.......now where do I go to get them? I also hate that the next time we go and I put together a special box, I just can't go shop for different things.......now I might have to order and pay shipping. At least maybe I can plan ahead and shop at the store 5 hours away.

DivineMadness7

I've also noticed more 2 new Disney outlet stores that just recently opened in the central Pennsylvania area. Maybe thats the way they are going to go?

Where at? I tried a google search but didn't find anything. I'm more West/Central so probably not by me, but I must know!

I feel bad for everyone who has a lack of disney stores near them. I have 8 or 9 disney stores within 30 miles of my house here in jersey not including the big world of disney store in new york city. I must say, however, that almost every one of these i have been to lacks a large supply of adult disney clothing so your not missing much if thats what your looking for.... the online store is awesome though, so shop on everyone!

JustPlainBill

I used to work not too far from where the Cherryvale (Rockford, IL) store is located, I'm now working somewhere else and there's a Disney store about 2 minutes away at Spring Hill mall, East Dundee/Carpentersville, IL). I don't know if this store is closing or not, but I was just in there last week exchanging my kids birthday money for Disney dollars for our trip to WDW this summer. The place was dead, it always seems to be whenever I shop there. There's another store at Woodfield mall about 20 minutes or so from the Springhill location closer to Chicago, at least there was, I haven't been to that one in a while.

grunter

How many bath towels or sand pails or twirly, light-up tchotchkes does any one individual need?

Most of those stores seriously need to close.

WhatJaneSays

I can not figure out the reason some stores are closing, they seem to be the really busy ones.

The Vero Beach store is always packed with locals and tourists alike! People staying at the Vero Beach DVC are always at that Disney Store because the shop at the Resort is so small. Our Disney Store is only about a 15-minute drive to the mall from the DVC. They've been at that location 10 years now and the next closest store to us is literaly by WDW itself.

Ah, well at least I'm getting some good deals out of it, but I'd really rather keep my store (and the staff I love that has been there for so long) where it is.

This store turns a regularly large profit. One of the ladies that works there thinks that this store might be relocated and combined with the DVC, which sort of makes sence because there would be less operating costs.

Cynderella

Where at? I tried a google search but didn't find anything. I'm more West/Central so probably not by me, but I must know!

Im on the eastern side of PA and I know we are supposed to be getting a Disney Outlet here in Limerick in the Philadelphia Premium outlets. Not sure when it opens tho - it was supposed to be sometime this spring. The only 2 Disney stores around here that I know of are King of Prussia and Exton. I hope they dont close either of them!!

Edit: I just checked on the outlet website and the Disney Outlet is no longer listed as being a store there!! I know it used to be on there before because I was so excited. Oh what a sad sad day. :cry:

Cynderella

How many bath towels or sand pails or twirly, light-up tchotchkes does any one individual need?

Most of those stores seriously need to close.

NO they do not. For alot of people that may be the only place to get their Disney fix before their next trip. Especially for those who have to wait a year or more between trips. Any true Disney fan would never say that they "need" to close them down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom