RUMOR: goodbye Tables in Wonderland

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I was at EPCOT Guest Relations Sunday night and witnessed/overheard the following: Family was in GR asking about dining (from what I could gather) and the GR rep told them that "everyone's was extended & expires in March 2021 and we're not selling new memberships" - take that as you will but TiW is a goner.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
i think at present it is similar to the dining plan, they don't want to offer something they don't have the capacity to deliver.

TiW is 0 capacity to deliver though. It's a flat 20% on food/booze at table service places + 18% grat (I always tip more).

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
TiW is 0 capacity to deliver though. It's a flat 20% on food/booze at table service places + 18% grat (I always tip more).
Well...

While it is not as bad as the DDP where a guest could have unused credits left over at the end of a trip due to so many restaurants being closed or operating at lower capacity, the TiWL's value is reduced for the same reason.

This would not be too bad if we were back in the Disney Dining Experience days where the card was only about $50. At a current price point of $150/$175, I could see a non-zero number of people wanting a partial refund if TS meals were not available due to the current situation.

It is also conceivable that Disney wants to do everything to maximize restaurant profits during this time.

Jon81uk

This would not be too bad if we were back in the Disney Dining Experience days where the card was only about $50. At a current price point of $150/$175, I could see a non-zero number of people wanting a partial refund if TS meals were not available due to the current situation.
Yep this is exactly what I was thinking. As they are charging for the card there is an expectation that some service will be delivered.

JIMINYCR

Yep this is exactly what I was thinking. As they are charging for the card there is an expectation that some service will be delivered.
Yes. Makes no sense in offering something that you know full well you cant deliver on. The future of things is unclear. The complaints and negative posts about what is going on Disney wide are already massive, why ask for more?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
TIW was always a breakage deal for Disney. For everyone that got more than their money's worth, there were those that didn't use it frequently enough to even break even.

The - It just seemed like a good idea at the time type crowd. That crowd is the one that flying in (both domestically and internationally), Sees the offer, seems like a good deal, purchases the card ends up not using it as much as they thought they would. The other group is APs or others that go frequently and get much more value than the purchase price of the card.

Makes me wonder what the fate of the "refillable" resort mug is going to be. I could easily see them cutting limits from duration of stay to a per diem type charge. (say $5.99 per 24 hour period)). Not saying it's going to happen. But I wouldn't be shocked.

Kkar

We've used the TiW card for years, going back to when it was the DDE. For us it's worked out great. We would visit 4 - 5 times a year, would always dine at one or two Signature restaurants, order a bottle of wine, plus pre and post dinner cocktails. We often brought visiting friends with us, so sometime the card would pay for itself over one long weekend.
Pre-pandemic, we had already been considering not renewing for the first time in a decade. More limited entrees, lesser atmosphere (i.e. removing Mizners and the Orchestra from the GF), rising prices of both the meals and the card, horrible waits for tables (even with ADR's) - the WDW dining experience just isn't that good anymore. Now, with all the closures, we definitely won't be renewing or returning. It was a good run, but all good things must (sadly) end.

Phonedave

We've used the TiW card for years, going back to when it was the DDE. For us it's worked out great. We would visit 4 - 5 times a year, would always dine at one or two Signature restaurants, order a bottle of wine, plus pre and post dinner cocktails. We often brought visiting friends with us, so sometime the card would pay for itself over one long weekend.
Pre-pandemic, we had already been considering not renewing for the first time in a decade. More limited entrees, lesser atmosphere (i.e. removing Mizners and the Orchestra from the GF), rising prices of both the meals and the card, horrible waits for tables (even with ADR's) - the WDW dining experience just isn't that good anymore. Now, with all the closures, we definitely won't be renewing or returning. It was a good run, but all good things must (sadly) end.
We stopped getting it about 3 years ago. We are a family of five, and we used to eat at table service restaurants about 80% of the time. We would easily cover the cost of the TIW membership and then some over a week vacation. The price of TS has gone up while the quality has gone down to a point where we no longer even want to dine at many table services places. Crowded, noisy, rushed, and mediocre food - not a pleasant experience at any price. There are a few exceptions, but not enough. The reservation situation has not helped either. The card no longer offers the value to us it once did.

MikeyK72

If you enjoyed an adult beverage or 6, you came out like a bandit!
Absolutely! DW and I have been using the TiW card for several years and she keeps a spreadsheet of savings over the life of each card (just to see how much value we get). We always save enough to not only pay for the card plus save an additional $500 to $800 on top of the cost.

We are not FL residents but can purchase TiW because of our DVC membership. I mention we are not FL residents because all of that savings comes out of roughly 3 trips.

MikeyK72

I was at EPCOT Guest Relations Sunday night and witnessed/overheard the following: Family was in GR asking about dining (from what I could gather) and the GR rep told them that "everyone's was extended & expires in March 2021 and we're not selling new memberships" - take that as you will but TiW is a goner.
I assume the CM meant not selling new memberships at this time (much like APs)...and hopefully didn't mean not selling TiW memberships ever again. The latter would be very sad.

MikeyK72

I do the same thing. I'll book a late March trip, then late September for my birthday, and then early March, for a total of THREE big trips on one AP.
Our rotation is January for our anniversary, Sept or October for Epcot F&W, and then the following January anniversary. The TiW card typically is good for nearly 13 months so this always works out.

Kkar

I do the same thing. I'll book a late March trip, then late September for my birthday, and then early March, for a total of THREE big trips on one AP.
Very similar for us. Late January, mid-May, early October and early December. Usually done paying for itself during the second trip!

Disney Experience

I have enjoyed TIW and its predecessor. It use to pay for itself with a visit to Victoria and Alberts, but it is no longer accepted there. They also had special events , which made it more than just a discount card. I remember going to a multi course dinner event they did that was done on the tracks for the great movie ride. Desert was served in the land of oz. Good times, not sure if I ever saved the photos.

Tjaden

I assume the CM meant not selling new memberships at this time (much like APs)...and hopefully didn't mean not selling TiW memberships ever again. The latter would be very sad.
If a Guest Services CM knew that they were never offering it again, then we would too.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Totally accurate. As TIW is not a product for sale? It's dead. MIGHT WDW sell this again? Hope so.... but currently?
DEAD DEAD DEAD.

Disney Experience

Totally accurate. As TIW is not a product for sale? It's dead. MIGHT WDW sell this again? Hope so.... but currently?
DEAD DEAD DEAD.

I do not think it is dead, just in a coma.

It just does not make sense to add new members or renew for now in a dining restricted due to covid environment. The extension is their way of compensating current members for this decreased usefulness. They do not want to start new members when they know they cannot provide a product (TIW) that gives the right value proposition.

I think they will allow new members and renewals once things are more normal. Internally they (Disney) should know the value proposition to Disney and whether it is sufficient for the work needed to provide TIW at some future date.

BernardandBianca

I was at EPCOT Guest Relations Sunday night and witnessed/overheard the following: Family was in GR asking about dining (from what I could gather) and the GR rep told them that "everyone's was extended & expires in March 2021 and we're not selling new memberships"
Saw this and wanted confirmation, so we stopped by EPCOT Guest Relations today, and asked about this. Was told by two CMs that, after checking somewhere in the back, no extension for the card was granted beyond the four months they gave everyone because of the parks' closing. So our TiW card expires end of December (four months from the August expiration on the card). The GR CM said she hoped that they would start selling the cards again soon, as they have experienced a significant number of people asking about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom