ruins of old rides

flavious27

In addition to all the other speculation - there's the issue with River Country being un-heatable murky lake water. That lake gets COLD. It was seasonally closed for long periods of time, and although I have an affinity for that park because it was a staple of my childhood, it was certainly not awesome on the scale of what water parks today can offer. Aspects were cool - without a doubt - and I miss it for what it was - but it can no hold a candle to the 2 water parks they have now.

Warming the water and pumping in water and then chlorinating it could have been done. There are alot of factors that kept being added up again it, tdo didn't seem to want to fix river country's shortcomings. Instead of trying to market rc as a separate water park, it should have just been the pool area for fort wilderness.

Rob562

I do not think this was the reason that River Country closed...as Dave stated water sports continue at resorts in the same water. Also I really think the dangers of the amoeba couldn't have just been realized in 2001 when River Country closed. Of course I don't know anything as fact but in the modern age of science I think it is not unreasonable to consider that the effects of this amoeba in FL bodies of water were not known throughout (at least) the 90's. River Country had some awesome aspects such as the zipline and big drop slides. However Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach became the major waterparks. I think that is why River Country closed :cry:

The amoeba lives in the sediment at the bottom of the lake. That's why swimming was discontinued in the lakes, because doing so would stir up the bottom where the amoebas lvie. Skiing, boating and other water sport take place out in the middle of the lake, where the water is deep enough that people won't come anywhere near the lake-bottom.

Warming the water and pumping in water and then chlorinating it could have been done. There are alot of factors that kept being added up again it, tdo didn't seem to want to fix river country's shortcomings. Instead of trying to market rc as a separate water park, it should have just been the pool area for fort wilderness.

I agree that things could have been altered, though it wasn't as simple as warming and chlorinating the water. From what I've read about how RC operated, the entire system would have had to be altered. Most of RC's water systems (except the traditional heated swimming pool) created a constant loop of lake water. Water was pumped into the park for the slides, it flowed from the slides into the main area of RC, and then out over the inflatable "bladder" near the water that formed the barrier between the lake and the park, and always kept the water level in the park slightly higher than the lake.

So the entire system would have to be re-built to permanently separate the park from the lake, and then re-plumbed to take water from the swimmin hole and put it back into the slides.
As you speculated, Disney was unwilling to go to those costs, especially when they had other more modern water parks on-property.

-Rob

flavious27

The amoeba lives in the sediment at the bottom of the lake. That's why swimming was discontinued in the lakes, because doing so would stir up the bottom where the amoebas lvie. Skiing, boating and other water sport take place out in the middle of the lake, where the water is deep enough that people won't come anywhere near the lake-bottom.

I agree that things could have been altered, though it wasn't as simple as warming and chlorinating the water. From what I've read about how RC operated, the entire system would have had to be altered. Most of RC's water systems (except the traditional heated swimming pool) created a constant loop of lake water. Water was pumped into the park for the slides, it flowed from the slides into the main area of RC, and then out over the inflatable "bladder" near the water that formed the barrier between the lake and the park, and always kept the water level in the park slightly higher than the lake.

So the entire system would have to be re-built to permanently separate the park from the lake, and then re-plumbed to take water from the swimmin hole and put it back into the slides.
As you speculated, Disney was unwilling to go to those costs, especially when they had other more modern water parks on-property.

-Rob

Okay, I did not know how much the flow of water into and out of the lake was, I only time I could have went to RC was in 94.

I wonder what the conditions of most of the equipment is now. I have seen the urban exploring videos of the park, but they didn't check out to see if anything was still working. There rumors of a separate DVC FW resort that would be built on this site, but it would seem odd to place a DVC right up against settlement. I wonder if disney would spend the money to upgrade RC to be the pool area for this rumor dvc site, fw and the lodge. It should be less than demoing it and building a new pool area.

Disneyana Jones

The 20K sub at EPCOT is used for parties but said to be very expensive to put into place and not used very often. "Hmmm where are we going to put that submarine?"

Last edited:

dmc493

ok i found this behind magic kingdom at the farthest point back. anyone have any ideas as to what it is??

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH...1ODIxOTA2MzA2NTI0MyZsdmw9MTYmZGlyPTAmc3R5PXU=

next, i found this mysterious wooded area with what looks like kayaks behind epcot... any hints?

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH...4MDU3NTQwNjU1MTM2Jmx2bD0xNCZkaXI9MCZzdHk9cg==

and finally,is this like a boat float thing or something? im confused...

http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9Lm1hZ...4NzE5MzI3NDE0MjY4MzIlN2UtMTUzLjA1NzE0NDE2NQ==

flavious27

ok i found this behind magic kingdom at the farthest point back. anyone have any ideas as to what it is??

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH...1ODIxOTA2MzA2NTI0MyZsdmw9MTYmZGlyPTAmc3R5PXU=

next, i found this mysterious wooded area with what looks like kayaks behind epcot... any hints?

http://www.bing.com/maps/?FORM=Z9LH...4MDU3NTQwNjU1MTM2Jmx2bD0xNCZkaXI9MCZzdHk9cg==

and finally,is this like a boat float thing or something? im confused...

http://www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9Lm1hZ...4NzE5MzI3NDE0MjY4MzIlN2UtMTUzLjA1NzE0NDE2NQ==

You will need to repost those using the shared link function with bing, the web address will include 2 long numbers.

stratman50th

A wave generator was installed on the island just off the beach of the Polynesian. It was supposed to make the shore more realistic and offer surfing. Apparently it caused too much erosion and the machine wasn't designed properly, regularly beating itself up while running. It was never officially placed into service. My understanding was that it was just left on the island to decay and fall apart. I have tried several times to spot it while staying at the Poly, as well as using Google and Bing, whatever sat-map program I could, but have never been able to actually see the machinery. I'm sure it was disguised well through design in order to maintain the "magic", but you would think you could spot some of it.:confused:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
A wave generator was installed on the island just off the beach of the Polynesian. It was supposed to make the shore more realistic and offer surfing. Apparently it caused too much erosion and the machine wasn't designed properly, regularly beating itself up while running. It was never officially placed into service. My understanding was that it was just left on the island to decay and fall apart. I have tried several times to spot it while staying at the Poly, as well as using Google and Bing, whatever sat-map program I could, but have never been able to actually see the machinery. I'm sure it was disguised well through design in order to maintain the "magic", but you would think you could spot some of it.:confused:
I believe that it was eventually removed.

DisneySaint

I have found some pictures of the ruins of Cranium Command at Epcot, if you click the lostepcot link in my post you can see a picture showing the complete theatre is still in tac, not to mention buzzy looks like he's going bald...:lookaroun

All of that stuff is still there; Cranium Command, Body Wars, and many of the "wall-hugging" hands-on exhibits. Unfortunately, from what I remember, it was in pretty poor condition. None of that stuff is ever coming back.

Captain Hank

That is not a 20k sub; it is a hollow prop used at various conventions and special events. Mostly now, though, it just sits there.
From what I'd been told, it is, in fact, the top portion only of an old 20K sub. There was a lot more to the ride vehicle, but what is there was most of what was above the water line.

And, it has somewhat recently sailed on to what would have been Equatorial Africa in World Showcase.

Banksy

I find it sad that they just abandon things, i kind of expected them to be be a little more efficient with what they do with at there.

Oh well, i guess we were never meant to see it anyway :)

NiarrNDisney

flavious27

Not exactly sure what this is but theres some stuff on a road just past a creek near mission space. Looks like scrap metal and the buses the characters ride in Epcot.

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?v=2&cp=nqwd2f8647pq&scene=17482686&lvl=2&sty=b

QUOTE]

I don't know if this was mentioned but I believe the those trains may be the old Epcot Resort trams and the little huts are the temporary kiosks used for the Food and Wine festival.

Looks that way, they look like the stalls in roller coaster tycoon. Also, they are not showing up in wikimapia.

Sketch105

Couldn't they place it in the lake in front of dhs?

The Disney parks generally don't spend money that will not affect the bottom line directly, and it would take the cooperation of multiple departments to refurbished, move, and install something in that only a few loyal fans would enjoy.

And from what I would venture to guess, the special events section of Disney probably wants to hang onto that prop.

Now, if they were installing a Mysterious Island at the resort, and it was part of the placemaking... :)

Kirk88

Neat to see the what remains from the rides I enjoyed as a kid. 20K Leagues Under the Sea was my all time favorite when I was young. Believe it or not, I actually rode the Swan boats on my very 1st trip in '79. I was amazed to see the remains of it near the castle on my last visit in '96. I know I'll be looking next week when we head down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom