Rumor: Splash Mountain receiving WDW-style logs

dweezil78

No, I agree with everything you've said. You and I both like disneylands because it is so weird. You wouldn't prefer wdw's. To me, the tone set by the score and supported by the lighting is what makes it so amazing. It is so driven by the score's tonal shifts that I would love it just as much if I was blind. Most people prefer wdw's but I think when they made it grander and improved the set lighting, that isn't all they did. They made it way more one note. Its like riding through the bright sunny beginnings of a winnie the pooh dark ride.

I will agree that DL's section before the final lift hill is way better with the way it's all doomy and full of dread w/ the scary dark version of 'Laughin' Place.' It was actually a different song at first ("Sooner or Later") that I don't think even lasted a full year before they switched it. DL wins there hands down, I admit. Still not enough to change my overall ranking though!! :D

mickEblu

I will agree that DL's section before the final lift hill is way better with the way it's all doomy and full of dread w/ the scary dark version of 'Laughin' Place.' It was actually a different song at first ("Sooner or Later") that I don't think even lasted a full year before they switched it. DL wins there hands down, I admit. Still not enough to change my overall ranking though!! :D

Whoa, really, “Laughin Place” wasn’t part of DLs original soundtrack? Or was “Sooner
or later” an additional song (before the last drop) that got cut and they just lengthened Laughin Place? The latter seems more likely.

dweezil78

Whoa, really, “Laughin Place” wasn’t part of DLs original soundtrack? Or was “Sooner
or later” an additional song (before the last drop) that got cut and they just lengthened Laughin Place? The latter seems more likely.

“Sooner or Later” was originally in place of the scary “Laughin Place” right before the final lift hill — where the mom is singing to the kids.

Rich T

DL's Advantages:

Weirdness
Hitch-Hiking Alligator
Better placement of Brer Bear over the dark drop into the beehive
Spooky section leading to vultures
Splashdown ends right at the edge of the Rivers of America
Historic factor: Use of America Sings figures.
Fantastic score using original's film style

WDW's Advantages:

Much better storytelling with more scenes, special effects, character moments (when all AA figures are working).
Better Laughing Place
More comfortable logs
*BIG PLUS* = Their Brer Rabbit actually looks like the film character. DL's seems to be using his bad stunt double (it looks like the cutesy version often used in the 70's "Disney Digest" comics. Or Bean Bunny.
Fantastic score featuring a bluegrass version of all the songs.

Last edited:

180º

WDW's Advantages:

Much better storytelling with more scenes, special effects, character moments (when all AA figures are working).
Better Laughing Place
More comfortable logs
*BIG PLUS* = Their Brer Rabbit actually looks like the film character. DL's seems to be using his bad stunt double (it looks like the cutesy version often used in the 70's "Disney Digest" comics. Or Bean Bunny.
Fantastic score featuring a bluegrass version of all the songs.
I beg to differ on this point. WDW has a watered down, generic Br’er Rabbit compared to the more film-accurate DL version.

I’d provide my own examples, but @Djali999 already covered this in a blog post.

Excerpt from “Song of the South: Disney's Loaded Gun” – Passport to Dreams Old and New said:
Br'er Rabbit's attractive sass and swagger is totally gone, as are his memorable film dialogue lines retained for the 1989 Splash Mountain, like "'I'm gonna bust you wiiiide open!". With his grey fur and stock hijinx, the 1992 Br'er Rabbit could just be a Bugs Bunny clone with all of Bugs' gender queerness removed.

If youre interested, you can read the entire essay, which thoroughly covers the topic of Song of the South and Splash Mountain, here:

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2015/05/song-of-south-disneys-loaded-gun.html?m=1

Rich T

WDW has a watered down, generic Br’er Rabbit compared to the more film-accurate DL version.
wdwrabbit.jpg
dlrabbit.jpg

I think the DL version looks more like Bean Bunny than Brer Rabbit.

SuddenStorm

It was actually a different song at first ("Sooner or Later") that I don't think even lasted a full year before they switched it.

It's my understanding that Sooner or Later was never actually in the ride when it opened. A version of the Splash Mountain medley with Sooner or Later in place of Burrow's Lament was included in the 50th anniversary box set. The book that came with it states

"Originally, this "Burrow's Lamenet" was to have been based on yet another melody from Song of the South, "sooner or Later."

A quick google search didn't bring up anything about it actually being in the ride at opening.

dweezil78

It's my understanding that Sooner or Later was never actually in the ride when it opened. A version of the Splash Mountain medley with Sooner or Later in place of Burrow's Lament was included in the 50th anniversary box set. The book that came with it states

"Originally, this "Burrow's Lamenet" was to have been based on yet another melody from Song of the South, "sooner or Later."

A quick google search didn't bring up anything about it actually being in the ride at opening.

You may be right -- I'm admittedly not entirely sure. Totally possible it never made it to opening day!

Hattieboxghost110

We agree on somethin'!

(Technically, that awesome song at the end is called, "Burrow's Lament.")

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom