Running Gels on Plane

papercut

Original Poster
We're packing right now and just thought that running gels probably aren't allowed in a carry-on bag, are they? Anyone happen to know? Thanks.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
As with any liquids/gels, they're allowed in small quantities carried in a separate 1-quart zip-lock bag.

From the TSA website:

3-1-1 for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. One-quart bag per person limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. 3.4 ounce (100ml) container size is a security measure.

papercut

Original Poster
I think we're just gonna put them in our checked bags. That's okay, right? Does it still need to go in the bag? I thought that was just for carry-ons?

dreamfinder

I would still put them in a bag even if you do check them. And that is more so in case you get someones bowling ball tossed on top of them. The external bag would help to keep the gel off your clothes. Just tossing them in loose could get messy. Even just the bag you got from the store when you bought them is better than nothing.

Wilt Dasney

I don't like to check luggage and I wasn't sure about the regs, so I decided to ship my gels down to a friend ahead of time. I don't have a lot of trust in TSA's common sense after I got told to toss a pack of store bought sealed mandarin orange slices before going to LA a couple years ago.

Phonedave

You can always buy gels at the Expo.

Depends on if they have you kind or not.

Just before race time is not when a lot of people want to go switching to something new.

I never seem to have a problem with it. I have no stomach issues, but for some people it is a big deal.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
You can always buy gels at the Expo.
:eek: Scott makes an appearance.

:lol:

Also, I packed about 4 gels in my suitcase (checked) and had no problem with any of them bursting. My mom is notorious for calling then night before a trip and giving me the zip-lock bag speech. I always do it, just in case, so I dont get a "I told you so"

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No

Also, I packed about 4 gels in my suitcase (checked) and had no problem with any of them bursting. My mom is notorious for calling then night before a trip and giving me the zip-lock bag speech. I always do it, just in case, so I dont get a "I told you so"
That's what Mom's are for! :king:

SpongeScott

Depends on if they have you kind or not.

Just before race time is not when a lot of people want to go switching to something new.

I never seem to have a problem with it. I have no stomach issues, but for some people it is a big deal.

-dave
True, you don't want to be switching to a new gel right before a race. If you're a typical-flavor kind of a person, they'll have it. Just out of curiosity, do you have a flavor/brand you prefer? I'm sold on the double latte gel by Powerbar.

Almost forgot what to do! :)

Phonedave

True, you don't want to be switching to a new gel right before a race. If you're a typical-flavor kind of a person, they'll have it. Just out of curiosity, do you have a flavor/brand you prefer? I'm sold on the double latte gel by Powerbar.

Almost forgot what to do! :)

I had been using GU Chomps in Cranberry for the longest time.

They worked and I was not really looking for any sort of flavor - I'm running, not eating a fine meal.

Then I had a bunch of people convince me to try Honey Stingers. They work well too. I now use them because unlike the GU Chomps, they don't get stuck in my teeth. They are also in single use packs, as opposed to sticky little foil bags. :)

As for flavors, the cocoa and golden quite frankly taste pretty much the same to me.

-dave

joel_maxwell

I had been using GU Chomps in Cranberry for the longest time.

They worked and I was not really looking for any sort of flavor - I'm running, not eating a fine meal.

Then I had a bunch of people convince me to try Honey Stingers. They work well too. I now use them because unlike the GU Chomps, they don't get stuck in my teeth. They are also in single use packs, as opposed to sticky little foil bags. :)

As for flavors, the cocoa and golden quite frankly taste pretty much the same to me.

-dave
Scott, I endorse this. Honey Stingers are the best. I havent looked back. Great product. I like the caffeine versions, but had a close call one time due to a boost in "caffeine." :lookaroun So I stick to the regulars.

Phonedave

Scott, I endorse this. Honey Stingers are the best. I havent looked back. Great product. I like the caffeine versions, but had a close call one time due to a boost in "caffeine." :lookaroun So I stick to the regulars.

Now see, I should practice what I preach. Went to RRS tonight to get some Stingers for the marathon and walked out with a half dozen Ginseng ones - with caffeine.

It really should not be a problem because the GU Chomps I used to use were caffeinated and I had no problems with them. But yeah, I am trying something new on race day.

-dave

joel_maxwell

Now see, I should practice what I preach. Went to RRS tonight to get some Stingers for the marathon and walked out with a half dozen Ginseng ones - with caffeine.

It really should not be a problem because the GU Chomps I used to use were caffeinated and I had no problems with them. But yeah, I am trying something new on race day.

-dave
Hopefully Dave wont = porta potty break. :D

Good luck Dave in the race.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom