Roy O. Disney Steam Locomotive Broken Down (repaired) and Liberty Belle News

EricsBiscuit

Original Poster
Do you know exactly what kind of part or where the Roy was on the line when the incident took place? Yeah, you don't need 5 locomotives when you have only 3 stations (and normal operation is only 2 trains). Please don't think I'm stupid, but what's up with the Walter? Refurb?
Walter E. Disney is fro- I mean he is currently on a refurb and will be out for 2 ~ years. It won't take as long as Lilly for obvious reasons. Good news is that they should have all four locos in time for 50th. Fun fact is that the Roy was not there for opening day and was going to be named the Roger E. Broggie. Roy Disney in the flesh didn't want something named after him. So when the loco was ready (after Roy passed away 2 months after the park opened) it was named after Roy and engine 3 was named REB.

Last edited:

Captain Barbossa

Fun fact is that the Roy was not there for opening day and was going to be named the Roger E. Broggie. Roy Disney in the flesh didn't want something named after him. So when the loco was ready (after Roy passed away 2 months after the park opened) it was named after Roy and engine 3 was named REB.
Know all about that.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney isn't under FRA to my knowledge. But yes Walter should get the full boiler inspection I am sure.

No Disney is not under FRA but the regulations appear to be written to encompass all 'steam locomotives' irrespective of whether the railroad is 'private' as Disney or a mining or logging railroad would be or a classified railroad under FRA

Brief description here the key is 'any steam locomotive'

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/230.17

NeonNinja

Have to admit I knew something didn't sound right with the Roy when it goes by something sounded like it was loose as it was making that noise since 2014

Disney-Trains

The way Disney operates their steam locomotives they would need to do a 1,472 every 5 years on each locomotive. Is there any evidence that they do?

EricsBiscuit

Original Poster
He meant four. Fun fact: Disney actually purchased five locomotives, but the 5th one was in to bad of shape to be restored.
Yes and they also bought a second 5th loco in the 90s but it was too weak for here and too heavy for DL. So they traded it for the Ward Kimball that is engine 5 at DL. Maybe we will get a 5th loco for our 50th?

Love the new profile pic!! @EricsBiscuit
Thank you! I took it last weekend. Roger and Lilly are looking beautiful!

Disneyrailfan1996

Do you know exactly what kind of part or where the Roy was on the line when the incident took place? Yeah, you don't need 5 locomotives when you have only 3 stations (and normal operation is only 2 trains). Please don't think I'm stupid, but what's up with the Walter? Refurb?
I was not there when roy broke the part, but the CM I spoke to didn't have much info regarding the part or where roy was when it happened. As for Walter, yes he is out for a refurb. No word on whether or not he'll have any of the additions Lilly has; he might have an LED head light like lilly when he comes back though – that's my guess since that's the easiest change to make on him (considering that it's not a mechanical part).

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The way Disney operates their steam locomotives they would need to do a 1,472 every 5 years on each locomotive. Is there any evidence that they do?

Remember this rule came into effect 2012 or so and a lot of steam operations have started overhaul programs since then even Union Pacific is overhauling their entire steam fleet

Disney-Trains

Oh I am well aware of the FRA rules, I just don't think WDW fall under them.

For one.. You would need an FRA qualified crew, both Engineer and Conductor to run the train.

The "any steam locomotive" statement would only apply to "any steam locomotive" on an FRA Raolroad.

Now... FRA may one day get involved at Disney... That's definafely possible.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Oh I am well aware of the FRA rules, I just don't think WDW fall under them.

For one.. You would need an FRA qualified crew, both Engineer and Conductor to run the train.

The "any steam locomotive" statement would only apply to "any steam locomotive" on an FRA Raolroad.

Now... FRA may one day get involved at Disney... That's definafely possible.

I think 'any steam locomotive' means exactly what it says as we have a couple of steam tourist lines which have taken their steam offline for the 15 year inspection even though they are not subject to FRA rules. and are running old Alco and Baldwin Diesel switchers and even some covered wagons (EMD F-3/7) ,

Now it MAY not be FRA who is enforcing this regulation but the insurance carriers saying if you are going to run steam it's going to be done under FRA rules for motive power maintenance as it's an objective standard the insurance carrier can refer to.

And thats not necessarily a bad thing as regular maintenance will keep the steam alive for future generations to enjoy and marvel at. Because a steam locomotive is almost a living thing you can almost hear them breathing.

Disney-Trains

The tourist line you are referencing is most likely standard gauge and would fall under FRA.

I'm not trying to argue here... I'm just saying that I don't think Disney locomotives get 1,472 rebuilds the same way an FRA railway would need to.

Disone

I think 'any steam locomotive' means exactly what it says as we have a couple of steam tourist lines which have taken their steam offline for the 15 year inspection even though they are not subject to FRA rules. and are running old Alco and Baldwin Diesel switchers and even some covered wagons (EMD F-3/7) ,

Now it MAY not be FRA who is enforcing this regulation but the insurance carriers saying if you are going to run steam it's going to be done under FRA rules for motive power maintenance as it's an objective standard the insurance carrier can refer to.

And thats not necessarily a bad thing as regular maintenance will keep the steam alive for future generations to enjoy and marvel at. Because a steam locomotive is almost a living thing you can almost hear them breathing.
The tourist line you are referencing is most likely standard gauge and would fall under FRA.

I'm not trying to argue here... I'm just saying that I don't think Disney locomotives get 1,472 rebuilds the same way an FRA railway would need to.
Help me here.... what are / is a 1472 rebuild?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom