RUMOR!-Fantasmic! to recieve updates or be replaced by 2020.

Jeremy P

I have to agree with @GVentola on this... I don't know what everyone's obsession with DL's Fantasmic is. It's the original and yes, it's great but seeing Mickey on top of the mountain at the end is MUCH more effective than on top of a cabin. I mean, come on. I will give them the dragon and Peter Pan segments though.

While I'm definitely no insider either, I think WDW replacing Fantasmic would be a tough pill to swallow. I do believe we'll see some major updates soon but replacing it seems like a stretch

trainplane3

If it gets a update, I hope it means more live action and less watching movies on a water screen. I remember being 10 and leaving the show early because of boredom. I just went back last year and saw it again. We would've left if it weren't for family friends. The live action parts are great and I really did enjoy them, but the show felt like there was too much water projections (I didn't time them but it just FELT like it). Oh, and the dragon looks like a curtain and the steamboat was pretty meh looking (to the point where the friends said "it looks like it needed fixed")

Marc Davis Fan

With today's technology, there is a lot that WDI can do with the current F! space, blending live-action, pyro, and theatrical effects in ways not possible during the making of F! - also being things they couldn't do in the RoL space because of the animals, and things they can't do as effectively in World Showcase Lagoon due to its size and layout. I think this presents a unique opportunity. Whether they take it, though...

roj2323

When people have nothing else to do and know no better......
When was the last time you were at the parks? Fantasmic is genuinely popular. People come to the park from others with the express purpose of seeing Fantasmic. They get in line almost 2 hours early in some cases so they get a seat. I worked the theater probably 50 times as a custodian and I still go see the show occasionally because I like it.

matt9112

When was the last time you were at the parks? Fantasmic is genuinely popular. People come to the park from others with the express purpose of seeing Fantasmic. They get in line almost 2 hours early in some cases so they get a seat. I worked the theater probably 50 times as a custodian and I still go see the show occasionally because I like it.

I never said it wasn't popular. Just that it is very sub par for it's popularity should have been updated several times by now...than again WDW caters more and more to one and done vacations so repeatability isn't an issue. It's a great show and I like how you can sit...but still could be so much more.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I thought I recently saw Fantasmic! related permits for DHS. Recently = within the last few weeks or so.

Update: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/wdw-permits-2017.923389/
DHS Permits on 3/14/17. One is for contractor Coastal Steel (exp date: Aug 25, 2017) and the other is Tri City Electrical (exp date: May 31, 2017). Not sure if this is related to any prep work for updates to the existing show or just general maintenance for a show element. Just recalled seeing them.

There are permits for Fantasmic on a pretty regular basis so I wouldn't read to much into these.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
My best friend's sister's boyfriend knows this guy who talked to this girl who heard from her friend that talked to a bus driver who said that Fantasmic! will be updated to include the following IP: Frozen; Star Wars; Pirates; Moana. All other content will be jettisoned as ODT... err... TDO considers it "too old", and "only old people want to see anything made before 2008". Rumored budget is in excess of $3 billion, and will include projections and lasers. Lots and lots of projections and lasers. Premium dining and viewing packages will be available, starting at $499 per person.

Daveeeeed

My best friend's sister's boyfriend knows this guy who talked to this girl who heard from her friend that talked to a bus driver who said that Fantasmic! will be updated to include the following IP: Frozen; Star Wars; Pirates; Moana. All other content will be jettisoned as ODT... err... TDO considers it "too old", and "only old people want to see anything made before 2008". Rumored budget is in excess of $3 billion, and will include projections and lasers. Lots and lots of projections and lasers. Premium dining and viewing packages will be available, starting at $499 per person.
I'll take it!!

Robbiem

I'd love to see an updated show with new scenes and technology like they've done with nighttime parades and fireworks, making it Disney owned but not Disney anninamted IP (I'm being generic here so please don't shout)like Star Wars, Indy, Pixar, GOTG, Tim burton Alicia, tron, avatar etc would be a good way to make it unique to DHS although it could also make it date more easily.

It would also be great if the theatre could be used in the day for other shows, it's such a waste to have a big arena sitting empty most of the time, maybe you could have a daytime stunt show allowing Indy to be replaced or a character driven show allowing batb or mermaid to be replaced.

Also love the idea of dining, maybe they could combine a restaurant into the design overlooking the lake like they have at some of the Las Vegas hotels with water shows

aladdin2007

I'm more worried about Fantasmic getting rid of Pocahontas & John Smith. I've been obsessed for over 20 years now with this couple, wanting them together instead of how it was in Pocahontas II. (Don't tell me I don't know history. I know the historical Pocahontas married the historical John Rolfe and not the historical John Smith, but I see the Disney's characters as just that--fictional CHARACTERS inspired by historical figures, therefore their lives can go in different directions.) Anyhoo, watching Disney's Pocahontas & John Smith together in Fantasmic makes me feel good.
Also, I heard Disneyland's Fantasmic was better, but I saw it on vacation and I thought it sucked in comparison to ours. Only three villains. No Pocahontas and John Smith.

thats my favorite segment of Fantasmic too. Its done really well the lit canoes and mountain top etc.

brb1006

Disney Analyst

I have to agree with @GVentola on this... I don't know what everyone's obsession with DL's Fantasmic is. It's the original and yes, it's great but seeing Mickey on top of the mountain at the end is MUCH more effective than on top of a cabin. I mean, come on. I will give them the dragon and Peter Pan segments though.

While I'm definitely no insider either, I think WDW replacing Fantasmic would be a tough pill to swallow. I do believe we'll see some major updates soon but replacing it seems like a stretch

If the greatness of the show comes from a larger focal point, then you have missed the point. Yes the mountain looks great, yes it's amazing when Mickey appears at the top...

But let me explain why the original is indeed better.

The most amazing thing about Fantasmic is how something you never expected would happen, happens. When a first timer looks in the Entertainment Guide, they know it's a show, but they don't know what to expect. While this is technically the same for DHS: the arena, the lighting rigs hanging above, it all takes away from the element of surprise Disneyland created.

The most amazing thing about Disneyland's Fantasmic? You walk around the area all day, along the ROA and on the actual island. Then suddenly at night, the area transforms before your eyes... and with a bright flash, it is all gone again. Disneyland's version screams magical moment appearing out of nowhere along a river... DHS's screams big show in an arena.

peterpanic74

yes, exactly! this makes all the difference

If the greatness of the show comes from a larger focal point, then you have missed the point. Yes the mountain looks great, yes it's amazing when Mickey appears at the top...

But let me explain why the original is indeed better.

The most amazing thing about Fantasmic is how something you never expected would happen, happens. When a first timer looks in the Entertainment Guide, they know it's a show, but they don't know what to expect. While this is technically the same for DHS: the arena, the lighting rigs hanging above, it all takes away from the element of surprise Disneyland created.

The most amazing thing about Disneyland's Fantasmic? You walk around the area all day, along the ROA and on the actual island. Then suddenly at night, the area transforms before your eyes... and with a bright flash, it is all gone again. Disneyland's version screams magical moment appearing out of nowhere along a river... DHS's screams big show in an arena.

Slowjack

I've never seen the Disneyland version, but I've often thought this. In particular, I can imagine how thrilling it would be to have the paddle-wheeler, all decked out for the show, steaming around the corner for the finale. Thrilling, and for first-time viewers, surprising as well. The purpose-built smaller boat used at DHS just doesn't have much of an effect. I mean, this is a whole arena and show built from scratch, why does it have a boat at all? At Disneyland they cleverly repurposed what they had at the location, but at DHS they could have built anything they wanted.

Ag11gani

I've never seen the Disneyland version, but I've often thought this. In particular, I can imagine how thrilling it would be to have the paddle-wheeler, all decked out for the show, steaming around the corner for the finale. Thrilling, and for first-time viewers, surprising as well. The purpose-built smaller boat used at DHS just doesn't have much of an effect. I mean, this is a whole arena and show built from scratch, why does it have a boat at all? At Disneyland they cleverly repurposed what they had at the location, but at DHS they could have built anything they wanted.

This is an unpopular opinion but, having seen both shows I do think Disneyland is better, but I prefer the WDW finale. Personally I think the Mark Twain is too big and distracts from what, I think is the focus of the finale, the characters. I found my self focusing on the boat rather than the characters. I love the Mark Twain but also having Steamboat Willie on his boat, feeling more complete than having him on another ship dressed to look like his boat. Then you have as previously stated Mickey on top the mountain.

But if I had to be perfectly honest I would be the DHS Fantasmic! just slightly behind the Disneyland version, if it had the tech upgrades. It just dosn't have the same feeling, as stated above, when the show just appears.

Kman101

I think they could do a little better with the theater, I dunno make it feel more like a park or something ... I get feeling "too far" unlike Disneyland's, and while theirs keeps getting some little tech updates, we keep falling behind. I'd like to see them keep Fantasmic and wouldn't be opposed to a total refresh. I like the Pocahontas section but I also wouldn't mind an update there either. I'm kind of torn. I don't 100% trust them with updating things but they do OK with the nighttime shows ... we'll see the end results with Happily Ever After ...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think they could do a little better with the theater, I dunno make it feel more like a park or something ... I get feeling "too far" unlike Disneyland's, and while theirs keeps getting some little tech updates, we keep falling behind. I'd like to see them keep Fantasmic and wouldn't be opposed to a total refresh. I like the Pocahontas section but I also wouldn't mind an update there either. I'm kind of torn. I don't 100% trust them with updating things but they do OK with the nighttime shows ... we'll see the end results with Happily Ever After ...

It will be interesting to see what Disneyland's is like when it comes back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom