????'s about WL Cabins area

waterhouse6

Hi all! Anyone who can help me with my questions that you so much:)

I am looking at the best resort choices economically for my family of 6 next Dec 31, 08-Jan 5, 09. After shopping around I am thinking that a cabin at the WL is the best choice at this time. I have a few questions.

1) How far is it from the cabin areas to the marina?

2) If I don't want to rent a golf cart, how much of a pain is it to use the internal buses to get to the marina?

3) How far away is the "food court" area from the cabins? (Looking at the DDP, resort mug in question for access to use)

4) Have read mixed reviews on other websites of the cabins; what is your take on them?

Thank you so much! I want to be sure to make the right choice for my family:wave:

Teresa

RiversideBunny

From trip reports that I have read, the cabins are very nice.
People like staying there, as far as the cabins themselves go.

The complaint seems to be transportation.
You have to often take what amounts to two buses to get to some parks and places- one internal at Ft. Wilderness and then the normal bus.

Other people on the web site may have some details on this.

Good luck.
:)

Upvote 0

lilclerk

The cabins seem really nice, but the Fort Wilderness is HUGE and a lot of people say a golf cart is a must. There's a link to a map in here. There's also a lot of info on the cabins and such in there.

Upvote 0

ImaYoyo

Now keep in mind, the cabins are actually at Ft. Wilderness, and not the wilderness lodge, so there's no true "Food Court" area there. That being said, I'm a fan. Very spacious, nice to have a kitchen, and you get a great "back-woods" feel while still being close to MK .
Hi all! Anyone who can help me with my questions that you so much:)

I am looking at the best resort choices economically for my family of 6 next Dec 31, 08-Jan 5, 09. After shopping around I am thinking that a cabin at the WL is the best choice at this time. I have a few questions.

1) How far is it from the cabin areas to the marina?

2) If I don't want to rent a golf cart, how much of a pain is it to use the internal buses to get to the marina?

3) How far away is the "food court" area from the cabins? (Looking at the DDP, resort mug in question for access to use)

4) Have read mixed reviews on other websites of the cabins; what is your take on them?

Thank you so much! I want to be sure to make the right choice for my family:wave:

Teresa

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Now keep in mind, the cabins are actually at Ft. Wilderness, and not the wilderness lodge, so there's no true "Food Court" area there. That being said, I'm a fan. Very spacious, nice to have a kitchen, and you get a great "back-woods" feel while still being close to MK .

I was just going to say the same thing. :lol: they are easy to mix up because they are in the same area and listed together on the signs.

The cabins are located at Fort Wilderness Campground and that is not the same resort as the Wilderness Lodge. Here is the fact sheet on Fort Wilderness Campground... Click Here
You can get refillable mugs at Trail's End Restaurant

It is a short boat trip or a trip thru the woods (hiking trail) to the Wilderness Lodge. While you may eat & shop there you may not use the pool. I have seen campers sent back to the campground because they did not know that they are two separate places.

Upvote 0

waterhouse6

Original Poster
Thanks for the info! I can't believe I put WL in there and I have a window open that says Ft. Wilderness :) ROFLMBO

I am looking at this map
http://www.kingdom-travel.com/Walt_...und/Fort_Wilderness_Resort_Campground_Map.pdf

thinking...."ok....that tells me some things, but definitely not what I want to know" LOL

Do you think a cabin is big enough for 2 adults, a 14, 8, 9 and 4 yo's? Or should I just look at getting 2 seperate rooms somewhere else on property? 2 rooms at POFQ comes out to about the same.............

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Thanks for the info! I can't believe I put WL in there and I have a window open that says Ft. Wilderness :) ROFLMBO

I am looking at this map
http://www.kingdom-travel.com/Walt_...und/Fort_Wilderness_Resort_Campground_Map.pdf

thinking...."ok....that tells me some things, but definitely not what I want to know" LOL

Do you think a cabin is big enough for 2 adults, a 14, 8, 9 and 4 yo's? Or should I just look at getting 2 seperate rooms somewhere else on property? 2 rooms at POFQ comes out to about the same.............

Personally, I would go with the two rooms. You have 6 people and two bathrooms will come in handy :lookaroun . If you get the dining plan you really won't be doing much cooking and you can keep stuff for quick snacks in the room (great for late night munchies or the ever popular "I can't wait till breakfast" rant. :lol: ) There will be a bit more room to spread out and you can put the younger ones to bed and the rest of you can still watch tv if you need to wind down. Just remember to ask for connecting rooms when you make your reservation.

Upvote 0

kstella

39 days until my next stay at FW! This will make #5!

There are groups of cabins spread throughout the resort. There are some within easy walking distance of the marina.

The internal bus system is easy to use and I've never viewed a golf cart as a "must have" unless you are too impatient to wait the 5-10 minutes for a bus.:lol: In comparison to the walking you do at the parks on an average day, the walk to the internal bus stop is nothing.

Crockett's Tavern serves an excellent buffet for lunch and dinner, but I don't think breakfast. Of course, FW is also where the Hoop Dee Doo and Backyard BBQ are. The stores have a limited supply of staple food items, but I think there is a grocery delivery service you can use. Car services also include a stop at a grocery store if you are flying in and not using your own car.

The cabins have kitchens and an outside deck area and a grill. There are play areas spread throughout the resort. FW is a very relaxing resort. Very peaceful, yet convenient. I personally love the boat ride from FW to Magic Kingdom.

Upvote 0

momofnine

hiya, when we stay at the campground we use our motorhome, so i can't help you with the cabin question, although i have heard that they are very nice. the restaurant at the campground has a very nice breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffet, and with all the room and extra things the campground has to offer (nightly movies, campfire, singalong, horseback riding, pool, beach, canoe rental etc...) it is a very fun place to stay. we have never had a problem with transportation, so if you like the outdoors, the cabin would be the way to go.:wave:

Upvote 0

scole3388

My husband and I, our 17 yr old daughter and her friend stayed in a cabin and had a great time. They are clean and comfortably furnished. And having a full kitchen is wonderful. But you need to know that there is only one bathroom in the cabin. I think, for the size of your party, I'd consider staying where you had two separate rooms.

Upvote 0

gabroccoli

When we stayed FW there was 6 in our cabin. Very spacious and comfortable but 1 bathroom. A pain in the @#$ in the morning. The buses inside FW are CHAOTIC. This is the reason why I will never stay there again. Personally if it is the same price I would go for 2 rooms at POFQ any day. Where they do have the food court at your convience(not at FW). Now don't get me wrong FW was nice, but Not worth it to me for how the buses run(took 1 1/2 hours to get to DTD). I hope this helps you, and have fun planning.

Upvote 0

smk

I love FW! Can you tell by my avatar? I have stayed in the cabins with 6 people before, it can be done. We always rent a golf cart, guess we are lazy or smart, depending on how one looks at it. I think it is smart. Once everyone gets settled someone always wants to run to the meadows trading post for a snack or better yet, we want to drive around and visit the marina for the light parade or watch the fireworks. It is a fun way to get around, the place is really huge. We don't like walking around all day in the parks, getting back to FW and then waiting on the internal bus to get back to the cabin. If you have a golf cart, you park at the marina, boat to the MK, boat home, and the take your cart back to the cabin. If you go anywhere else, you take the cart to the front, by the check in area, catch a bus to the park, catch a bus back to FW, get in the cart and head back to your cabin. I look at it like I am just taking one less bus trip.

We have gone before and rented 2 rooms at a value resort, usually sports. While we always enjoy WDW, FW feels like home to us. I would stay there with 6 people, adults can usually work out times they need to get ready. There is a mirror and hair dryer etc...in the bedroom so that helps if you are taking teenagers. TV's are in the LR and bedroom and the kitchen is fully stocked with all you need to cook a meal, including a dishwasher. The frig even has an ice maker.

There is no food court, most people take snacks and food to the cabins and make their own meals. Breakfast is easy to get together, lunch and dinner can be in the parks. Trails End buffet is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and there is a pizza place to order from. All the more reason to have a golf cart!

My DH and myself are going to the cabins for our trip next month, just the two of us and yes, we have a golf cart reserved!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom