Sad sad news redux

Orangebird914

Original Poster
Hello everyone, I am Nemo14's son David. I am so sorry to inform you all that my mother passed away just after 11 o'clock this morning, November 5th. As she had shared with you, after a wonderful summer, Mom started to experience some of the same symptoms she did just prior to her diagnosis last year. Unfortunately, her cancer had returned and she was given a less-than-optimistic prognosis. Nevertheless, she steeled herself for another round of chemo and other therapeutic regimens, and did not for one second give up hope. My dear sister made the trek home in early October to visit with her family, and had a wonderful time as Mom had the opportunity to see her granddaughters and all the joy they brought with them. My family and I arrived on Halloween, and Mom delighted in the opportunity to spoil them rotten with treats.

Over the next couple of days, Mom started to have more and more difficulties with mobility, and ultimately, she made the decision to focus on living in comfort rather than aggressively fighting her disease. A lovely team of visiting nurses and health care workers visited us in her home and helped to ensure that her transition to the next life would be as peaceful as possible. My sister returned, and we were able to share all of our time with her, swapping stories and reminiscing of all the incredible journeys she was responsible for taking our family on.

As we awoke this morning, I couldn't help but notice that today was supposed to be unseasonably warm, in the 70s, with clear blue skies. Anyone who spent any time with Mom knew that after a lifetime of New England winters, she was always ready for springtime and the warmth of the sun. She waited for that sun to take her final steps into the next life, surrounded by the love of her family and in the comfort of her own home.

Over the past many years, these boards have been a constant presence in Mom's life. She laughed with you, she cried with you, and she made lifetime connections that made her life all the more colorful; in starting this post, it seemed fitting that Mom had picked the same title in memory of another dear friend lost to cancer last year. I cannot thank you enough for bringing her that joy, and I know she would like you all to know that she is at peace and will miss you all dearly.

In lieu of flowers, we would appreciate donations to the Ovarian Cancer Research Alliance (https://ocrahope.org/), to Women and Infant's Hospital (https://www.womenandinfants.org/ways-to-give), or to Hope Hospice (https://www.hopehealthco.org/ways-to-give/how-to-give/) which treated her with unparalleled compassion and expertise throughout her journey.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

The Mom

Premium Member
Hello everyone, I am Nemo14's son David. I am so sorry to inform you all that my mother passed away just after 11 o'clock this morning, November 5th. As she had shared with you, after a wonderful summer, Mom started to experience some of the same symptoms she did just prior to her diagnosis last year. Unfortunately, her cancer had returned and she was given a less-than-optimistic prognosis. Nevertheless, she steeled herself for another round of chemo and other therapeutic regimens, and did not for one second give up hope. My dear sister made the trek home in early October to visit with her family, and had a wonderful time as Mom had the opportunity to see her granddaughters and all the joy they brought with them. My family and I arrived on Halloween, and Mom delighted in the opportunity to spoil them rotten with treats.

Over the next couple of days, Mom started to have more and more difficulties with mobility, and ultimately, she made the decision to focus on living in comfort rather than aggressively fighting her disease. A lovely team of visiting nurses and health care workers visited us in her home and helped to ensure that her transition to the next life would be as peaceful as possible. My sister returned, and we were able to share all of our time with her, swapping stories and reminiscing of all the incredible journeys she was responsible for taking our family on.

As we awoke this morning, I couldn't help but notice that today was supposed to be unseasonably warm, in the 70s, with clear blue skies. Anyone who spent any time with Mom knew that after a lifetime of New England winters, she was always ready for springtime and the warmth of the sun. She waited for that sun to take her final steps into the next life, surrounded by the love of her family and in the comfort of her own home.

Over the past many years, these boards have been a constant presence in Mom's life. She laughed with you, she cried with you, and she made lifetime connections that made her life all the more colorful; in starting this post, it seemed fitting that Mom had picked the same title in memory of another dear friend lost to cancer last year. I cannot thank you enough for bringing her that joy, and I know she would like you all to know that she is at peace and will miss you all dearly.

In lieu of flowers, we would appreciate donations to the Ovarian Cancer Research Alliance (https://ocrahope.org/), to Women and Infant's Hospital (https://www.womenandinfants.org/ways-to-give), or to Hope Hospice (https://www.hopehealthco.org/ways-to-give/how-to-give/) which treated her with unparalleled compassion and expertise throughout her journey.

And until we meet again,
I am sorry to see this. Betty & I - along with many, many other forum members, chatted back and forth for decades. We were hoping for the best - but feared the worst.

Goofyernmost

And until we meet again,
What a wonderful tribute to your Mom. My sympathies and thoughts are directed to your family. I wasn't as close to her as many of the members here, in fact, we had a couple of disagreements, but we also had some deeper conversations as well. She has been missed on the boards since the second round of treatment started so we missed her already. Maybe heaven is a place filled with eagles and warm weather.

Last edited:

Songbird76

And until we meet again,
This makes me so sad! I didn't know her well, only having recently joined the one thread where she posted, but she was a lot of fun. I am so so sorry for your loss! But I'm glad she was happy and with her loved ones. She will be very much missed.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

And until we meet again,
Please accept my condolences on your mom's passing.

I'm sure she'd be proud of you for posting such a touching tribute.

PUSH

And until we meet again,
I am so sorry to see this, and I am so sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

Your mom was one of the first people to welcome me to these forums back in 2012 when I first joined. She was one of my first WDWMagic friends, and she helped so many of us connect into a friendship that goes much further than simple screen names and Disney posts. We shared a lot of laughs, and also some very sad moments over the years. She was part of our family, and always will be. I will miss our shared hatred of northern winters, and I will miss her eagle watching pictures. I bet she'll say hi to unkadug and Lucky for us.

May she rest in peace.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I'm so sorry to hear this news. I always enjoyed your mom's posts and looked forward to seeing her eagle pictures. I was lucky enough to meet your mom once by chance at WDW. My husband and I shared a table with her and her family (I'm sorry I don't remember who all in her family was with her, I just remember talking with her) at the the Biergarten in Epcot. I remember it made for a fun meal to chat with her. She will be missed by us here. Condolences to your whole family. 😢

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Thank you David for sharing. Your mom was a wonderful person and was well loved here. We enjoyed hearing stories about you and Becky, and Betty’s four beloved grandchildren over the years.

You are as much a part of our Saget family as the rest of us. Please know that many of us were praying for her and hoping for the best; but we know that your mom’s faith prepared her for the worst.

Soar with the Eagles, Betty. Until we meet again.

Eric1955

I am so sorry to hear this. Betty reached out to me and invited me over to the Saget thread. Ever since I have enjoyed getting to know her. It has been a privilege to call her a friend. I’m thankful that I had the chance to meet her in person. She was just as lovely in person as you would expect.

We all love you Betty, and will miss you greatly.

Uponastar

My heart is broken.

David, thank you for sharing this beautiful tribute to your mom.
Betty and I became friends here, on Magic, and even though I drifted away from here, she and I stayed friends. She visited me when I lived in Philadelphia, and then both she and Dave came to see us here in Florida, after we moved to Vero Beach. I will miss her wonderful wit and easy going manner. I will think of her whenever I have ice cream...(with jimmies, Betty, not sprinkles!)
Please accept my condolences, David. And please tell your Dad that my husband George and I will cherish the times we spent with him and Betty and that our prayers and love are with him and all of your family. We hope that he will stay in touch.

Rest In Peace, dear friend...till we meet again.

Dot Holmes

MinnieM123

Premium Member
David, I am so sorry for your loss, and thank you for sharing that lovely tribute. Your mother was a wonderful person, and was always willing to share her knowledge with everyone. She was intelligent, thoughtful, and also had a great sense of humor. (I will also miss her beautiful photographs of eagles, which she shared with us, over the years.)

I admired her strength through her medical journey. Her loss will be felt by many here. Prayers and kind wishes to you and your family, during this sad time.

DisneyBunny

Oh my. Please share my condolences with your family. Betty was one of the first members I formed a connection with here when I joined many moons ago. She made the trek to my house for my Baby Shower and gifted the wee lass in my profile picture with all sorts of Nemo things, all of which we still have and use and make me think of her when I see them, and the girl is now 13 years old. We visited together when my family would take a trip to Foxwoods, and I enjoyed her easy demeanor, her strength and her kindness. We all loved her as another mother, friend, and confidant. Swim free of pain, Fishy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom