runDisney Star Wars Events

EPCOT-O.G.

Registration opens later this week. Any guesses as to whether they'll move forward with an in-person race, or do you think they'll change it to a virtual race before registration opens?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Registration opens later this week. Any guesses as to whether they'll move forward with an in-person race, or do you think they'll change it to a virtual race before registration opens?

Not at those prices...people won't register. To switch it 3 days before early registration opens this Thursday will be foolish.

Texas84

I did a little research, here is my plan I do however have some questions I would like to ask those who are a little more experienced.

The general gist is that I’m using the Galloway training program on runDisney’s website the beginner Half marathon one.

I took the schedule and wrote days above the plan. Since I’m running my first 10K (the wine and dine) and I should probably train for that as well. That 10K is part of my half training. Being that the wine and dine 10K is on a Saturday (November 7th) that fits nicely into Galloway’s training. I took the day where I’m supposed to run 6.5 miles as part of marathon training and marked it as a race day. So that 6.5 mile run I will use as my virtual 10K (I’ll split the time after the 6.2 mil mark).

Being that I want to treat this race as seriously as possible I wanted to ask a few questions about the plan:

1.) The run walk method is confusing if I want to keep the pace of 16 min/mil do I run 15 MINUTES and walk 30, or is it run 15 SECONDS and walk 30?

2.) The magic mile also confuses me any clarification there.

3.) Is it possible to do this on a treadmill if so, do I keep the treadmill at a normal speed during the ”walking” and speed up during the ”running”.

These may seem like dumb questions to experienced runners but I’m still learning any clarification would be great! This plan seems to work out so well since it lines up perfectly with the wine and dine 10K and gives plenty of time to prepare for the virtual half.
Look at halhigdon.com for training schedules.

For run/walk figure out what is comfortable for you. Try to increase your run time as you go.

I don't do the magic mile. That's more for speed and I don't worry about that.

Surferboy567

Look at halhigdon.com for training schedules.

For run/walk figure out what is comfortable for you. Try to increase your run time as you go.

I don't do the magic mile. That's more for speed and I don't worry about that.

I have some news, I have successfully completed a 30 minute run using the run walk method. I did this on a treadmill swapping between 3.0 and 5.0 for walking and running. I’ve also taken the data and compared the two runs one with a normal just walking at 4.0 speed and then a walk run here where the results. I think this training plan is going to work well! I used a freemium interval app that seems to work well.

Normal Sprint:

Time: 40 Mins (5 minute cool down)

Mile 1: 15’14
Mile 2: 15’22

Distance 2.40 mi

——————————————————-

Walk Run: (Using a 15 second run, 30 second walk)

Time 38 Mins (2 minute start up, 4 (ish) minute cool down)

Mile 1: 14’12
Mile 2: 14’18

Distance 2.43 mi

That’s a impressive pace increase and I don’t feel as tired, but definitely got a good work out.

I got my run walk all figured out I’m all ready to train...and yes it’s for the virtual.

RememberWhen

So we’re expecting the 2021 run to be in person? If it were virtual I’d definitely jump on the 5k, but I can’t sign up for the in-person event and throw away that money if they actually try to hold it in person. Obviously nobody knows for sure. Just curious.

Surferboy567

So we’re expecting the 2021 run to be in person? If it were virtual I’d definitely jump on the 5k, but I can’t sign up for the in-person event and throw away that money if they actually try to hold it in person. Obviously nobody knows for sure. Just curious.

Total speculation, I think it will happen in person. As I said before I am probably going to try and plan a trip in the future. For this year, I’ll be registering for the virtual Death Star half (hoping I’ll be able to secure a spot).

RememberWhen

Total speculation, I think it will happen in person. As I said before I am probably going to try and plan a trip in the future. For this year, I’ll be registering for the virtual Death Star half (hoping I’ll be able to secure a spot).
Sounds like it would be fun! Hopefully if they plan for in-person and have to change to virtual they’ll open up slots. The Star Wars races are way more appealing to me than the princesses.

Surferboy567

Sounds like it would be fun! Hopefully if they plan for in-person and have to change to virtual they’ll open up slots. The Star Wars races are way more appealing to me than the princesses.

Same here, but I do have to admit that Moana medal wasn’t that bad.

I’m a huge Star Wars fan so it just appeals to me more personally.

I don’t want to jinx this but hopefully by April I think you could run a socially distanced event. HOPEFULLY, who really knows at this point?

The only races I see being in trouble is marathon and princess to a lesser extent. Marathon especially seems like a higher chance of virtual switch occurring.

I do love virtual races though, as everyone here knows. Very excited to grab a spot for virtual half. That Death Star theme really shows promise.

RememberWhen

Same here, but I do have to admit that Moana medal wasn’t that bad.

I’m a huge Star Wars fan so it just appeals to me more personally.

I don’t want to jinx this but hopefully by April I think you could run a socially distanced event. HOPEFULLY, who really knows at this point?

The only races I see being in trouble is marathon and princess to a lesser extent. Marathon especially seems like a higher chance of virtual switch occurring.

I do love virtual races though, as everyone here knows. Very excited to grab a spot for virtual half. That Death Star theme really shows promise.
The pictures of the crowds at/during the 5ks at Epcot make me doubtful that they could really do a socially distant race. But maybe?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom