News Santa Falls On Parade Float

Emmanuel

I still love the parade but agree, time for some new blood. Apparently Santa will continue to appear in the parade as you would expect, albeit riding on something else until the old float is repaired.

Yep. He's been temporarily relocated to the Mailroom float until his sleigh can be fixed.

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 6.23.00 PM.png

Old Mouseketeer

Try telling that to WDW, who still regularly trots out the old mirror castle float that was originally built for MK's Tencennial parade way back in 1981. Many of the other smaller floats in the parade (princess gazebo, music box, wrapped gifts, etc.) appear to be a similar vintage. And this is for a parade that's performed exclusively at the upcharge parties and during Christmas week (when the park is too busy to shut down early for the party). Their Halloween parade is similarly littered with old floats from the Vacation Kingdom era.
christmas-parade-magic-kingdom-florida-orlando-65986768.jpg

Sadly for Anaheim, the Santa float is actually one of the newer ones in that parade. [Edit: Although "A Christmas Fantasy" parade debuted in 1994, most of the major elements were redressed versions of things that had already been in the park for years.] I believe only the toy factory is newer (debuting circa 2007-08), though several have had overhauls, like the conversion of Mickey & Minnie's ice rink into the Frozen float. At least they don't have the gall to charge extra (yet) for the privilege of watching the parade creak its way through the park

Actually, I think the Mirrored Castle is more than a year older from Disneyland's 25th birthday. "One big happy family...."

Old Mouseketeer

Kudos to Santa for not breaking character at all during this whole ordeal. He should get some recognition for that. It's also a good thing they use those harnesses, or else this could have been deadly.

I have a feeling that this incident will be the push that Disneyland needs to create a new Christmas parade in 2019.

I have a lot of friends in Disneyland Entertainment, including Parades, and I had no idea they had emergency egress built into the floats. Makes sense, but I didn't know it existed.

jrhwdw

Either TDL's Christmas Stories Parade is very popular(which wouldn't shock me, I love it too!!) or TDL is getting to be a little like the US, Christmas Stories is in its 4th year and I think its coming back next year!

As for ACF, Thank God it wasn't any worse!!!!!!!!!! How long do we think it will take to fix his sleigh? IDK why DL felt it had to take out the finale dancers and reindeer just because of the float!

Didn't see anything on Twitter but any changes to MOUACT because of this?

Last edited:

jrhwdw

I doubt the sleigh will be back in time for Christmas. Judging by the dragon incident in Florida, there will be at least a bit of downtime for repairs, plus safety improvements to prevent it from happening again. Also, most likely an investigation will happen to figure out what exactly caused this. With Christmas Eve in one week, I doubt Disney would have time to get it up and running again this holiday season. They'll probably just cut it for the rest of Christmas time and if it ever returns, it probably won't be until November 2019.
I HOPE that the Finale Dancers and Reindeer aren't cut the rest of the season!

JediMasterMatt

Egg nog doesn't melt steel sleigh runners. Wake up sheeple! This was clearly an inside job.

Nightmare inducing real world Bing Bong's revenge is a dish best served with milk and cookies.

Ismael Flores

I'm just curious, did something actually break on the float due to age or did a latch just come loose?

Looking at the videos online it seems like the top section of the float that holds the seating area and gift bag tilted forward almost as if that compartment is made to open up for service. Could it have been that it wasn't fully latch properly

BubbaQuest

I'm just curious, did something actually break on the float due to age or did a latch just come loose?

Looking at the videos online it seems like the top section of the float that holds the seating area and gift bag tilted forward almost as if that compartment is made to open up for service. Could it have been that it wasn't fully latch properly

I was wondering the same thing. It looked like the top section is supposed to lift up like that, maybe to access the drivetrain below? Or did something break causing the top tier to crash down up front?

Does anyone still sit down there and manually drive or is it all sensor/remote now?

VJ

WDW has long been the worst offender in the using floats for too long department. Sad that DLR is trying to catch up.
Some of the Very Merry Christmas Parade floats were used from the 60s all the way to the parade's retirement in the early 90s (the one I can think of off the top of my head is the Mary Poppins rooftop float) and then a select few made their way to Christmas Fantasy. While you're right that the majority of the floats need a refresh, I'm not sure the entire parade needs to be replaced.

GiveMeTheMusic

Some of the Very Merry Christmas Parade floats were used from the 60s all the way to the parade's retirement in the early 90s (the one I can think of off the top of my head is the Mary Poppins rooftop float) and then a select few made their way to Christmas Fantasy. While you're right that the majority of the floats need a refresh, I'm not sure the entire parade needs to be replaced.

I am. It's really lackluster by modern Disney parade standards. Imagine a new Christmas parade in the vein of Dreaming Up...whew

VJ

I am. It's really lackluster by modern Disney parade standards. Imagine a new Christmas parade in the vein of Dreaming Up...whew
Judging by modern standards? Can't wait for the Frozen parade (featuring Santa). ;)

Seriously though, I'm just afraid that a new parade would be indistinguishable from all the other nearly-exact-from-each-other Christmas parades running at the other resorts. A Tokyo budget would be great, but Disney's batting average as of late doesn't have me holding my breath, sadly. I hope I'm wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom