Sad News: Three-year-old drowns at Art of Animation Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

HolleBolleGijs

Is this what the world is coming to? Attack the people who are doing the right thing? For what reason? To justify some one else's lack of parenting? Since when is doing right by your child and being a good vigilant parent become the bad thing? There was a time where never taking your eyes off of your child(especially at dangerous places like a pool) was what all parents did. Now its ok just to let your kids get away from you and blame someone else? I don't get it. Attacking a person who is doing the right thing is not going to make a person who is not vigilant look better. And saying that it is not possible to keep an eye on your kid all the time is poppy ****, since there are plenty of people who do still watch their kids like a hawk. I am so sorry for that poor baby that died and for his parents. They will suffer the rest of their lives and will always think "what if". There are parents who know how fast a life can be lost and do everything they can to prevent it. There is nothing wrong with that.

I think @rt06 was just saying that you can't make claims that your parents never took their eyes of you at 3 years old. You can make assumptions based on personalities and parenting style, but it's impossible to know for sure.

Polydweller

No it isn't.
Yeah, I feel strongly about this.
I get annoyed when people say "oh, how tragic... "
Yes, it's terribly tragic.
Where were the parents?
Please stop blaming the parents. Besides bring inappropriate at this moment you have no more idea of what actually happened nor how diligent they were.

As to watching kids constantly, from my background as a psychologist I can tell you from studies on attention it is virtually impossible for even the most diligent person to maintain perfect attention, especially over extended periods of time or in crowded situations. People will swear up and down the never lapsed even for a second whereas objectively they were losing attention constantly. So, everyone, repeat everyone has lapses in attention. It doesn't make them bad or careless people, just human.

And as someone who has been in the hospitality business as well for many years, 'escaped kids' is something you deal with all the time. Kids are escape artists and they get away from you in a second (see the paragraph above human attentiveness). And tragedy can happen in seconds as well. In this case only a few seconds are required and drowning is very quiet.

For me, I am focussing on the horrible emptiness, sadness, guilt, grief and various emotions the family is having now and will experience for the rest of their lives. I also feel tremendously for the life guards. They were reported to be crying and distraught. I can speak to this from my youth, any incident is terrible because it represents a failure in your job, even if there was nothing you could do. Even witnesses are said to inconsolate and weeping.

There's lots of tragedy and hurt and human pain in this and not much blame. Let's focus on the tragedy this is and please stop with the persistent and totally misplaced attempt to assign blame.

Last edited:

Nemo14

Please stop blaming the parents. Besides bring inappropriate at this moment you have no more idea of what actually happened nor how diligent they were.

As to watching kids constantly, from my background as a psychologist I can tell you from studies on attention it is virtually impossible for even the most diligent person to maintain perfect attention, especially over extended periods of time or in crowded situations. People will swear up and down the never lapsed even for a second whereas objectively they were losing attention constantly. So, everyone, repeat everyone has lapses in attention. It doesn't make then bad or careless people, just human.

And as someone who has been in the hospitality business as well for many years, 'escaped kids' is something you deal with all the time. Kids are escape artists and they get away from you in a second (see the paragraph above human attentiveness). And tragedy can happen in seconds as well. In this case only a few seconds are required and drowning is very quiet.

For me, I am focussing on the horrible emptiness, sadness, guilt, grief and various emotions the family is having now and will experience for the rest of their lives. I also feel tremendously for the life guards. They were reported to be crying and distraught. I can speak to this from my youth, any incident is terrible because it represents a failure in your job, even if there was nothing you could do. Even witnesses are said to inconsolate and weeping.

There's lots of tragedy and hurt and human pain in this and not much blame. Let's focus on the tragedy this is and please stop with the persistent and totally misplaced attempt to assign blame.
Great post!!!!

polynesiangirl

As to watching kids constantly, from my background as a psychologist I can tell you from studies on attention it is virtually impossible for even the most diligent person to maintain perfect attention, especially over extended periods of time or in crowded situations. People will swear up and down the never lapsed even for a second whereas objectively they were losing attention constantly. So, everyone, repeat everyone has lapses in attention. It doesn't make then bad or careless people, just human.

Thank you for this post.

HRHPrincessAriel

As to watching kids constantly, from my background as a psychologist I can tell you from studies on attention it is virtually impossible for even the most diligent person to maintain perfect attention, especially over extended periods of time or in crowded situations. People will swear up and down the never lapsed even for a second whereas objectively they were losing attention constantly. So, everyone, repeat everyone has lapses in attention. It doesn't make them bad or careless people, just human.

Thank you. It's always so easy for people to say what they would have done.
I can't even imagine what these parents are going through and will continue going through the rest of their lives. It's too easy for people who weren't even there to start making assumptions.
I won't be able to stop hugging my 4 year old today.

ToTBellHop

Thank you. I get tired of sanctimonious parents pretending they can prevent any harm from ever coming to their children. You can't. And this is why, as a parent, I am constantly terrified for my children and yet I have to let them live their lives.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/3-year-old-drowns-disney-resort-pool-deputies-say/nmyzT/

This said that he died at the hospital. Is that because they had to go to the hospital to make the pronouncement or was he actually breathing when he left the resort?
As I understand it, EMT are not allowed to call a death on scene unless it meets one or more of 5 criteria. If they do not meet that criteria they attempt to resuscitate until they reach the hospital and the doctor will call time of death.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Right--in practice, those requirements leave very few publicized death declarations on Disney property (if people die in their sleep in a hotel room, it doesn't appear in the news). Drowning would almost never meet any of those requirements.
Correct. That is why the "no deaths on Disney property" is sort of true, but not due to anything Disney does. You could just as easily say "No deaths declared at Publix".

kathy reinard

This was my first thought, was the pool open or closed, was there a lifeguard on duty, and if closed how did the child get past the fence. I can't imagine what those parents are going through, euphoria of a WDW vacation to life shattering tragedy. We'll never be able to stop all accidents but hopefully we learn from them, RIP little one and prayers to the family.
We were at Disney in May and the Big Blue Pool is fenced in. You have to use a room card to open it. We were there with our 3 yr old granddaughter so we are heartbroken for the family :(

Incomudro

I know I was never out of my parents site when I was that young so yes my parents did pay 100% attention to me. I also have a 3 year old niece and I can tell you that she wouldn't even make it to the pool gate without one of us present. We are over protective for a reason, because accidents happen when you are not paying attention.

No.
No I won't.

Personally, I'm the kind of person who gets annoyed when others tell me; "Now is not the time to..."
Yes it is.

You can prevent your toddler from drowning at a pool.
You, as a parent - and you alone are responsible for that.
Call me sanctimonious, call me whatever you want.

ToTBellHop

No.
No I won't.

Personally, I'm the kind of person who gets annoyed when others tell me; "Now is not the time to..."
Yes it is.

You can prevent your toddler from drowning at a pool.
You, as a parent - and you alone are responsible for that.
Call me sanctimonious, call me whatever you want.
And now is the time to block you and your ridiculous avatar, sanctimommy/-daddy/-whatevery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom