Ruined Holiday of a lifetime - Please help

Toft1

In October 35 of us are going to WDW for my daughters wedding. One of the guests is our 15 year old niece who has never been before and has been looking forward to the trip for the 2 years we have been planning.

On Friday she was attacked and suffered serious injuries including a broken cheekbone. Now she has been told that she should not go on any rides as this could cause the bones to move.:(

She has wanted to go to WDW since she was a little girl and now her first visit has been ruined.

What can we do to cheer her up?
Can you suggest things that she could do.

NewfieFan

All is not lost..... Get her doctor to be a little more specific and if necessary get a second opinion. Have him/her describe what conditions will make her bones move. Doctors have to be intentionally vague in instances like to avoid getting sued. Logic would dictate that roller coasters and more extreme rides like Dinosaur and M:S would be out but the rest of the parks would be wide open.

To make you niece not feel left out I would look at breaking your party up into 2 groups from time to time. It is almost assured that amongst those other 34 people that there will be several others that do not want to do thrill rides. When group 1 goes on Space mountain group 2 can do TTA or Buzz or both. A few top secret ice cream trips never hurt either. :slurp:

To repeat what Master Yoda has already said, you need to find out exactly what he/she means by no rides. My husband is a doctor and said that he can't see a problem with the gentle rides that are no more intense than a ride in the family car. But you need to get YOUR doctor's advice NOT my husband's. I'm sorry to hear what happened but at least you have time to adjust expectations. Knowing that she can't go on any of the fast/bumpy rides she can now plan and look forward to all the other wonderful things that Disney has to offer. I know I can't compare a preschooler and a teenager but my son was afraid of most rides and we spent 7 days doing lots of other things and we were kept quite busy. I'm sure you will still have a lovely vacation! Best of luck to all of you.

Upvote 0

WTBAD

One thing nobody has mentioned that my daughters like to do is shopping. DTD has more stores then most malls. Also get her on here & let her look at some of the members photo ablums. She can pick out somethings to do. Take a look at www.wdwig.com. There are a lot of planning tips and things to do outside of WDW. Don't forget the Boardwalk. There are street preformers at night & there's Beaches & Cream. Try a Kitchen Sink.

Upvote 0

Eyorefan

Like everyone has said, the holiday is far from ruinend. Just being in Disney World is a dream come true!

I think people have done a really good job of pointing out all the other rides that are out there that might not be too rough, not to mention the shoping, eating, parades, fire works, street performers... the list of things to do goes on and on.

I also want to through in the fun of just hanging out at the resorts. I have been to Disney World many times when I was not my full self. On our latest trip, I was there a week after surgery. Needless to say, I was not up for long days in the parks filled with lost of thrill rides. I still had tons of fun just hanging out at our resort, going to the pool, eating in the resturants, and then heading to the park at night when it was cooler.

Really everything in life is how you look at it. Just tell her to go and have fun doing what she can do, and look at what she can't do right now as an excuess to save up for a return trip! :animwink:

Upvote 0

Toft1

Original Poster
Thank you everyone.
You have come up with some wonderful ideas.
I will pass these on to her tonight to cheer her up.
:)

Upvote 0

disneycouple

Theres a lot to do. Tell her not to worry about it she will have a great time. As many of the people know here i had cancer earlier this year. One month after being released from the hospital i was at the world. I was still weak but i had the time of my life because the whole time i was on that machine all i could think of is where i was going when it was over. I stayed away from rough rides and i still had a blast. So have fun it will be great if you make it so.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Jessie&Buzz

I'm very sorry that she went through that. I'll keep her in my prayers.

Everyone has given excellent ideas. I can't add anything else. Have a wonderful trip and Congrats to your daughter on her wedding!

Upvote 0

Mystic

As everyone else has stated, there is lots for her to do in the parks and around the resorts that don't involve 'thrill' rides. Why not introduce her to the wonderful world of allearsnet.com and let her discover what all Disney has to offer.

Upvote 0

dizzney

Thats terrible about your niece, Check with your doctor and see www.allearsnet.com for recommendations. It would seem to me that she can do all the rides except those not recommended for pregnant women and the signs are clearly posted.

It is a wonderful place to be and you will all enjoy it despite this, there is so much more than just rides!:animwink:

Upvote 0

Ravenclaw87

Hmm... well, I'm only a few years older than your niece, and, when I was 15, I absolutely loved DTD. There's one store, especially, I'm sure she will like--- the surf shop, I'm having a momentary blank as to what it's called, but they carry all the same stuff that PacSun does. I'm sure she'll love it.

When I was 15, I also fell in love with Disney Bears. Buy her one. They're cute and fuzzy, and will be nice to cuddle up with if she's feeling down.

I think she'll like the World Showcase too, especially the shops in France and the UK. Both these shops have a great selection of designer perfumes, and the UK pavilion has some really cool Beatles memorabilia. (The France pavilion usually has some really cool clothing, too.) France also has the distinction of having some GORGEOUS young guys working in their shops... tell her that. She'll be excited. :) And don't forget to watch the World Showcase players!

Epcot was definitely my favorite park when I was 15, and it probably will be hers, too. Sure, she can't go on MS or TT, but the lines for those are usually too long anyway. There's tons of stuff to do, and just don't focus on what she can't do--- focus on what she CAN do. :)

Have fun!!! When do you leave?!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom