Rumor: Splash Mountain receiving WDW-style logs

mickEblu

Speed of fumes are controlled by several factors, 1. the water flow and 2. conveyors along the path. So they can still zip it along by just increasing the speed of both.

I guess it depends on what their intentions were (if the rumor were true). If it’s to raise capacity then what you re saying can apply but if it’s with the intention of slowing down the logs for the show scenes then...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I guess it depends on what their intentions were (if the rumor were true). If it’s to raise capacity then what you re saying can apply but if it’s with the intention of slowing down the logs for the show scenes then...

I wouldn't mind if it was slowed down a little bit. I would like to see a bit more of the show scenes for a slightly longer period, like an additional second or two.

But yeah if its for the added capacity then I'd say they'd increase the water flow and the speed of the under water conveyors.

Rich T

Remember, DL's Splash Mtn. has been wonky since before it debuted. Its grand opening was delayed for months while they addressed problems with the first logs being too big for the flume's turns and test riders getting soaked to the bone.

I loved Splash Mtn when I rode it that first year, but even back then the logs they ended up using felt clunky as they took the turns and topped the lifts. That clunkiness is still there. I love the ride, but Imagineering certainly learned from it & improved it for WDW and Tokyo.

Last edited:

oo_nrb

They could of course just be replacing the track in its entirety at the end of its lifespan like they have with space mountain and big thunder. They did gut the entire flume and its surrounding rockwork though and I have to be honest, when I saw the new track installed this week, it looked far wider than I expected it to. I had this thought before the rumor mills went crazy. As expensive as it would be to do, it would be great for capacity next to galaxy's edge.

The current Splash infrastructure would not be able to handle double-seater logs like MK's both for reasons of flume width and the weight of the vehicles. The only reason the flume looks wider now is just because it's being built to modern specifications and hasn't had decades worth of rust built up on it.
About ten years ago at this point they added the double-wide last row but never ended up utilizing them because they were getting stuck. Perhaps the bigger problem was the depth of the flume. Would be smart if they just made some minor modifications during this replacement to better suit at the very least, the logs they already have.

The double-wide row is used, but not for two adults to sit side-by-side. It can be used for an adult and a child to sit together, though.

kkocka

Yeah this definitely ain't happening. It likely is just the WDW asset being repurposed for the map at DL. Take a look at the Radiator Racers on the DCA map and you'll notice the cars are driving the opposite direction on the track. Little details.

Rich T

Apparently an unpopular opinion, but I think the WDW logs are much better than the ones at DL, minus the restraints.

There's a reason they didn't use the same log design when they built other SMs.
That should in no way be an unpopular opinion. DL's Splash Mtn. is/was a problem-riddled first try at a Disney log flume adventure right down to the logs (and it turned out pretty great anyway.) WDW's improved the concept in nearly every way, including the vehicles. (The music's a matter of taste, but I love the two very different arrangements).

GiveMeTheMusic

The greatest version of Splash is TDL's, which combines the charm of a full-fledged Critter Country with an immaculate implementation of the WDW show scenes and logs, and a stunning load area unique to that park. Plus a built-in restaurant!

DL's Splash has always paled in comparison to WDW, which benefitted from hindsight, but things have only gotten worse as the ride has fallen into darkness and disrepair. I hope one day there's the political and budgetary will to fix it up and make it shine.

Curious Constance

The greatest version of Splash is TDL's, which combines the charm of a full-fledged Critter Country with an immaculate implementation of the WDW show scenes and logs, and a stunning load area unique to that park. Plus a built-in restaurant!

DL's Splash has always paled in comparison to WDW, which benefitted from hindsight, but things have only gotten worse as the ride has fallen into darkness and disrepair. I hope one day there's the political and budgetary will to fix it up and make it shine.

You're not expecting it to shine after this refurbishment?

Stevek

Apparently an unpopular opinion, but I think the WDW logs are much better than the ones at DL, minus the restraints.

There's a reason they didn't use the same log design when they built other SMs.
As someone who grew up with Knott's logs and has ridden the WDW Splash, I still prefer the DL logs but either is fine quite honestly. I just know I got far more soaked at WDW, and that part sucked. As for the ride itself, the WDW version is superior.

D.Silentu

You're not expecting it to shine after this refurbishment?

Have to agree with this sentiment. Splash ought to be in top shape in all facets after a refurbishment of this length. Personally, I hope some adjustments are made to the lighting. After another refurb, some years ago, it became very shadowy inside the mountain. In any case, hopefully Indy is next in line for a tune up.

Castle Cake Apologist

As someone who grew up with Knott's logs and has ridden the WDW Splash, I still prefer the DL logs but either is fine quite honestly. I just know I got far more soaked at WDW, and that part sucked. As for the ride itself, the WDW version is superior.

I'm not sure on DL's version, but much of the "splash" on WDW's SM comes from water cannons along the flume at the base of the drop. The drop itself doesn't actually get guests all that wet, but those water cannons will soak you to the bone. They turn them off on chilly days for that reason.

Stevek

America has singing?

Apparently so...a shirt made by everyone's favorite, Tommy Boy.

1520288021992.png

Stevek

I'm not sure on DL's version, but much of the "splash" on WDW's SM comes from water cannons along the flume at the base of the drop. The drop itself doesn't actually get guests all that wet, but those water cannons will soak you to the bone. They turn them off on chilly days for that reason.

Yeah, it was the cannons. Boat was coming down the drop, we were going up the lift. Nailed us...and it was quite cold. First day there, $200 in new sweatshirts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom