Roy O. Disney Steam Locomotive Broken Down (repaired) and Liberty Belle News

EricsBiscuit

Original Poster
According to a CM today, the Roy O. Disney locomotive "threw off" a part and is now broken. The scale of the part is unknown by me. On the bright side, they are in the process of making a new part and it should be operational again in a couples months at most (the parts must be fabricated from scratch as the locomotive is 101 years old).

In other MK steam news, you may have noticed that the whistle on the Liberty Belle sounded shallow at first before sounding louder, well the whistle on the Liberty Belle has been fixed. One of the valves feeding steam to it was too small, so they replaced it and now the whistle is loud and clear again. In October the park (I guess the execs) will decide whether to replace the boiler on her. All the CMs I've talked believe they will. Also, in November, a CM told me she is going down for a refurb and that the boiler would be installed next year. Furthermore, a new automatic pump will be installed so that the poor engineer doesn't have to go from the Johnson rod to the boiler every 10 minutes to add water to the boiler.

Captain Barbossa

According to a CM today, the Roy O. Disney locomotive "threw off" a part and is now broken. The scale of the part is unknown by me. On the bright side, they are in the process of making a new part and it should be operational again in a couples months at most (the parts must be fabricated from scratch as the locomotive is 101 years old).

In other MK steam news, you may have noticed that the whistle on the Liberty Belle sounded shallow at first before sounding louder, well the whistle on the Liberty Belle has been fixed. One of the valves feeding steam to it was too small, so they replaced it and now the whistle is loud and clear again. In October the park (I guess the execs) will decide whether to replace the boiler on her. All the CMs I've talked believe they will. Also, in November, a CM told me she is going down for a refurb and that the boiler would be installed next year. Furthermore, a new automatic pump will be installed so that the poor engineer doesn't have to go from the Johnson rod to the boiler every 10 minutes to add water to the boiler.
Do you know exactly where the Roy was on the line when this happened?

Last edited:

Captain Barbossa

Thanks for the update by the way!! It makes me a little nervous, since the Roy is over 100 years old, that he hasn't gone down for a refurb ever since the Lilly Belle has been back. Hope this isn't the beginning of a line of problems.

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Its illogical that Lilly Belle is looking at a boiler replacement after its overhaul at Strasburg RR Shops considering the boiler needed to be removed to do the frame repairs

As to Roy O Disney, Changing the injectors will make operations safer as the water will be maintained at a constant level

No Name

Thanks for sharing.

Do you know exactly where Roy was when this happened?

image.jpeg

EricsBiscuit

Original Poster
Do you know exactly where the Roy was on the line when this happened?

No

Its illogical that Lilly Belle is looking at a boiler replacement after its overhaul at Strasburg RR Shops considering the boiler needed to be removed to do the frame repairs

As to Roy O Disney, Changing the injectors will make operations safer as the water will be maintained at a constant level

LIBERTY Belle (steamboat!) will have automatic pumps and a new boiler. Lilly is fine she just got a new one.

Are you talking about a new boiler for Roy? Or Lilly Belle? Lilly Belle just got a new boiler.
Liberty Belle the steamboat

Disneyrailfan1996

Do you know anything about this @Disneyrailfan1996
I spoke to a CM today and she said that roy needs a part that they are trying to order. She has also said that it's tricky with what is going on with lilly and Roger. This afternoon I saw a sign on his gate saying "caution door closed" so it seems like it's pretty serious since it wasn't there this morning. Although I do not work on the railroad, I get to see the train shed every day I go into work. I feel bad for the crew as the lines have become lengthy at times (most apparent at fantasyland) and they only have 2 trains that can run. Sometimes I wonder if and how things would be different had they kept the 5th engine (not ward, but the original mogul they purchased), but with only 3 stations, why would you need 5 trains?

Voxel

President of Progress City
I spoke to a CM today and she said that roy needs a part that they are trying to order. She has also said that it's tricky with what is going on with lilly and Roger. This afternoon I saw a sign on his gate saying "caution door closed" so it seems like it's pretty serious since it wasn't there this morning. Although I do not work on the railroad, I get to see the train shed every day I go into work. I feel bad for the crew as the lines have become lengthy at times (most apparent at fantasyland) and they only have 2 trains that can run. Sometimes I wonder if and how things would be different had they kept the 5th engine (not ward, but the original mogul they purchased), but with only 3 stations, why would you need 5 trains?
It depends on the part. Based on your description I would assume a moving part of some sort, now I'm not sure what the steel/metal industry is like down here but at the Rail Museum I use to volunteer at we had agreements with the local plants that would allow us to come in and fabricate necessary parts (with their oversight and assistance of course), we also had an in shop blacksmith for small things. The time consuming part of it would be if it's that one part that has little documentation or schematics for or the the facilities for producing that part are backlogged.

EricsBiscuit

Original Poster
I would assume it's a part that their machinists can tackle. The CM I spoke to said they were fabricating it themselves. Which means they're probably doing it at central shops. It's just that they have a laundry lists of stuff to machine so it might take a couple of months.

Disney-Trains

I would assume it's a part that their machinists can tackle. The CM I spoke to said they were fabricating it themselves. Which means they're probably doing it at central shops. It's just that they have a laundry lists of stuff to machine so it might take a couple of months.

If it would take a couple of months they really should outsource it to Strasburg... They have an amazing turnaround time if the money is right.

Captain Barbossa

Do you know exactly what kind of part or where the Roy was on the line when the incident took place? Yeah, you don't need 5 locomotives when you have only 3 stations (and normal operation is only 2 trains). Please don't think I'm stupid, but what's up with the Walter? Refurb?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom