Politics RUMOR: Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al to Redo Hall of Presidents

This thread contains political discussion related to the original thread topic

mwf5555

The comparison to captain EO certainly makes sense but Disney just spent a lot of money making hall of Presidents modern. And it succeeded. It feels like a modern day documentary that comes to life.

I think the issue is wanting to create something a bit more timeless that doesn’t have to be updated every 4-8 years and that doesn’t create so much political tension. Disney keeps 2 security guards standing inside the attraction to handle people that shout out and make a scene.

Add to that the ability to link it to a modern day IP... makes total business sense.
everything DOES NOT have to link to an IP! This should stand alone without the "better change it or else" mob influencers...

TrainsOfDisney

everything DOES NOT have to link to an IP! This should stand alone without the "better change it or else" mob influencers...

I agree with you. But it’s not me you have to convince. Shanghai couldn’t even have a “Main Street” - has to be “more Disney!”

Miami Blues

I love this. Not as much as I love the idea of the Muppets holding a pageant to tell their version of American history, but it could work.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Personally I’m neutral. I haven’t watched Hamilton, nothing against the creators but I just don’t like rap music.

I would still suggest you give it a try. I don't like the rap genre, either, but the 'rap' in Ham is sung rap, not spoken rap. It's very much like those fast-paced Sondheim numbers like "Not Getting Married" from Company. Or think of the rap section of "You're Welcome" from Moana.

Also, it's not all rap. There are full-fledged song songs. And the songs that are there are wonderfully written, orchestrated, and performed.

Because of the fast-paced rap parts, I suggest watching with the closed captioning turned on.

KimAnnFran

So put this one in the rumor category for now because it's not a done deal as of yet. However, with three separate sources reporting the same negotiations to me, I'm certain things are being worked on, whether they come to fruition or not.

What I've been informed of is that Disney is interested in getting away from the polarization inherent in Hall of Presidents as it currently is formatted. They're also interested in not spending large sums each time a new president is elected. Therefore Disney has reached out and is in talks with Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al Yankovic to write and direct a new Hall of Presidents theater show that would be non partisan and more timeless. This would not be a direct import of Hamilton, but might feature some influence. I have no info whatsoever about the animatronics or the costumes, but I can't fathom Disney discarding them. I'm told the vision of the show is "historical but witty".

While I've been somewhat displeased with Disney as of late, I have to say this rumor could actually turn out well. If they can thread the needle of being humorous, witty, historical, and interesting, all while not being offensive, I'm all for it. Weird Al potentially being involved took me seriously by surprise, but I could see this working in a zany way.
Not sure how I feel about this.
It seems like Disney is trying to move away from animatronics?

DugLovesU

This is a great idea! While I love the HOP, to most everyone else it's just a sit down, AC, breastfeeding, or nap break. This would definitely cut out most of the politics and also attract a younger crowd. And is there any way to add a Muppets GMAH preshow??

BillW

I really like HoP, one of my must see at MK. It needs some work, but I hope the AA remain and they keep adding new presidents. The addition of humor and wit is very welcoming.

Robbiem

I would still suggest you give it a try. I don't like the rap genre, either, but the 'rap' in Ham is sung rap, not spoken rap. It's very much like those fast-paced Sondheim numbers like "Not Getting Married" from Company. Or think of the rap section of "You're Welcome" from Moana.

Also, it's not all rap. There are full-fledged song songs. And the songs that are there are wonderfully written, orchestrated, and performed.

Because of the fast-paced rap parts, I suggest watching with the closed captioning turned on.

thanks. I really didn’t like the trailer but i might try and watch the version on Disney plus

TeriofTerror

I'm hoping we can all come together and agree this is hilarious:
Screenshot_20200708-190514_Twitter~2.jpg

The Visionary Soul

So put this one in the rumor category for now because it's not a done deal as of yet. However, with three separate sources reporting the same negotiations to me, I'm certain things are being worked on, whether they come to fruition or not.

What I've been informed of is that Disney is interested in getting away from the polarization inherent in Hall of Presidents as it currently is formatted. They're also interested in not spending large sums each time a new president is elected. Therefore Disney has reached out and is in talks with Lin Manuel Miranda and Weird Al Yankovic to write and direct a new Hall of Presidents theater show that would be non partisan and more timeless. This would not be a direct import of Hamilton, but might feature some influence. I have no info whatsoever about the animatronics or the costumes, but I can't fathom Disney discarding them. I'm told the vision of the show is "historical but witty".

While I've been somewhat displeased with Disney as of late, I have to say this rumor could actually turn out well. If they can thread the needle of being humorous, witty, historical, and interesting, all while not being offensive, I'm all for it. Weird Al potentially being involved took me seriously by surprise, but I could see this working in a zany way.
Must be nice, must be nice... to have Iger on your side...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom