[RUMOR] Imagination's potential replacement?

mimitchi33

Original Poster

I was watching this livestream, and asked if Imagination would be replaced (since the guy they met up with knows some things about Disney's future), and they said it will in time for the 40th, followed by him muttering what sounded like "It's gonna be something like the original". It's surprising that they would choose this path, but I would be happy to enjoy an experience similar to what you all experienced in your youth. How does everyone feel?

trainplane3

I was watching this livestream, and asked if Imagination would be replaced (since the guy they met up with knows some things about Disney's future), and they said it will in time for the 40th, followed by him muttering what sounded like "It's gonna be something like the original". It's surprising that they would choose this path, but I would be happy to enjoy an experience similar to what you all experienced in your youth. How does everyone feel?

Feel? Great if this actually happened. I only did the original once when I was little and loved it so much. It's literally burned into my memory more than my first time to MK or MGM. This is one of the very few IP's that I want in Epcot. I'd love to see Dreamfinder walking around again. Disney knows there's a (rabid) Figment fan-base. BUT will they do it or just go with something else? I sadly expect something else but this would be a very pleasant surprise.

As per our insiders, I believe it was said 2022-2023 would be when the Imagination overhaul/renovation project would be completed so that would roughly line up with the 40th. I wonder if there's been anymore development with this as of late?

Could you please put a timestamp on the video?

No Name

The Halloween Party starts in August now??

Anyway I'm not about to watch the full 2.5 hours, could you provide the time? Even without seeing it, I highly doubt the guy they met up with really with knows much about Disney's future, but you never know.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Strange question... why would you ask? Enlighten us please.

I ask in jest but a few of the rumors hint at Imagination's closure and depending on which rumor one follows; it's possible replacement. Then there's the rumor that Figment and The Dreamfinder might become a hybrid 4D show taking over Captain EO/Honey I Shrunk. That rumor then spun off into speculation.

5 years ago rumblings about a new 4D show to replace Honey I Shrunk was brought up. About 3 years ago it was suggested that a movie actor, such as the likes of Jack Black would be taking on the role of Dreamfinder. Recently; this was substantiated in a podcast by a person many no longer trust as a reliable source, myself included. That rumor has since fizzled out. I firmly believe that something will eventually happen to Imagination! although I haven't heard a definitive, multi-confirmation from sources.

The most recent rumors suggest one of four scenarios:

1) The tracked Imagination! will be retooled to include screenz and will try to replicate the charm of the original using minimal AAs and a possible actor in place of the previous AA dreamfinder. That one's the most interesting because it combines both rumors taking the best of both, mashing them together into essentially an idea purported as fact. I kind of like the idea of Disney giving us the charm of the original while beefing up the effects using 4D effects and screenz.

2) Imagination will be retooled but with a new storyline based around the graphic novel. This hasn't been mentioned on the forum I don't think so take that "rumor" with a grain of salt.

3) The 4D show with Imagination shuttered and eventually re-imagined around Pixar IP.

4) Nothing happens for another 5 years.

Does anyone REALLY!? know what the future holds for Imagination! or are we going to have 10 more years of 20 questions and speculation. Surely something will pan out in the next 3-5 years?

Last edited:

trainplane3

I ask in jest but a few of the rumors hint at Imagination's closure and depending on which rumor one follows; it's possible replacement. Then there's the rumor that Figment and The Dreamfinder might become a hybrid 4D show taking over Captain EO/Honey I Shrunk. That rumor then spun off into speculation.

5 years ago rumblings about a new 4D show to replace Honey I Shrunk was brought up. About 3 years ago it was suggested that a movie actor, such as the likes of Jack Black would be taking on the role of Dreamfinder. Recently; this was substantiated in a podcast by a person many no longer trust as a reliable source, myself included. That rumor has since fizzled out. I firmly believe that something will eventually happen to Imagination! although I haven't heard a definitive, multi-confirmation from sources.

The most recent rumors suggest one of four scenarios:

1) The tracked Imagination! will be retooled to include screenz and will try to replicate the charm of the original using minimal AAs and a possible actor in place of the previous AA dreamfinder. That one's the most interesting because it combines both rumors taking the best of both, mashing them together into essentially an idea purported as fact. I kind of like the idea of Disney giving us the charm of the original while beefing up the effects using 4D effects and screenz.

2) Imagination will be retooled but with a new storyline based around the graphic novel. This hasn't been mentioned on the forum I don't think so take that "rumor" with a grain of salt.

3) The 4D show with Imagination shuttered and eventually re-imagined around Pixar IP.

4) Nothing happens for another 5 years.

Does anyone REALLY!? know what the future holds for Imagination! or are we going to have 10 more years of 20 questions and speculation. Surely something will pan out in the next 3-5 years?

Imagination - something with Imagination... maybe... and if so, it's 5-6 years away (2022-3). [and again]
-It's long range budget is less than Energy's [here]
-Also as an option is no more Figment [far off possibility]
That's all we got from @marni1971 as far as Imagination goes.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The Halloween Party starts in August now??

Anyway I'm not about to watch the full 2.5 hours, could you provide the time? Even without seeing it, I highly doubt the guy they met up with really with knows much about Disney's future, but you never know.

Stores start selling decorations and stuff in August. It's Back to Ghoul season where you can stock up on School Supplies and buy a Superhero Costume in the same aisle. This is just part of the norm now. Hey it could be worse! Christmas in July!

Gringrinngghost

Hi, I'm that "guy" and to clarify, to my last understanding anything for imagination is 2022-2023, hence why I gave it around Epcot's 40th.

-James

Disney4family

A few weeks ago, we spoke with a CM about such a change. He said that through surveys Disney has seen that Figment does have a strong following (albeit for the original). He said Disney was hoping for a different reaction so that they could completely replace it. Now they feel stuck trying to keep what Guests want and yet change/replace it for the future (what they want).
Again, it was just a CM in the parks so take it for what it's worth.

Thelazer

He said Disney was hoping for a different reaction so that they could completely replace it. Now they feel stuck trying to keep what Guests want and yet change/replace it for the future (what they want).

If "They" feel stuck giving guests what they want... and yet still unsure how to update it for the future.... then oh boy, do we need to have a cleaning of the house at a few dept's.... this isn't hard people, it's really not hard.

The original could have been updated, with the projection tech used on the castle (think that "white room" with pixel mapped images all over it" The turn table scene updated with new AA's, new background video (led screen?) and more animation / movement (think robot arm) take out the science section, replace that and the ending section and that would do the job. Easily bring it under 50 million to do.

Even having to rip out the trash that is there now, restore the track, rebuild a few "key" scene's with updated tech, again.. not hard... and there is plenty of skilled and passionate people around WDW who'd be able to lead the charge on it, if they were just unshackled and given the creative freedom.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
If "They" feel stuck giving guests what they want... and yet still unsure how to update it for the future.... then oh boy, do we need to have a cleaning of the house at a few dept's.... this isn't hard people, it's really not hard.

The original could have been updated, with the projection tech used on the castle (think that "white room" with pixel mapped images all over it" The turn table scene updated with new AA's, new background video (led screen?) and more animation / movement (think robot arm) take out the science section, replace that and the ending section and that would do the job. Easily bring it under 50 million to do.

Even having to rip out the trash that is there now, restore the track, rebuild a few "key" scene's with updated tech, again.. not hard... and there is plenty of skilled and passionate people around WDW who'd be able to lead the charge on it, if they were just unshackled and given the creative freedom.

The projection tech didn't exist when they replaced the original (and Disney was forced to change it before the year 2000 per the contract with Kodak). I'm not trying to give them a pass on what they did, just stating for the record.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
A few weeks ago, we spoke with a CM about such a change. He said that through surveys Disney has seen that Figment does have a strong following (albeit for the original). He said Disney was hoping for a different reaction so that they could completely replace it. Now they feel stuck trying to keep what Guests want and yet change/replace it for the future (what they want).

Should we assume Disney doesn't yet know what to do with Imagination? That would explain the delay and conflict rumors on how the character(s) will be used.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom