Sad News: Three-year-old drowns at Art of Animation Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToTBellHop

Come on. That's like saying I should be compassionate towards a drunk driver who crashes his car and kills his wife but feels really, really bad about it.
No, that's like saying you should be compassionate toward the parent who was busy and didn't check adequately and accidentally backed their car over their child on the way to work. Technically negligent but most people can admit that sometimes they aren't quite as diligent as they can be. Especially on vacation. No one is perfect all the time--except that parent I blocked with the ridiculous avatar.

If the parents were drunk and this happened, as in your example, I'd feel very different.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
No, that's like saying you should be compassionate toward the parent who was busy and didn't check adequately and accidentally backed their car over their child on the way to work. Technically negligent but most people can admit that sometimes they aren't quite as diligent as they can be. Especially on vacation. No one is perfect all the time--except that parent I blocked with the ridiculous avatar.

If the parents were drunk and this happened, as in your example, I'd feel very different.
I don't know, man. The combination of age (three) and venue (resort with a giant pool) puts this closer to gross negligence than the garden variety kind in my eyes.

OT: In defense of that guy's avatar, I think it's the belly dancer from the Morocco pavilion, so technically it's Disney-appropriate.

ToTBellHop

I don't know, man. The combination of age (three) and venue (resort with a giant pool) puts this closer to gross negligence than the garden variety kind in my eyes.

OT: In defense of that guy's avatar, I think it's the belly dancer from the Morocco pavilion, so technically it's Disney-appropriate.
Difference of opinion, then. FWIW, I would be holding my children or have them in some sort of floatation device in the pool and they are 2 1/2. This is actually why we prefer the new splash pads they've been building--they are just safer for young kids who haven't had extensive swim lessons.

But I can imagine something like this: We open the gate to go into the pool, someone immediately stops me to ask me about a character on my beach towel, so we chat for 20 seconds about it, I think my son is next to me because he knows he should be (he's 3 and generally stays with me so I admittedly take that for granted). After 20 seconds talking about my towel, I continue toward the pool and notice the kid is gone. I panic and start searching. I scream to notify lifeguards. It's crowded in the pool and no one notices that the child went into the pool and right under. By the time he is found, it's too late.

Technically negligent--sure. But I can imagine it happening and not immediately assuming that the parents are awful.

LAM378

For some people, automatically blaming the parents is like a security blanket. Instead of accepting and admitting that accidents happen and they can never keep their child 100% safe, they block out those terrifying thoughts with "This would never happen to my child because I would never [blah blah blah whatever]."

My son tripped and fell in The Seas and landed crying and bleeding from his mouth. In the commotion, my 3-year-old nephew bolted. We noticed he was missing within seconds and the place was empty so we spotted him quickly (a good 30 feet away). My sister and I were shook up pretty badly--we watch our kids like hawks, we're crazy and paranoid, and STILL something bad almost happened.

The same exact thing could have happened as we passed a body of water. So yeah, I can think of quite a few ways this could have gone down that don't involve horrible, negligent parenting.

It's more comforting to think "These parents didn't care enough about their child" than it is to accept that they might be wonderful parents--parents just like you!--who got distracted by something, anything, for a split second and are now living their worst nightmare.

jaklgreen

For some people, automatically blaming the parents is like a security blanket. Instead of accepting and admitting that accidents happen and they can never keep their child 100% safe, they block out those terrifying thoughts with "This would never happen to my child because I would never [blah blah blah whatever]."

My son tripped and fell in The Seas and landed crying and bleeding from his mouth. In the commotion, my 3-year-old nephew bolted. We noticed he was missing within seconds and the place was empty so we spotted him quickly (a good 30 feet away). My sister and I were shook up pretty badly--we watch our kids like hawks, we're crazy and paranoid, and STILL something bad almost happened.

The same exact thing could have happened as we passed a body of water. So yeah, I can think of quite a few ways this could have gone down that don't involve horrible, negligent parenting.

It's more comforting to think "These parents didn't care enough about their child" than it is to accept that they might be wonderful parents--parents just like you!--who got distracted by something, anything, for a split second and are now living their worst nightmare.

This is so true. My issue more is that some people were blaming Disney and saying that they should be sued. Unless the poor baby was being watched by Disney then they did nothing wrong.

Tromboneking

The original article I read said the parents lost track of where the child was. First, I don't understand this..how this is even possible. But it looks like to me Disney had a ton of safety measures in place. First, there was a fence with gates. Secondly, they had a magic band entrance. WHY DID A 3 YEAR OLD HAVE A MAGIC BAND??? No reason for one except to get into the parks. I think this was simply a tragic accident..Prayers to the parents...I can't imagine the pain.
\

Incomudro

Indeed she is one of the belly dancers from Mo Rockin'.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
The original article I read said the parents lost track of where the child was. First, I don't understand this..how this is even possible. But it looks like to me Disney had a ton of safety measures in place. First, there was a fence with gates. Secondly, they had a magic band entrance. WHY DID A 3 YEAR OLD HAVE A MAGIC BAND??? No reason for one except to get into the parks. I think this was simply a tragic accident..Prayers to the parents...I can't imagine the pain.
\
One actual productive change that might come of this is to be able to individually control features of the MagicBand. So I can say I want my three year old's band to be park ticket and fastpass only. Twelve years old gets room key and ability to use dining plan. Fourteen gets pool and water park access. Mom and dad only get charging.

Tromboneking

I love
One actual productive change that might come of this is to be able to individually control features of the MagicBand. So I can say I want my three year old's band to be park ticket and fastpass only. Twelve years old gets room key and ability to use dining plan. Fourteen gets pool and water park access. Mom and dad only get charging.

I agree with you 100%

Incomudro

It
Difference of opinion, then. FWIW, I would be holding my children or have them in some sort of floatation device in the pool and they are 2 1/2. This is actually why we prefer the new splash pads they've been building--they are just safer for young kids who haven't had extensive swim lessons.

But I can imagine something like this: We open the gate to go into the pool, someone immediately stops me to ask me about a character on my beach towel, so we chat for 20 seconds about it, I think my son is next to me because he knows he should be (he's 3 and generally stays with me so I admittedly take that for granted). After 20 seconds talking about my towel, I continue toward the pool and notice the kid is gone. I panic and start searching. I scream to notify lifeguards. It's crowded in the pool and no one notices that the child went into the pool and right under. By the time he is found, it's too late.

Technically negligent--sure. But I can imagine it happening and not immediately assuming that the parents are awful.

You would chat with someone for 20 seconds while thinking your 3 year old son is by you because he know he should be?
While poolside?
You can't do that.

kathy reinard

A three year old should not be *watched* from the pool deck. Ever. Mom and/or dad should have been IN the pool with him.
From what I read they were separated at the hotel. Being there recently at that pool, I know that people are in and out of the gate constantly and kids rush ahead so no one really knows if a kid comes in unaccompanied. I am sure there were other people there who now wish they had noticed. We all hurt when a tragedy happens :(

Polydweller

\
This s thread is getting way out of hand with inappropriate conjecture. Read the articles from the local news services. The ONLY information released is that the boy got separated from his family and was found in the pool, the boys age 3, and visiting from NY. That is it. All articles end saying that NO OTHER details have been released.

The articles say NOTHING at all about magic bands. No evidence that the 3 yr old had one. Nothing stated about how the child got there and nothing to indicate that the family was even swimming there. So to Captain America, NOTHING indicating any form of negligence at this point and yes you can have accidents without negligence. NOTHING about how they got separated. As my previous post says it happens all the time, it's much too easy and even with the best observation kids can and do get away.

There are no facts other than we have a tragic death of a three year old and it is heart rending. And we have a family that has an unmendable hole in their lives. We need to focus the tragedy and on concern and compassion now not conjecture.

wdwhoneymooner

You know the saying that "It takes a village....." I believe this could be a good, but tragic, opportunity for all folks to fully digest the meaning of it and perhaps sincerely practice it whether the child be of a friend's, neighbor's or perfect stranger's. Yes, I am a parent that hovers over my children when they play in a pool or playground. Numerous times I've come across young kids needing some level of help and no parent or guardian paying attention to the immediate situation. And because I keep close eye on my own kids, I've been fortunate enough to lend a hand and quickly locate my kids afterwards. Or I shout out to try and get someone closer to help the child out if I feel I can't leave my kids at that moment. It may not fully guarantee the safety of all children in one's proximity, but it sure wouldn't hurt either.

I feel so bad for the parents. Can't imagine the pain.

LAM378

I agree with @Polydweller -- there's some major reaching going on here. The fact that the child "became separated from the parents" doesn't necessarily mean that he got all that far away from them, or that they were outside the pool fence and he was inside.

One way or the other, I doubt that the child let himself into the pool area on his own using a Magic Band. It's trickier than it looks. If he really did get in while his parents were outside, it's more likely that the gate was opened by someone else and he passed through.

Once again, it's a huge pool with an even bigger fenced-in pool deck, which is often very crowded. Child pulls free of parent's hand, large group of people passes by, and boom, separation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom