Running shoes?

jiminy.cricket

Original Poster
My toes are actually getting a bit beaten up from time to time in my sneakers during runs. I'm actually thinking about trying out the Invisible Shoe. It's about as close as I can get to running barefoot without actually running barefoot. Has anyone tried it? What were your thoughts? What are your opinions on various shoes?

imagination30

there was a guy at the glaxy of lights 5k monday night who had the toe shoe ... and we were talking about it , a bunch of us waiting on the race to start.. , he said. it takes time getting use to them , but they are more easier to run in... , but I guess i will stick with my asic gel 2700's they are mazing!

Clamman73

I have a pair of Asics gel ds trainer 17 which have been fantastic! They fit my feet so well. However, this was the first pair that I went to a running store to see which shoe was right for me. The fellow could see my overpronation and gave me a choice of shoes, and the Asics felt the best.

I had to travel a little bit to find the shop, but it was worth it. I wouldn't try barefoot running unless talking to someone who has an expertise in running. You don't want to do more damage to your foot than you might be already doing. I read "Born to Run" and barefoot running sounds like it's the best thing since sliced bread, but I'm not too sure...

Ariel484

I have a pair of Asics gel ds trainer 17 which have been fantastic! They fit my feet so well. However, this was the first pair that I went to a running store to see which shoe was right for me. The fellow could see my overpronation and gave me a choice of shoes, and the Asics felt the best.

I had to travel a little bit to find the shop, but it was worth it. I wouldn't try barefoot running unless talking to someone who has an expertise in running. You don't want to do more damage to your foot than you might be already doing. I read "Born to Run" and barefoot running sounds like it's the best thing since sliced bread, but I'm not too sure...
Yeah, you need to go to a running store and ask them for advice. What works for someone else may not work for YOU...and if you do get minimal shoes and try to do too much too soon you can really hurt yourself. I'd talk to an expert before pulling the trigger on anything.

Kristia

I agree with everyone here. I overpronate so I did go to a running store to be evaluated and fitted for shoes. I started with the Asics Kayano (sp?). They were comfy but I was getting shin splints and knee issues. I switched to the Saucony Glides but they had a small toe box and for long runs, my toes were getting smashed and rubbing together. I now have had several pairs of Brooks Adrenalines which are great for me. Wide toe box and I am wearing a full-size larger than I usually wear. It is really just trial and error till you find something that works for you. I don't think bare-foot would work for me. If you decide to do it, ease into it or else you can hurt yourself like others have said.

aw14

I have totally flat feet and am a severe over pronator and I tried the vibram (toe-shoes). I also used them for competitive powerlifting and absolutely hated them. Major shin splints. I went back to my brooks beast for running and chucks for lifting purposes

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I agree with everyone here. I overpronate so I did go to a running store to be evaluated and fitted for shoes. I started with the Asics Kayano (sp?). They were comfy but I was getting shin splints and knee issues. I switched to the Saucony Glides but they had a small toe box and for long runs, my toes were getting smashed and rubbing together. I now have had several pairs of Brooks Adrenalines which are great for me. Wide toe box and I am wearing a full-size larger than I usually wear. It is really just trial and error till you find something that works for you. I don't think bare-foot would work for me. If you decide to do it, ease into it or else you can hurt yourself like others have said.

I too had saucony guides, and didn't like the small toebox. My wife was having IT band issues and switched to the Saucony Kinvara. I made the switch soon after, and now we both swear by them.

dreamfinder

My toes are actually getting a bit beaten up from time to time in my sneakers during runs. I'm actually thinking about trying out the Invisible Shoe. It's about as close as I can get to running barefoot without actually running barefoot. Has anyone tried it? What were your thoughts? What are your opinions on various shoes?

Have you tried to switch brands (or even models) to one that has a bigger toe box? Not knowing what you are currently running in, making the change to any minimalist shoe is a long gradual process. I think the Merrell training program has you wearing/training in them for something like 45 days before you end up doing a few miles in them. Not saying that is the end all be all, but I would figure to take at least 4-6 weeks to transition, and at the end of that maybe doing a 5k. And that could be pushing it. Not knowing your running style, making the transition from heel strike to toe strike can take a while and seriously mess up any other training you have going on.

And as a runner, you feet will get destroyed. Especially if you start to add serious miles. I get happiest when they are completely callused, cause at that point I have done everything to them I will, and have nothing else to worry about. (Usually lost/killed a toe nail or two by then) It just happens.

Currently loving the New Balance 890v2. Dreading what I will end up having to wear when I kill my last pair of the Boston Marathon edition (Still in box, coming out soon). I've done some shorter distances in FiveFinger sprints (back before they made 20 different styles), and currently use New Balance Minimus 20V2 Trail for most of my cross training days. I love the FiveFingers, but sadly that pair didn't hold up very well. Seams split, toes poked through the top, etc. My FiveFingers classic are holding up much better, but I just wear those, don't do much running in them. They do however work pretty good for a park day after running the marathon......

Had used the Brooks Ghost (3?) prior, and Asics Cumulus (9-12?) before that, but they tweaked the lasts and they just didn't fit right any more so I had to change each time.

lukacseven

I have totally flat feet and am a severe over pronator and I tried the vibram (toe-shoes). I also used them for competitive powerlifting and absolutely hated them. Major shin splints. I went back to my brooks beast for running and chucks for lifting purposes

Transitioning to minimalist shoes/running form takes time, especially if you pronate and have low arches. You really have to ease into it gradually and it may not be for everyone. Make sure you are going to a running store where they can properly diagnose your needs. I had someone at a reputable running store put me in the wrong shoe and wound up with a stress fracture. I ended up doing research on my own and tried several models until I found something that worked.

Kristia

Has wearing a half to full size bigger shoe helped? I wear a full size bigger running shoe with a roomy toe box.
It has definitely helped me. The funny thing is, they are easy and comfortable to run in, but when I walk in them for the Galloway program, I feel like my feet slide around more than I am comfortable with!

aw14

Transitioning to minimalist shoes/running form takes time, especially if you pronate and have low arches. You really have to ease into it gradually and it may not be for everyone. Make sure you are going to a running store where they can properly diagnose your needs. I had someone at a reputable running store put me in the wrong shoe and wound up with a stress fracture. I ended up doing research on my own and tried several models until I found something that worked.
That is how I ended up withthebeast. Best motion control shoe I have found. Tried asics evolution and NB 990 but to no avail.

dreamfinder

Has wearing a half to full size bigger shoe helped? I wear a full size bigger running shoe with a roomy toe box.

To echo this, have you even just looked at a different width? You may only need a little more room in the width, and not necessarily the full shoe size.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I think there is a very small percentage of runners that can do the barefoot trend. People doing this without seeking the recommendation from a running store that knows what they are talking about will really hurt them in the end. Just my opinion, but i cringe when I see runners at events that are larger than me (Im 160) running in Vibram and their gate doesnt look like it should be, probably preventing them to absorb the shock naturally.

With that said, I run in a bad shoe: Hoka's.

joel_maxwell

After thinking about this more, I think it is a very bad trend that is going to really hurt and damage peoples knees and hips in the long run. I would never claim that any shoe company is responsible for a runner decision of shoe. That is completely up to the consumer. I see that a few site have an educational section which is great. However, we all know that if we as runners get caught up in color of a shoe, you know that there is a large majority of people that will get caught up in the trend without education.

I know that before switching to Hoka's, when I would reach 500 miles on my Saucony's (end of life), I would be physically sore in my knees and hips at the end of a long run. I have inserts in my shoes, so they would hold form, just not cushion. I cant imagine running long distances in those minimalist shoes.

I recall watching the Ironman Kona. When they broke down the running part of the race, they said that every step (at their pace), was producing 600 pounds of force/shock transmitting up the leg. That is crazy not to try and absorb some of that in a shoe.

Sorry for the long response.

dreamfinder

After thinking about this more, I think it is a very bad trend that is going to really hurt and damage peoples knees and hips in the long run. I would never claim that any shoe company is responsible for a runner decision of shoe. That is completely up to the consumer. I see that a few site have an educational section which is great. However, we all know that if we as runners get caught up in color of a shoe, you know that there is a large majority of people that will get caught up in the trend without education.

I know that before switching to Hoka's, when I would reach 500 miles on my Saucony's (end of life), I would be physically sore in my knees and hips at the end of a long run. I have inserts in my shoes, so they would hold form, just not cushion. I cant imagine running long distances in those minimalist shoes.

I recall watching the Ironman Kona. When they broke down the running part of the race, they said that every step (at their pace), was producing 600 pounds of force/shock transmitting up the leg. That is crazy not to try and absorb some of that in a shoe.

The same can happen with any footwear change. Someone gets used to walking in 8in stilettos, well switching them to sneakers is gonna mess with their legs. It happens, and I agree completely, it is the consumers choice to select the footwear. The responsible companies try to inform the wearer, Merrell offers an iOS app to help, I know Vibram has a good bit on info on their website here -> http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/education/index.htm. But I can definitely see someone walking into Dick's Sporting Goods, buying a pair of the File Skeletoes, and then wearing them with no thought or planning, they will definitely cause issues. But we need to keep in mind that humans ran around without shoes for ages, so it's a matter of making the change properly, and intelligently.

lukacseven

I've run 30+ marathons or half marathons in Newtons. I had several injuries from over cushioned & stability shoes and stumbled upon Newton around the company's onset about 5-6 years ago. They started marketing to mainly triathletes, but bill themselves not as a running shoe manufacturer, rather as a running research/education company who happens to make shoes. I'v also done their clinics that take you through the transition and development of a natural running form. Since then, I have problems running and even walking in cushioned shoes, because I've developed better form. There's a lot of good programs out there such as Natural Running, Chi Running, Evolution Running that all teach similar principles. I find I simply run better, with less/no pain with a flexible, thin sole.

MKCP 1985

I once went to my local running shoe store with the idea that I was going to buy this certain pair of shoes that I had read so many good things about. Funny thing happened when I got there. They had me put on one of those shoes and one from another shoe company and run on a treadmill. To my shock, the other shoe felt better. Not convinced, I swapped feet with the shoe brands with the same result. I bought the other brand (same price) and have been totally happy.

So my advice is to keep an open mind, buy from a store where you can try them out on your feet and trust what your body tells you versus what marketing and customer reviews say.

Good running to you!

joel_maxwell

The same can happen with any footwear change. Someone gets used to walking in 8in stilettos, well switching them to sneakers is gonna mess with their legs. It happens, and I agree completely, it is the consumers choice to select the footwear. The responsible companies try to inform the wearer, Merrell offers an iOS app to help, I know Vibram has a good bit on info on their website here -> http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/education/index.htm. But I can definitely see someone walking into Dick's Sporting Goods, buying a pair of the File Skeletoes, and then wearing them with no thought or planning, they will definitely cause issues. But we need to keep in mind that humans ran around without shoes for ages, so it's a matter of making the change properly, and intelligently.
Yes, but I would argue that they werent running on concrete barefoot and evolution of humans wearing footwear has made for our feet to soften and not callus almost forming a natural shoe. It is a good debate, I just think there are more people that go buy them and then dont get the proper training or eduction, than people like lukacseven. He did it correctly.

I've run 30+ marathons or half marathons in Newtons. I had several injuries from over cushioned & stability shoes and stumbled upon Newton around the company's onset about 5-6 years ago. They started marketing to mainly triathletes, but bill themselves not as a running shoe manufacturer, rather as a running research/education company who happens to make shoes. I'v also done their clinics that take you through the transition and development of a natural running form. Since then, I have problems running and even walking in cushioned shoes, because I've developed better form. There's a lot of good programs out there such as Natural Running, Chi Running, Evolution Running that all teach similar principles. I find I simply run better, with less/no pain with a flexible, thin sole.
I think you are probably in the small % I was talking about. I would credit your success to your body type (being able to adapt and change) and you seeking education and changing the way you run. I had heard and seen Newtons, and almost went that route when I chose to go the Hoka route instead. I think my mid strike gate likes cushion and shock absorption.

There is something to said for minimal shoes with what you did. There is a reason that you see professionals wearing them, they have most likely gotten the proper training.

dreamfinder

I just think there are more people that go buy them and then dont get the proper training or eduction, than people like lukacseven. He did it correctly.

Agreed. It's not about what you wear, it's about how you wear it.

There is something to said for minimal shoes with what you did. There is a reason that you see professionals wearing them, they have most likely gotten the proper training.

The most important part. The disclaimers that diets and exercise programs give about consulting a professional before starting is there for a reason. Gradually easing into any change in routine is key, and knowing what you are getting into.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom