1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

San Angel Inn or somewhere else?

Discussion in 'WDW Restaurants and Dining' started by mdubm, Apr 23, 2017.

?

Epcot dinner?

Poll closed May 7, 2017.
  1. San Angel Inn

16 vote(s)
    61.5%
  2. Somewhere else

8 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Save the credit for another day

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. larandtra

larandtra Well-Known Member

Atmosphere is great, but, if you want more authentic Mexican food, La Hacienda is heads and tails better than San Angel.

2. Dave Ber

Dave Ber Active Member

I think San Angel is something you have to do at least once, food was pretty good, atmosphere is the best

Make sure you ask to sit near the river, the kids will love it

3. danyoung56

danyoung56 Well-Known Member

I do agree that La Hacienda is the better meal, but San Angel Inn has the better atmosphere. San Angel Inn used to be pretty lame, but they went through a big menu shift a few years ago, and have since been much better. Even their tortilla chips used to be off the shelf Tostitos with a watery sauce. Now they're fresh baked crispy triangles and TWO different sauces, either of which is far tastier than before. And there's just something special about dining in the "moonlight" and watching the boats slowly sailing by.

DfromATX and Dave Ber like this.
  4. Amos1784

Amos1784 Member

We always have a good time and experience but I think partly because of the reason we LOVE the mexico pavilion. I do not think the cuisine offers anything out of the ordinary. Just a heads up this restaurant is typically very quiet and also very dark, some kids could probably handle it fine others might not. My suggestion would be to go to Via Napoli instead, I think its anything but "just pizza" and we have always had a wonderful experience.

5. DfromATX

DfromATX Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm in Texas and curious about your statement. We want to try it on our next trip. How is it different than what you're used to? Do you mean it's not Tex-Mex or different than our Mexican food altogether?

6. Miceberg

Miceberg Well-Known Member

It seems they've changed their menus fairly recently. We had dinner there last May and it was fantastic. Last month the menu was different (much pricier for smaller portions) and the food was so-so. The salsa was nothing more than tomato sauce and a little chili, pretty gross. We're no strangers to good Mexican food, living in the Los Angeles area and this wasn't good. If they keep the current menu, we won't be back.

mainedisfan likes this.
  7. Dana223

Dana223 Member

I ate at San Angel Inn on August 19th and was one of the people complaining that pollo a las rajas was taken off the menu! While I was there they told me 3 other tables also complained. The manager said they changed the menu a week earlier and took it off. He said that hopefully if enough people complain they will bring it back. I ended up getting the chicken tacos (I substituted chicken for the steak tacos on the menu). They were good but not what I was expecting. If I had known they changed the menu I probably would have tried a different restaurant in the World Showcase.

mainedisfan and Miceberg like this.
  8. networkpro

networkpro Well-Known Member

It's bland and uninspired. Some of the new entrées look interesting though. The tables are small and uneven so they will rock if you're not careful.

9. DfromATX

Oh that's too bad... I was just looking at their menu. It looks pretty good. I think the food choices sound better than at La Hacienda.

10. networkpro

networkpro Well-Known Member

We are stuck in a run at La Hacienda, it's always the Del Mar for us.

11. DfromATX

I saw that. I like scallops...

12. Miceberg

Miceberg Well-Known Member

I was there on 8/19 too - and was more than likely one of the other tables complaining about the pollo a las rajas missing from the menu! Had the pork tacos which were good, but not worth the price, they came out to over 7 bucks per taco with no sides. Felt like I was robbed for street tacos.

mainedisfan likes this.
  13. BuddyThomas

BuddyThomas Well-Known Member

I feel like it is pretty standard Mexican fare, designed for sensitive taste buds (nothing too spicy or adventurous). That said, the atmosphere is really, really wonderful and it's worth overpaying for tacos and fairly weak margaritas just to be there for a little while.

FYI - here are reviews from Yelp - Three and a half out of five stars: https://www.yelp.com/biz/san-angel-inn-orlando-3

DfromATX likes this.
  14. Deranged Hermit

Deranged Hermit Member

Went there for the first time last year. It was my second favorite restaurant of the trip and my wife and kids favorite. Highly recommended.
    As an aside, we liked the red salsa as opposed the tomatillo (green) salsa.

15. DfromATX

What was your most favorite?