Saratoga Springs or Old Key West

Missin_Disney

Guys

We are a family of 4, me DW, DD (4) and DS (2), travelling to the world 2012.

Which should we choose SS or OKW

Can you guys give us the good and the bad and even the ugly lol

Will probably be having a 2 bed villa.

Thanks in advance

Mammymouse

We are DVC, have stayed in both and had good experiences in both. Old Key West has the tropical landscaping and obviously the Key West styling in the buildings. The only thing is there are no elevators to the second and third floors so you will need to carry your stuff up the stairs if you are not on the first floor. They were the first DVC so the rooms may be a little larger and detailed, but the rooms at Saratoga are certainly adequate and stunning, and they do have elevators. Saratoga is a very different look than Old Key West because it is modeled after up state New York with the horse racing decor. Both resorts are very large but Saratoga appears larger because the buildings are more out in the open, even though the landscaping is definitely mature now. But it is just a different feel than Old Key West. We come from RI so my family would prefer to stay at Old Key West in a heart beat because it doesn't look like home to us as Saratoga does, we like the tropical feel. Our overall favorite is Boardwalk though, because it is so close to Epcot and other things within walking distance. Saratoga is very close to Downtown Disney (which we rarely visit) and it it is a little noisy at night, although Pleasure Island is not open anymore, but who knows what will be there in 2012. So I guess it is up to what type of atmosphere you like. There are good restaurants, pools and playgrounds at both, although Saratoga has a new pool under construction right now (sort of) that I'm sure will be really nice - zero entry, etc. Saratoga and Old Key West are next door to each other so getting to the parks is about equal. And Saratoga has the remodeled tree house units in the woods open now that you might want to check into.

Hope I gave you some info that helps.:wave:

Upvote 0

kimrn87

I recently stayed at both 2 bedroom villas at each resort. Personally I like them both. Advantage at Saratoga is elevator access. Forutnately I had a group of teens to carry luggage at Old Key West. Both have bus and boat transportation. We usually drive so We don't depend too much on the transportation but we were fortunate and were close to bus stops at both places. I would have to rate both about the same. Saratoga is newer but the layouts and amount of room is about the same except our balcony was bigger at Old Key West I think it was quieter for some reason. When we stayed at Saratoga I could hear the neighbors every morning having coffee on the balcony when I was trying to sleep :) I think the view of Downtown Disney is kind of neat and it is real close to get too. you can even walk (it's was a hike because we were a ways off) Either way I think you will enjoy!!!

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Guys

We are a family of 4, me DW, DD (4) and DS (2), travelling to the world 2012.

Which should we choose SS or OKW

Can you guys give us the good and the bad and even the ugly lol

Will probably be having a 2 bed villa.

Thanks in advance

You hoping for the 50% discount plus free dining???

Upvote 0

darthokeefe

For my money Saratoga Springs....I feel it gets a bad rap.The Grandstand area has Access to two feature pools is the first bus stop(always have a seat in Am and First off in PM) (BTW...Bus service at saratoga Springs is awesome with the new dispatchers there in the AM) Ask for a room near the pool in the Grandstand area.

The grounds and rooms are beautiful and in my opinion the two bedroom is the best on property (have not seen BLT yet). Only complaint about SSR is food court can get overwlmed but they are fixing that by building another Feature pool and food court in the carosuel section.

OKW is nice but def. feels OLDER and has no real non sit down dining option and smaller pools. Plus if you get a third floor room youve got extra huffing to do after walking 15 miles at the parks.

Upvote 0

Missin_Disney

Original Poster
Thanks for all your help guys.

CRUSH DUDE - any discount we can get is a bonus but def free dining, we'd love to stay at one of the villa at AKL or BW but from what ive seen it would just be too expensive unless anybody can tell me otherwise.

I might get in touch with Kingdom Consultants a little nearer the time to see what they can tell me discountwise.

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Thanks for all your help guys.

CRUSH DUDE - any discount we can get is a bonus but def free dining, we'd love to stay at one of the villa at AKL or BW but from what ive seen it would just be too expensive unless anybody can tell me otherwise.

I might get in touch with Kingdom Consultants a little nearer the time to see what they can tell me discountwise.

Hve you tried wdw uk???

Upvote 0

PixyDust

I've stayed at both several times, and love both of them, however I am partial to OKW. I love the extra room. I love the theme. I love the bigger bathtub.

The only con for me at OKW is that the two times we tried to eat there, service was HORRID. Just terrible. One waiter actually dropped our bacon before getting to our table, didn't think we saw it, and put it back on our plate.

Since I prefer to eat in themed restaurants while at WDW, its not a big deal that there's no restaurant for me at OKW, and it gets my vote. :wave:

Upvote 0

Missin_Disney

Original Poster
Hve you tried wdw uk???

Have looked on the website for Aug / Sept next year which is when we hope to go in 2012, there are offers of free dining which is great but nothing for any of the villas only hotels.

And seeing as our children will be 6 and 3 we thought the added room of a villa would be easier for everybody.

How do yo book through the US website?

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Have looked on the website for Aug / Sept next year which is when we hope to go in 2012, there are offers of free dining which is great but nothing for any of the villas only hotels.

And seeing as our children will be 6 and 3 we thought the added room of a villa would be easier for everybody.

How do yo book through the US website?

If you check wdw uk for 2 weeks from august 6th it will show both with free dining and a 45% resort discount:wave:

Expect the same offer for the following year :wave:

Upvote 0

dizzney

Being DVC, our preference is BWV or BLT both of which we own in, but we have stayed in all of the accomodation sin WDW for DVC. If you ask my hsuband and I, we would prefer OKW over SSR as its more relaxed, bigger rooms - full size washer and dryer in a laundry room (no clost like every otehr one or two bedroom), tropical decor and it is undergoing renovation right now. If you ask our kids (and told them they couildnt stay at BWV or BLT - They are currently 19 and twins are 11) they would opt for SSR as its clsoe to DTD and they could walk there to enjoy the activites there.

Your children are younger and you might really appreciate the extra room at OKW, and they wouldnt have the other resort to compare it too like mine do.

As for buses, we never had an issue at either,

Wtih regard to food, SSR does have the upper hand since you can walk to DTD and eat at the restaurants there, but on the other hand, you can take the boat from OKW to DTD and enjoy the restaurants, just takes a bit more time.

Bottom line for your family OKW in my opinion would be the best bet IF you dont opt for BWV or BC whichare reight at the back door of Epcot and then its location, location, location!

Upvote 0

Brommy

Have stayed at OKW for two weeks the past 2 Septembers and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else at the moment (that is with the excellent offers available to UK guests).

Going to be booking up for May 2011 at OKW in the next few days.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

The resorts are very similar in most ways. One of the key differances is food. There really are limited counter food items at OKW. You have Goods to Go which is a small counter service location by the pool with no real indoor seating. Then the Turtle Shack which is basically closed. Olivia's is a table service restaurant that is far from my list of repeats places to eat.
Now SSR has the Artist's Palette which is a counter service restaurant that gets extremely busy during morning hours, but has nice choices for breakfast. They also serve lunch and dinner and have a large indoor seating area. Then there is the Turf Club Bar & Grill which is a table service restaurant. Also Downtown Disney is a short walk away from SSR and then you have all kinds of food options.
Staying at SSR also helps if you dine at another resort in the evening. Instead of having to take a bus to one of the parks and connecting to SSR, you can simply take a bus from the resort you're dining at to DTD and walk to SSR. This is a big plus for us. When doing this we would do so some shopping in the evening and maybe have a few cocktails and stroll back over to SSR. As long as it is not raining of course.

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

Have stayed at OKW for two weeks the past 2 Septembers and wouldn't consider staying anywhere else at the moment (that is with the excellent offers available to UK guests).

Going to be booking up for May 2011 at OKW in the next few days.

The discount plus free dining is not available for May is it??

Upvote 0

Missin_Disney

Original Poster
The discount plus free dining is not available for May is it??

I dont think so, but i did have a look at the 6th of August next year, if thats available for 2012 we might have some of that!!!

The only thing that would put me off would be the heat for our little ones and possible the crowd levels........any idea how busy it would be?

Sounds like both are similar and are down to each persons individual preference but its a better option that AKL villas as that was £4200 for a studio without tickets!!

Upvote 0

Crush Dude!

I dont think so, but i did have a look at the 6th of August next year, if thats available for 2012 we might have some of that!!!

The only thing that would put me off would be the heat for our little ones and possible the crowd levels........any idea how busy it would be?

Sounds like both are similar and are down to each persons individual preference but its a better option that AKL villas as that was £4200 for a studio without tickets!!

Honestly go with Old Key West, it is a beautiful resort and just request a building near the restaurant/main pool! We got building 64 this year and it was perfect :wave:

We love the hat and if you use fastpass the crowds are grand, we dont mind either :wave:

Upvote 0

epcotWSC

I've only gone to OKW. It's less expensive, the rooms are bigger, and it's an all around nice resort. I don't think it'd be my #1 choice for all WDW resorts, but between those two from what I've heard from people who've gone to both, definitely OKW.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom